Resetting CHECK ENGINE light '95 NAS 90 SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 29th, 2015, 06:15 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Resetting CHECK ENGINE light '95 NAS 90 SW

I took my truck into a local mechanic that works on all sorts of cars including classic ones as my engine was making a clacking/tapping sound at idle that increased in speed when I stepped on the gas but soon disappeared. I've lived with it for a while but a gas station attendant thought it could be a rod or something coming loose and suggested I have it looked at.

Normally I would take it into the local LR dealer (Princeton) but the only mechanic versed in Defenders isn't there anymore. Anyway, my local guy removed the valve covers and intake plenum and removed/cleaned the rocker arms and oil passages and noticed no unusual wear that would be detrimental to continued use. He halfway suggested that I could replace the lifters for about $1000 but that would not guarantee solving the noise issue.

I was charged $311 and it still makes the same noise but if I can drive it knowing that nothing bad is going to happen, I'll live with it.

However, now my check engine light is on. I'm thinking he didn't reset it when he opened up the engine. Is there a way for me to reset it or let me know how to let him do this since I don't think he knows Rovers well. I just checked and it is an error 17 code that lights up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
However, now my check engine light is on. I'm thinking he didn't reset it when he opened up the engine. Is there a way for me to reset it or let me know how to let him do this since I don't think he knows Rovers well. I just checked and it is an error 17 code that lights up.
Code 17=Throttle Potentiometer

Yes, you can reset the light.

Land Rover On Board Diagnostics Codes - Pangaea Expeditions
"Once the problem is resolved, you can clear the code simply by disconnecting the vehicle battery for 30 seconds. If the check engine light returns, you will know that the mechanical problem is continuing to occur."

^^ I always liked their write-up ^^

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:24 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks Jeff,

That did it. Now going to install Jason's interior door handles and vents.

Regards,

Lawrence

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 95, check engine light, engine, ht, nas