Replacing my water pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Replacing my water pump

Does anyone know how to get the bolt out of the pump that's directly behind the power steering pulley? I loosened the pump pivot nut but still can't get enough movement to get that screw out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Remove the power steering pulley.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:08 PM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

Eric-

You will probably have to buy/borrow a strap wrench in order to get enough torque on the power steering pulley bolts in order to remove them. They take a 10mm socket, and are easily rounded off, especially if there is a lot of rust/corrosion on the threads. I recommended replacing both the power steering pump and the water pump pulley bolts with some fresh 13mm bolts- more grip to remove them in the future, and coat them with some anti-sieze compound- like permatex, to protect the bolts.... you cannot remove the water pump w/o removing that power steering pulley.....

good luck-

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Thanks guys, I'll be tackling the rest of the project Friday night
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:51 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I think I refitted the belt mine to undo the bolts. Then you put tension on it and stick a rag that will wedge between the belt and the pulley when you try to undo the nuts. Went like a charm.
Definitely spray wd40/liquid wrench if you suspect corrosion now and a few times until you get to it.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Well I got the new pump on today. Of the four long bolts, I have a 6" bolt that just doesn't seem to tighten up in the hole I took it out of. I don't want to over tighten and #$@% it up. Does anyone know witch hole the 6 inches goes in?
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Anyone??
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I'm guessing you didn't record the placing or wouldn't need to ask ... I did the same and found that comparing different bolts in different holes I was able to figure out which bolt went where by the amount sticking out.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

I punched the bolts through some cardboard to help remember what went where but two might've gotten mixed up in the cleaning/ lubing of them. I tried the six incher in all four hole and couldn't set it in any of them
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:22 AM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

Eric-

I'm a bit confused by your terminology- "couldn't set it in any of them" - what does that mean? The 6 inch bolt will fit in all 4 holes up to the bolt head? or the 6 inch bolt can't be tightened in any of the 4 holes? or you can no longer sink the 6 inch bolt up to it's bolt head- it bottoms out leaving some of the bolt shaft exposed?????

I agree with Jason above- by a series of bolt swapping, you should be able to determine which bolt goes where.

Now, does the 6 inch bolt not tighten up when you try and do that? ie, does the 6 inch bolt/washer sink all the way in it's hole, snug up to the water pump flange, and then not tighten up? Think about it- that 6 inch bolt is only meant to fasten to one hole- the bolt shaft probably goes right thru one of the coolant passages. If you try and put it into one of the other bolt holes, it will tighten and you'll have several extra inches of bolt sticking out and in the way..... If it goes all the way into it's hole and just doesn't tighten up, then the threads are stripped and you've got a problem to deal with... max torque on bolts into aluminum is only about 25-27 ft/lbs- very easy to strip out if someone play gorilla with the wrenches.

Let us know what you have going on here..... if the threads are stripped out of the block, you have several options for dealing with that- none that I'd be particularly happy with- helicoils, timeserts, etc- for the pain of getting the job done- I've never repaired a hole so deep into the block.... there is another easy option I have used in such cases, but let's find out what your situations is first......

Tim
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Long story short, the six inch bolt torqes up with about 3/4 inch thread sticking out.
The fine folks at Rovers North just sent me a copy of the true bolt size layout. I will double check them and hopefully solve this issue.
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
Long story short, the six inch bolt torqes up with about 3/4 inch thread sticking out.
The fine folks at Rovers North just sent me a copy of the true bolt size layout. I will double check them and hopefully solve this issue.
You should post that up so others can use it for future reference.
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

well bugger...

That shop manual image didn't do any good then???
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:39 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Is it possible that you have some crud - like an old piece of gasket - in the bolt hole, resulting in the bolt not fully seating? Can you hit it with some compressed air?
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:00 PM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

I agree with jefferson above- something has to be in the way to prevent that bolt from seating all the way in. I am surprised it tightened up. Hit the hole with compressed air. If you don't have a compressor, buy one.... tell your wife it's for her. My wife says my compressor is her favorite tool in the garage- uses it to blow off everything- from the mud on her boots from our little ranch, to the mud on the little boys and dogs......

To find out if the threads are stripped in that bolt hole- or any hole for that matter, try this:

Put a dab of grease on a piece of straightened coat hanger, or a piece of welding rod, then stick it down the long bolt hole. If it has metal flakes out it when you pull it out, those threads are stripped and a repair must be made... the other obvious clue is that it won't torque up......
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Another idea - is it possible that the thickness of the mating portion of the replacement water pump is different from the original? Seems unlikely, but perhaps the spec is slightly off if it is not OEM, or perhaps just machined wrong.
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:02 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Was the old pump sealed with silicone ala RTV? Silicone is evil. An overly liberal application can form a silicone plug that prevent proper torquing of fasteners.
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

I finally got the pump installed. I blew out the chassis mount holes with my air compressor and then was able to properly tighten the bolts.Here is a copy of the info from Rovers North for those interested:. Thanks for all the help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D90 water pump bolts.pdf (64.8 KB, 49 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, water, water pump