Replacing my fuel tank - ROW / UK side mount - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Replacing my fuel tank - ROW / UK side mount

So i could give you guys a long write up, but I found this one online and couldn't find anything on this forum - so i figured I'd get the link in here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=19112

In short that write up is pretty much spot on.

The one thing I found is the bolts were stuck on my front support bracket, so I just cut the bracket in half, removed the gas tank, then removed the bracket and welded it back together, simple fix.

You need to remove the front bracket in order to drop the tank, and even then it requires some kicking and yanking.

Took about an hr to get the old one out, gonna put the new on in tomorrow and will follow up with any additional info.

FWIW - my tank started leaking exactly in the spot described in that link, a new on from RN was about $300 shipped.

EDIT:
I just got an idea - I'm thinking why not remove the battery/battery box from the other side, put in a second fuel tank and relocate the battery under the hood somewhere... I'm sure I could find a place to fit a battery in that engine bay, theres loads of room.

anyone do this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

I had a pair of alum tanks made a few years ago to replace the origional saddle tank & put a second under the battery side. I use a 2 way fuel & gauge valve to switch between them, works great & the motor doesn't even cough if you switch on the run

Here are a few pic's of them & the fuel filler I added to fill the second tank up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	50977   Click image for larger version

Name:	TT 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	50978  

Name:	TT 3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	50979  
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I was thinking have the second tank just pump into the first....

where did you put your battery and how did you mount it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I was thinking have the second tank just pump into the first....

where did you put your battery and how did you mount it
Made a box to go behind the tub bulkhead in the 90, now I'm rebuilding it again so have made a simple battery cradle for a pair of PC1500's. Same place as was in the tub... just not anymore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05409_640x480.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	51039  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:28 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Looks like I'm getting lazy and am just gonna wrap up the single tank.... Thats why they made jerry cans right haha!

The battery box is on my list, when I cut the old one out maybe I'll get ambitous for this project.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Andy I really like those tanks you had made up. Do you still have the contact of who made those? or a drawing so I could get some made up? daniel. marcello @gmail.com
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Andy I really like those tanks you had made up. Do you still have the contact of who made those? or a drawing so I could get some made up? daniel. marcello @gmail.com
Sorry.... not got his # now..... but I do have a very nice CAD drawing I drew for him to make them from

I feel tokens are in order
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I'm sure those tanks were a pretty penny, the proline replacement is about $300 shipped. Obvisouly there are advantages to an AL tank, but depending on the price point it might make more sense to go with a steel OEM replacement..

Way I figure it, if the steel one i just took out was good for 25 yrs, Im ok with this one lasting another 25
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Sorry not to pull away from your topic Adrian, but I was hoping to fit two 12 gallon tanks under the driver and passenger seats I just know the tanks have a small dent in the front corner to clear that frame piece. I'm wounding if I could dent in the other side for the driver side too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Defender10.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	51060  
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
What dent are you talking about? Do you mean the angled corner? I dont think you'd be able to "dent" it in, its pretty stout material and about 2-3" of corner is "cut" off
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
What dent are you talking about? Do you mean the angled corner? I dont think you'd be able to "dent" it in, its pretty stout material and about 2-3" of corner is "cut" off
yup that angled corner that misses the frame outrigger. Does your have it on both sides? meaning you could use it under both the passenger and driver?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

The OEM tank will only fit on the one side, that's why I had the alum ones made by my buddy in the UK.

There also a larger for a bit more range and have both the corners angled to miss both the front & rear suspension mounts. I looked at using a OEM tank on the opposite side and it'll be a royal PITA to reshape it without using a sledge hammer !

You'll also need to add the mounts onto the rear bulkhead out rigger & get a front tank mount, grind off the welds, flatten it & bend it back the opposite way. Weld up & presto you have the opposite hand mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TT 4_640x480.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	51061  
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
I'm sure those tanks were a pretty penny, the proline replacement is about $300 shipped. Obvisouly there are advantages to an AL tank, but depending on the price point it might make more sense to go with a steel OEM replacement..

Way I figure it, if the steel one i just took out was good for 25 yrs, Im ok with this one lasting another 25
All depends if your buddy own's a race car shop & builds stuff out of alum all the time.... doesn't it
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Awesome looking work. A while ago some said that they had some tanks made up for about the same cost as OEM ones.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
All depends if your buddy own's a race car shop & builds stuff out of alum all the time.... doesn't it

Haha that would help!

As you mentioned, the tank I got only has the angled corner on one side. The lip or flange thats halfway between both halves is about 3 or 4 pieces of steel sandwhiched together, so bending them isn't an option.

Andy if you have CAD drawings could you email them to me as well? I have a friend who can TIG weld pretty well, and a neighbor with a sheetmetal shop. I'm thinking between the two of them I coul get something made up
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Haha that would help!

As you mentioned, the tank I got only has the angled corner on one side. The lip or flange thats halfway between both halves is about 3 or 4 pieces of steel sandwhiched together, so bending them isn't an option.

Andy if you have CAD drawings could you email them to me as well? I have a friend who can TIG weld pretty well, and a neighbor with a sheetmetal shop. I'm thinking between the two of them I coul get something made up
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:56 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
FWIW - my tank started leaking exactly in the spot described in that link, a new on from RN was about $300 shipped.
Dave Bobeck did a fix years back and I had the same issue earlier this year.

Before you spend gas/tire money on a new tank, drill out the spot welds holding the skid to the fuel tank and remove it from the fuel tank.

If the rest of the fuel tank is in good condition then what you will most likely find are pinhole leaks in the bottom of the fuel tank where the skid meets the fuel tank. There is a cardboard mastic used by the factory to adhere the skid to the fuel tank. This absorbs water and rusts the tank from the outside in.

I had pinhole leaks. After cleaning and derusting the entire tank, I used 30 minute epoxy and fiberglass fabric and reinforced the bottom of the tank. I repainted the fuel tank and the skid, then riveted the skid back onto the fuel tank, then replaced the fuel tank into the truck.

It's been working like a charm ever since. It took about a week of my time, but only cost me $80 in chemicals/paint/parts to clean out and refurb the tank.

BTW - if you need to buy a new tank, British Pacific had them for $175 before shipping. If you're near them, I would give them a try first.

Ed
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:49 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Dave Bobeck did a fix years back and I had the same issue earlier this year.

Before you spend gas/tire money on a new tank, drill out the spot welds holding the skid to the fuel tank and remove it from the fuel tank.

If the rest of the fuel tank is in good condition then what you will most likely find are pinhole leaks in the bottom of the fuel tank where the skid meets the fuel tank. There is a cardboard mastic used by the factory to adhere the skid to the fuel tank. This absorbs water and rusts the tank from the outside in.

I had pinhole leaks. After cleaning and derusting the entire tank, I used 30 minute epoxy and fiberglass fabric and reinforced the bottom of the tank. I repainted the fuel tank and the skid, then riveted the skid back onto the fuel tank, then replaced the fuel tank into the truck.

It's been working like a charm ever since. It took about a week of my time, but only cost me $80 in chemicals/paint/parts to clean out and refurb the tank.

BTW - if you need to buy a new tank, British Pacific had them for $175 before shipping. If you're near them, I would give them a try first.

Ed
Great help, but i already splurged on a new proline tank from RN

After the prying and smacking I had to do to get the old tank out, I dont think i would have been able to "repair" it lol.

Its all in and works great, just took it out for a bit, filled her up and no issues whatsover. I'm planning some longer trips in the next year or two and the peice of mind of a brand new tank is worth the extra couple hundred for me..... not to mention it only took about 2 hrs total from start to finish.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Wow Andy those tanks look great. If its not too big of a deal would you also be willing to share CAD drawings with me? I need to do something with mine since it was half full of water and fuel and rather small. Thanks. jeffro3 at mac.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, fuel, fuel tank, mount