Replacing the rear crossmember in a NAS 110, what do you do with the "saddle" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 28th, 2010, 11:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Replacing the rear crossmember in a NAS 110, what do you do with the "saddle"

So on NAS 110 frames there is a "saddle" welded over the rear frame to reinforce it. ROW trucks don't have this. How do I weld on the new rear crossmember with this thing in the way? Do I grind off the welds and remove it, or do I cut the new rear crossmember so it fits around it?

I am planning to tackle this over the weekend so some help now would be appreciated.

TYIA

Ron
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij

BTT

I am going to grind it off unless someone suggests something else ....
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:41 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I can't visualize what you're talking about. Let me go back to my room and post some pix of working on the rear x member of my 110. Maybe your answer will be readily apparent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
This piece here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NAS D110 Frame Saddle.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	28090  
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Which "saddle" are you referring to ? The lower anti sway-bar bar mount ? Quick work with a sawszall. Although I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a plasma cutter ;-)
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:56 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Ron,

When I get around to replacing the rear crossmember on the frame I got from you, I plan on grinding off the welds on the "saddle" or whatever you want to call that plate on top of the U portion of the frame. You are right, the ROW trucks don't have it but I guess it does add some strength...I haven't decided whether I will weld it back on.

Mike
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij

That is the saddle. JimC, what did JoeZ do with yours?
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
We replaced the crossmember plus extensions all the way back to the spring perch, so it would have been tossed with the old x-member.

------ Follow up post added May 30th, 2010 07:19 PM ------

Yep, checked the pix. Saddle was there, we didn't replace it. Truck hasn't fallen apart yet. Actually, I guess Mike should chime in to verify that the truck hasn't fallen apart...

Old May 31st, 2010, 10:20 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ron, this doesn't look any different to the ROW frame. I have plenty of pictures of when I did Janey's rear crossmember. In my case I left them, although on one side it would have been better to have had longer extensions.

http://gallery.lhsw.com/janey_rear_cross_member

hth
charles
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Charles, Janey does not appear to have had the saddle. If you look at the picture Jon posted it is the thing with the flat top under the mounts for the rear tub. This is NAS 110 specific. The problem is the replacement crossmember with extensions ends right in the middle of the saddle. If I had longer extensions (like JimC apparently did) I could cut the whole thing off, but I do not.

Ron
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:26 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Oh I get it now, sorry. I did see it, but thought you were talking about the sway bar mounts.

If it were me I'd cut down the middle, and then fab up the missing half once the replacement cross member is in place. Doesn't look very complicated - 3 pieces of flat stock right?
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Here are some pix that make it very clear where the saddle is at, and how much I replaced. I think if I were I, I would grind off the welds around the saddles, remove them, and then do the work. If I had noticed (and we had time), I would have welded on new ones to the crossmember we installed. I'm just anal like that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3420 - Resized.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	28156   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3472 - Resized.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	28157  

Name:	DSCF3550 - Resized.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	28158  

Old May 31st, 2010, 11:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Oh I get it now, sorry. I did see it, but thought you were talking about the sway bar mounts.

If it were me I'd cut down the middle, and then fab up the missing half once the replacement cross member is in place. Doesn't look very complicated - 3 pieces of flat stock right?
Humm, I am going to tackle this tomorrow and I like this idea. I have a bunch of 1/8in x 3in strap around to use to make it whole.

PS do you have the extension brackets to mount a NAS D90 rear bumper on a 110? Do you want to sell them?

edit: JimC thanks for the pics. My crossmember has shorter extensions than yours does. They end in the middle of the saddle.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:44 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
edit: JimC thanks for the pics. My crossmember has shorter extensions than yours does. They end in the middle of the saddle.
No problem. At least you'll be able to leave the tub support in the same position. The one that came on the new crossmember ended up in the wrong spot on my truck and I had to take out a tub pad to get it to sit down level. I stuck pond liner in there instead. Sub-optimal for sure.

Old May 31st, 2010, 11:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
PS do you have the extension brackets to mount a NAS D90 rear bumper on a 110? Do you want to sell them?
It's probably motivated by effort, but I have pretty much decided to keep them on the trailer, and will but a tank under there. But several people have asked for them already too, and if I do remove them (will be decided before galvanizing) I'd feel obligated to give them a shot at them first. I want to say Dave Lucas was #1, then Pendy.
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:20 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Can you post pics and/or specs so I can make my own?

Thanks again.

Ron

PS I have a free 110 rear tank you can have. It as a pinhole leak, but is not too bad.
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:44 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Strangely, the saddles on mine are the where the worst rust is. They are the reason I need to get the longer extensions.
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:05 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Can you post pics and/or specs so I can make my own?
Man I completely misread that question - yesterday was a long day. The brackets for mounting the nas bumper to a 110 are dead simple. I'll get you measurements but the only thing that matters are the diameter of the holes and the distance between them.

Quote:
PS I have a free 110 rear tank you can have. It as a pinhole leak, but is not too bad.
mmh, I'll have to think about this one. Fuel is the one thing I don't think I want in tanks under it, but maybe it would be useful as a waste water tank. BTW I'll be seeing Ren Ching before he heads up your way, so will give him your bumper goodies from Dmitry's bumper.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Thanks!

Ron
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Strap dimensions

I don't have a picture handy but I think I posted one here once before. I'll take one sometime but here are the important dimensions: 3 3/4" center to center of the holes. one hole 3/8, the other 1/2. 1/4 thick strap - forgot to measure width but it's probably 2-3".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, ac, nas, nas 110