Replacing older doors with newer type: any tips? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Replacing older doors with newer type: any tips?

OK, I have spent enough time admiring my new one-piece, zinc dipped, all-that doors in my living room. And the kids are complaining that they have no place to play. So it's time to heave off the older doors and mount the new ones. I am going to be using the existing hinges. So ... do the newer doors simply fit straight on? My 110 is a 1998 so will the door strikers work as is with the new doors? Any other advice before I crack on would be great. Thanks!

Cheers,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Yep, if you already have the 90s-era SW doors, the 2007+ ones will fit straight on and should only require minor adjustments/hinge shimming, etc. if even that. (At least the front ones, as that's what I've used a couple of times.) If you're also talking about the rear doors, I'll have to defer to some of the other folks here for confirmation, as I've only dealt with 90s (two-doors).

Enjoy. The new-style ones are a significant improvement.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Where did you source them?
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Manimal, I bought the front pair from someone off of eBay back when there were a lot of NTO front doors coming up regularly for sale. That seems to have stopped lately for some reason. The middle pair I eventually just gave up on the idea of finding a NTO pair for a reasonable price, as they just never seemed to be available, and I paid a small fortune to one of the vendors here for the last pair they had in stock. Can't remember where I got the rear door but I think it may have been via the Parts section here from another D90 member. For sure the newer doors are becoming harder to get a hold of, at least complete with door cards and glass etc. My very good 1998 doors, which have little to no issues, will be up for sale here once I get them off!

Cheers,
John
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Push button to push button doors = easy replacement. Everything should transfer over OK.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

John I sent you a PM. About old doors.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, door