Defender Source Forum banner

Replacing the rear crossmember in a NAS 110, what do you do with the "saddle"

Tags
110 ac nas nas 110
3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  cgalpin 
#1 ·
Replacing the rear crossmember in a NAS 110, what do you do with the "saddle"

So on NAS 110 frames there is a "saddle" welded over the rear frame to reinforce it. ROW trucks don't have this. How do I weld on the new rear crossmember with this thing in the way? Do I grind off the welds and remove it, or do I cut the new rear crossmember so it fits around it?

I am planning to tackle this over the weekend so some help now would be appreciated.

TYIA

Ron

#4 ·
This piece here...

Attachments

#6 ·
Ron,

When I get around to replacing the rear crossmember on the frame I got from you, I plan on grinding off the welds on the "saddle" or whatever you want to call that plate on top of the U portion of the frame. You are right, the ROW trucks don't have it but I guess it does add some strength...I haven't decided whether I will weld it back on.

Mike

#8 ·
We replaced the crossmember plus extensions all the way back to the spring perch, so it would have been tossed with the old x-member.

------ Follow up post added May 30th, 2010 07:19 PM ------

Yep, checked the pix. Saddle was there, we didn't replace it. Truck hasn't fallen apart yet. Actually, I guess Mike should chime in to verify that the truck hasn't fallen apart...

#10 ·
Charles, Janey does not appear to have had the saddle. If you look at the picture Jon posted it is the thing with the flat top under the mounts for the rear tub. This is NAS 110 specific. The problem is the replacement crossmember with extensions ends right in the middle of the saddle. If I had longer extensions (like JimC apparently did) I could cut the whole thing off, but I do not.

Ron

#13 ·
Humm, I am going to tackle this tomorrow and I like this idea. I have a bunch of 1/8in x 3in strap around to use to make it whole.

PS do you have the extension brackets to mount a NAS D90 rear bumper on a 110? Do you want to sell them?

edit: JimC thanks for the pics. My crossmember has shorter extensions than yours does. They end in the middle of the saddle.

#12 ·
Here are some pix that make it very clear where the saddle is at, and how much I replaced. I think if I were I, I would grind off the welds around the saddles, remove them, and then do the work. If I had noticed (and we had time), I would have welded on new ones to the crossmember we installed. I'm just anal like that.

Attachments

#18 ·
Can you post pics and/or specs so I can make my own?
Man I completely misread that question - yesterday was a long day. The brackets for mounting the nas bumper to a 110 are dead simple. I'll get you measurements but the only thing that matters are the diameter of the holes and the distance between them.

PS I have a free 110 rear tank you can have. It as a pinhole leak, but is not too bad.
mmh, I'll have to think about this one. Fuel is the one thing I don't think I want in tanks under it, but maybe it would be useful as a waste water tank. BTW I'll be seeing Ren Ching before he heads up your way, so will give him your bumper goodies from Dmitry's bumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.