Reseal Transfer Box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 30th, 2012, 05:53 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Reseal Transfer Box

Just resealed the transfer box with Really Right Stuff... how long should I wait before filling it back up with oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I wish you'd actually deal with the leaks rather than cover them up.
Any idea what that stuff does to all the bearings and gears?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I wish you'd actually deal with the leaks rather than cover them up.
Any idea what that stuff does to all the bearings and gears?
What are you talking about? Right Stuff is a gasket maker used for things like the access plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2012, 12:02 AM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
My truck's got nothing but gorilla tape and rust holding it together!

This is what I did... just for future reference and some tips that I learned.

1. Remove fill cap... I used a 1/2 socket driver... a bit hard to get to but an extension will help you get away from the brake drum. Remove drain plug and drain.

2. Remove the 10 bolts to the transfer plate (10mm). 3 are behind the y-pipes and hard to reach without dropping the pipes but doable (this references a 97). A ratcheting wrench and universal joint was helpful. Surprisingly, something so drenched with oil was still hard to get off... it needed a couple coats of PB Blaster to coax it.

3. I used a putty knife and lightly tapped it in between the plate and the transfer case. Popped off after that.

4. Cleaned the prior Right Stuff gasket off with a razor carefully... I used a window scraper thingy to keep it flat. The plate has a line down the middle of the outer edge (I presume to cause more of a seal) so you have to do each side separately. I wiped some more with a little goo gone and then degreaser... left to dry.

5. Probably could have gotten new bolts as mine has some deposits in the thread... also left over Right Stuff on the bolts. I used a nut and wire brush to clean the threads and made sure they went on smooth by hand. Applied hylomar to the threads.

6. Lined the cover plate (right on that line) and around the bolt holes with Right Stuff gasket maker like icing on a cake.

7. Carefully put back on.

8. Let dry for SIX HOURS!!!

9. Hylomar'd the drain plug and fill cap and put back on. Filled with Royal Purple 75w90. I needed a hand pump to get it in there and used about 2.25 qts. I was careful not to spill that expensive stuff.

Hopefully that was all right!!! I guess we'll see tomorrow when I drive around. I'll let you know if it leaks again. Let me know if I did something wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	54913   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1-1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	54914  

Name:	photo-3-1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	54915   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	54916  

Name:	photo-5.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	54917   Click image for larger version

Name:	D90-Workshop Manual.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	54918  

Old July 31st, 2012, 08:43 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlam View Post

1. Remove fill cap... I used a 1/2 socket driver... a bit hard to get to but an extension will help you get away from the brake drum. Remove drain plug and drain.

2. Remove the 10 bolts to the transfer plate (10mm). 3 are behind the y-pipes and hard to reach without dropping the pipes but doable (this references a 97). A ratcheting wrench and universal joint was helpful. Surprisingly, something so drenched with oil was still hard to get off... it needed a couple coats of PB Blaster to coax it.

3. I used a putty knife and lightly tapped it in between the plate and the transfer case. Popped off after that.

4. Cleaned the prior Right Stuff gasket off with a razor carefully... I used a window scraper thingy to keep it flat. The plate has a line down the middle of the outer edge (I presume to cause more of a seal) so you have to do each side separately. I wiped some more with a little goo gone and then degreaser... left to dry.

5. Probably could have gotten new bolts as mine has some deposits in the thread... also left over Right Stuff on the bolts. I used a nut and wire brush to clean the threads and made sure they went on smooth by hand. Applied hylomar to the threads.

6. Lined the cover plate (right on that line) and around the bolt holes with Right Stuff gasket maker like icing on a cake.

9. Hylomar'd the drain plug and fill cap and put back on. Filled with Royal Purple 75w90. I needed a hand pump to get it in there and used about 2.25 qts. I was careful not to spill that expensive stuff.

Hopefully that was all right!!! I guess we'll see tomorrow when I drive around. I'll let you know if it leaks again. Let me know if I did something wrong.

Very thorough post. I used permatex black RTV with the same results
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Lets us know if your leak free. I've got the same leak and hoping a reseal of the inspection plate does the trick.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:15 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Awesome right up. I hope it works. Guys that saw these things new said they weeped oil when they came off the truck....
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:38 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736 View Post
Guys that saw these things new said they weeped oil when they came off the truck....
I've heard that too. All I have to say is: YAY!
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:22 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nice post. I resealed my inspection plate last month on the 110, did exactly what you posted essentially. Good news is the inspection plate hasn't leaked since. Bad news is it made me realize the leak was actually coming from what I believe to be the intermediate shaft in the tcase.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 1st, 2012, 11:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Great write up!

Looking at your photo with the arrows makes me think my weeping leak also might be the inspection plate. I have always thought it was front or rear input seals because someone mentioned that as common. I just changed the oil but come next change i'm going to put a new gasket on and see if the leak stops. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlam

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:28 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
So 150 mi... a little off road running through low and high gears... there is a little bit of a weep from that one bottom bolt. Oh well. It's 100x times better than before and nothing dripping on the ground anymore but when I touch that bolt, it's wet.

If anyone figures out how to seal the transfer box better... would love to hear!
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:18 AM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
No... this bolt... it's just this one bolt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	55418  
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:32 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Is your breather clear?
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:37 AM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
errr. Not sure. How do you know or check?
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:52 AM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Reseal the shank of that bolt with 'the right stuff'

-Jeff
Next drain. There's $50 worth of Royal Purple in there!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions