Defender Source Forum banner

Requesting a little suspension advice

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  kolvedic 
#1 ·
I recently purchased the LR HD Springs and Bilstein shock set, but I still have stock rims and tires on my 97 Defender 90 LE. According to RN I can expect about a 1.5" lift with this set up. Any thoughts on just replacing the shocks right now and waiting to replace the springs until I have to replace the tires. There is still plenty of tread on the tires, so I don't want to replace them just yet. I know it's not a a big lift, but I'm a little concerned that even a 1.5" lift is going to look a little out of place with the stock rims and tires. Your advice is appreciated thanks.

Regards,
Noel

#3 ·
I did the same thing to a Disco I had and the tires did look a bit small, but I had replaced them only six months before the lift. I just drove it as long as I could stand it. Another alternative would be to try and work out a trade for bigger tires or sell your stock ones after finding lightly used bigger ones.

#4 ·
I believe the PO of my 94 ST installed same and kept the stock tires/rims. I think the truck would look a little nicer with slightly taller tires, but it does not look bad with the stock. FWIW, if you have the time to install the springs & shocks now, do it; worry about the tires later.

#5 ·
when you do replace the springs, i highly reccomend these products:1) ee shock mounts; 2) ee spring retainers; 3) ee spring isolators and; 4) ee securing rings. https://www.expeditionexchange.com/defender ... it seems like a lot to invest - probably in the $275-300, but dont be like me and want it later and have to take the susp. apart again. i thing the ride is much better and i like knowing that there isnt a thin piece of rusted factory metal keeping my spring from coming out at long articulation ... just my $.02

#6 ·
I would replace both the shocks and springs together... If the tires look too small, then down the road you can replace them. Or with in a few weeks, someone should be selling a set of tires, pick them up and sell off your existing tires. Also, you could always pick up an extra set of wheels and tires for trail riding.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the great input. I'll definitely put in both the shocks and springs this upcoming week. After doing some thread searching on tires and stock rims...it looks like I'll probably end up going for the 255/85R16 tires once the stock tires wear out.

Regards,
Noel

#8 ·
nmc said:
Thanks for all the great input. I'll definitely put in both the shocks and springs this upcoming week. After doing some thread searching on tires and stock rims...it looks like I'll probably end up going for the 255/85R16 tires once the stock tires wear out.

Regards,
Noel
Very good decision to install both at the same time. You would hate to have to do it again if you only installed the shocks. The 255/85 is a nice size and will look/fit well with your lift.

#9 ·
PM you email addy. I'll mail some pics of the exact set-up that has been on my truck for years now. Functional lift is about an inch only. You can notice the difference in the lift with stock tires, but it is not that bad.

The bilsteins will not throw a spring as they are to short to do so. The isolators and rubber shock towers are a good idea, but they really do not make that much of a difference. Get the retainers if your going to go with longer strock OME springs. Then you'll throw a spring.

EwS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.