Request: Pics of Alloys grinded to work - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 30th, 2016, 06:54 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Request: Pics of Alloys grinded to work

My 91 ROW D90 with rear drum brakes is landing soon and I wanted to have 5 nice new BFG A/T 265/75/16 tires waiting for it.

I want to run 265/75/16. I was disappointed to find out the nice matching stock wheels are 5.5 and can barely run a 235 tire, therefore I need wheels.

I order 5 tires from Discount Tire and got them to beat 4WD.com. Sweet. Tires arrive. Even sweeter.

Now onto wheels...

I like the Wolfs but disappointed they don't come in the same color white as my stock wheels. White on white is great, but not when the color doesn't match. I don't really want black wheels on the truck at this time, and silver steel wheels don't pop. Heritage wheels? Awesome, but too aggressive. Last option is to pay a body shop $400ish to have the wolfs painted. Now I have $800+ into a set of steel wheels. For that price ill get alloys. Wait what I need spacers?

Ugh. Ok fine, I will run spacers. I order and receive TerraFirma 30mm spacers. Now I can run any wheel any wheel and center cap combo. Who is better then me? Now to look for wheels...

I like the NAS freestyle tornado wheel and the Boosts. Due to the Brexit I was able to get a really good deal on 5 NTO boosts with 23 lugs from LRI Solutions and ordered them right away. Awaiting their arrival I started googling to find pictures of what my truck will look like...

Unfortunately along with pictures of D90's with boosts I find some threads saying for them to fit with centercaps, even with spacers, I have to grind the wheels? Are you kidding me?

Do I have to do this for NAS wheels if I want to run centercaps and therefore spacers? (Not that I can find?)

Is the grinding not a big deal? Or is it a sizable amount?

I would love to see some pictures of modified wheels.

If it is too crazy. I will sell the boosts when they get here and either get NAS wheels or I guess Wolfs.

thanks
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:02 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

The idea of machining wheels to fit a truck (especially one with aggressive off road tires) seems like a less than optimum plan.

I think you need about 30mm to clear everything. Yours look pretty close. I can measure mine in the morning.
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:04 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
There is tons of information if you Google all of this. I think you can take off the lock washers on your hub flange bolts if your truck has them but I think that stopped by 1991. If your axle caps stick out preventing alloy center caps from fitting, no amount of grinding is going to stop that.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:12 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
There is tons of information if you Google all of this. I think you can take off the lock washers on your hub flange bolts if your truck has them but I think that stopped by 1991. If your axle caps stick out preventing alloy center caps from fitting, no amount of grinding is going to stop that.
There isn't a ton of information on this. I've looked hard at this point.

With the 30mm spacers the rears will supposedly fit nothing needed. In the front supposedly I need to grind something inside the wheel? It is not a center cap issue but an issue related to the hub hitting the wheel because with the 30mm spacers the wheel studs are now rotated/offset from the hub.

All I have found is some hearsay, or a couple threads that never went anywhere. I want to see a picture of someone with boosts on the front of a ROW truck with center caps.
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:23 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Like I said the center caps aren't going to fit if the axle end caps stick out. You won't grin those down. Fitting center caps and fitting alloys with center caps are two different things. The only way to fit center caps over axle caps that stick out are to get thicker spacers or get newer type axles/hubs designed for alloy wheels.

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:25 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD

Adam, have you tried this:

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...95:8zpbxe3x-t4

It's another way to search the D90 board.

Try searching for "ALLOY GRIND" and "30mm SPACER" using the link above.

My $.02, nothing beats steelies on a Rover.

-Neil
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:32 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Like I said the center caps aren't going to fit if the axle end caps stick out. You won't grin those down. Fitting center caps and fitting alloys with center caps are two different things. The only way to fit center caps over axle caps that stick out are to get thicker spacers or get newer type axles/hubs designed for alloy wheels.
30mm isn't thick enough for alloys and center caps?
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:39 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
If your problem is the black plastic cap on the end of the axle stub that sticks out past the flush point of a center cap then the answer is no.

You are asking for pictures of what to grind to get the alloy Wheel to sit flush on thicker type axle flanges of earlier rovers. The contact pints will be the bolts that secure the drive flange. Replace the thick type parts with new ones or grind down the contact points.

Nobody can say for certain what is on your truck but if you have axle caps that stick out you cannot grind down a wheel and expect those to not stick out.

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:40 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
30mm isn't thick enough for alloys and center caps?
I'm pretty sure 30mm will do it. The spacers in the pics don't look like 30mm. I'm fairly positive I have 30mm on boosts on unknown axles. I'll go measure after battle bots. Don't judge.
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:46 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
This is a thick type with lock washer on flange bolts. If I took off washers and used 30mm I could fit an alloy but if the plastic cap in the middle sticks out on alloys then no grinding will stop that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467333907400-202753605.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	152863  

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:50 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
If your problem is the black plastic cap on the end of the axle stub that sticks out past the flush point of a center cap then the answer is no.

You are asking for pictures of what to grind to get the alloy Wheel to sit flush on thicker type axle flanges of earlier rovers. The contact pints will be the bolts that secure the drive flange. Replace the thick type parts with new ones or grind down the contact points.

Nobody can say for certain what is on your truck but if you have axle caps that stick out you cannot grind down a wheel and expect those to not stick out.
Supposedly the issue is not the center cap at all. That is resolved with the 30mm spacers thickness.

The issue is this. When the spacers are on, they rotate the wheel studs, thus the wheel now hits on the center. I think you call them flange bolts. Supposedly you need to grind the wheel to make it fit. I want a picture of a wheel to see how much needs to be grinded. If it is too much, I will explore other options

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looks like what you are picturing are early 10 spline axles/hubs. I swap that type axle out completely for the later 24 spline stuff, and rear disc brakes.

Wait until you have everything and try it. Ea different alloy wheel design has different reliefs cast into it. One type might fit with some interference where a different design will fit perfectly.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 30th, 2016, 08:08 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD

Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...w-59298-2.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grinded.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	152864  
Old June 30th, 2016, 08:18 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I just measured 30mm. I have rear disks, but don't know exactly what axle.
Old June 30th, 2016, 08:39 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Looks like what you are picturing are early 10 spline axles/hubs. I swap that type axle out completely for the later 24 spline stuff, and rear disc brakes.

Wait until you have everything and try it. Ea different alloy wheel design has different reliefs cast into it. One type might fit with some interference where a different design will fit perfectly.
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

If you have any of those axle and brake conversation kits available PM me a price. I wouldn't mind the upgrade and not having to run spacers.
Old June 30th, 2016, 08:39 PM
swoodard23
Scott Woodard
1962 Series IIA

I had to grind the wheels to fit, but only the fronts. My spacers are lug centric. I thing there may be more trimming with the hub centric spacers. The boosts may have more clearance? The grinding was just enough to clear the bolts. I did it with an angle grinder. Being so little material, and so close to the center of the wheel, it does not seem to have effected wheel balance. No problems at my top speed of 65mph anyway. You will need the truck to know how much to trim but I recommend doing it prior mounting the tires.
Old June 30th, 2016, 09:57 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Just find any breaker yard or dismantler near you like rover bones/british boneyard AKA Randy Williams and ask if he has non-rusted D1 axle housings complete with diff and axles and hubs and brakes. Swap them on and reattach everything. You'll have 24 spline stuff, smaller hub flanges for alloy wheels, and alloy Wheel studs so you won't need spacers and won't ever have the issue with wolf wheels where the lugs don't quite fit all the way down (even though it doesn't matter).

Also if you post a picture of your actual truck and which spacers you are actually getting it would help people out in determining what they will suggest you do. You have posted two different types of spacers and I still don't know if you have thick or thin flanges.

Old July 1st, 2016, 06:00 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Just find any breaker yard or dismantler near you like rover bones/british boneyard AKA Randy Williams and ask if he has non-rusted D1 axle housings complete with diff and axles and hubs and brakes. Swap them on and reattach everything. You'll have 24 spline stuff, smaller hub flanges for alloy wheels, and alloy Wheel studs so you won't need spacers and won't ever have the issue with wolf wheels where the lugs don't quite fit all the way down (even though it doesn't matter).

Also if you post a picture of your actual truck and which spacers you are actually getting it would help people out in determining what they will suggest you do. You have posted two different types of spacers and I still don't know if you have thick or thin flanges.
The pictures in the first post are of my truck and parts. The spacers are TerraFirma 30mm. If I zoom in on the front wheel in the pics, it looks like they are the "thick" flanges. FML.

Swapping out basically the whole front drive end of the truck for alloy wheels doesn't sound like something I am into at this time. Sounds like a lot of money and hassle.

------ Follow up post added July 1st, 2016 07:01 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodard23 View Post
I had to grind the wheels to fit, but only the fronts. My spacers are lug centric. I thing there may be more trimming with the hub centric spacers. The boosts may have more clearance? The grinding was just enough to clear the bolts. I did it with an angle grinder. Being so little material, and so close to the center of the wheel, it does not seem to have effected wheel balance. No problems at my top speed of 65mph anyway. You will need the truck to know how much to trim but I recommend doing it prior mounting the tires.
Cool thanks. I will wait till the wheels and truck arrive in a couple weeks to make the call. Just hoping I don't have the thick flanges which looks like a lot more material will be needed to be removed.

If it is too much ill call RN and grab some Wolfs ASAP.
Old July 1st, 2016, 06:25 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
What flange does this look like to everyone? The thick one? If it is, I guess I don't really have an option for alloys at all. I will just get Wolfs now and be done with it.

I will also see if I can apply the money I sent to LRI for seats or tire carrier or something if the wheels haven't left the UK yet.

Old July 1st, 2016, 07:35 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

Appears to be early 10 spline. Stick out will not clear alloy wheel center caps without a thick spacer. I'd seriously consider swapping in the DI axles as suggested earlier. It's an improvement all around. That's the plan for my '84 110.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alloy