Replacing Master Clutch Cylinder - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2016, 12:02 PM
mightymo
matthew m
'95 Disco 300TDI

Registry
Replacing Master Clutch Cylinder

Replacing the clutch mater cylinder on my 300tdi Disco 1 soon. The replacing of the part seems super easy, but I have to also reverse bleed it as well right. After some research on forums and the Youtubes, I can do this with an oil can and hose (I think). Where do I connect the hose to? From the top where they master cylinder is, or where the pipe goes from the cylinder? Sorry, I've never had to reverse bleed before and have no real idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0331161118a_HDR.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	146376  
1997 D90 NAS (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2016, 12:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
To reverse bleed you would connect to the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:29 PM
agentmulder
Agent Mulder
2008 110 PUMA

Registry
Yip, that's why it's called a reverse bleed - you're letting the bubbles natural tendency to raise to your advantage...

I got a long hose, connected it to the bleed valve and ran it up the the top of the engine, poured [strikethrough]oil[/strikethrough] brake-fluid into it until it was bubble free (no use introducing more air!), then connected the oil can. Might take a few tries to get it bubble free... Then after sucking out the old [strikethrough]oil[/strikethrough] brake-fluid in the master reservoir with a syringe, gave it 10 or so good pumps on the oil can to fill it up again (your number of pumps may differ), kept on doing this until both of the following were true:
  1. the [strikethrough]oil[/strikethrough] brake-fluid is clean
  2. there are zero bubbles popping up after a few good and vigorous pumps

Then did a few more iterations just for shits and giggles.

The final trick is disconnecting the hose from the bleed valve without dripping it all on your face, this was managed by putting clamping clips on the ends of the hose beforehand.

Some folk in an effort to cut out the syringe and save some fluid actually form a loop doing this by making the fluid from the master go directly back into the oil can, quite a nice idea, but if you're cleaning out old [strikethrough]oil[/strikethrough] brake-fluid best to rid the system of it. Make sure you take it off to a local garage that can take care of it in a slightly more environmentally aware fashion than dumping in the drain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2016, 08:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Hopefully you use brake fluid and not oil.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:55 PM
agentmulder
Agent Mulder
2008 110 PUMA

Registry
I use soda-stream cola flavour.
Old April 1st, 2016, 08:07 AM
mightymo
matthew m
'95 Disco 300TDI

Registry
Thanks guys. So I just hook up the hose to the nipple on the master cylinder (after its installed) and pump away (brake fluid) until there are no bubbles? How do I know when there are no bubbles? Is there someplace else I am supposed to be looking?
1997 D90 NAS (SOLD)
Old April 1st, 2016, 11:02 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
As stated previously, you'll need to connect the hose to the nipple on the slave cylinder (not the master) to reverse bleed. I would imagine you would look in the reservoir for bubbles but i've never done it this way before.

Lately I wonder if one could pull a small vacuum on the system from the master/reservoir and then reverse bleed. Similarly to how vacuum coolant fillers work. Anyone tried this? I HATE bleeding the clutch...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, clutch, master