replacing ignition key - 94 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 30th, 2005, 06:46 PM
snosrfr
Chuck
95 D90

replacing ignition key - 94

ok... after a good bit of researching i'm still not getting a solid answer to this.

i recently lost my ignition key and (of course) cannot find my spare. i've read in a couple of threads that one can obtain a replacement via the vin#. but when i called the local rover dealership (flatirons - good rep) they said that this cannot be done.

i'm also a bit confused about the blanks, i can only find blanks on the net for 95 and 97 d90's. does this mean (overly optimistic me thinks) that the blank for the 94 is common and can be found at the local locksmith???

any help would be appreciated!

-snosrfr
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2005, 07:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It can be done.

Land Rover Nashville did it.

I know LR Main Line used to do it, and I think Mike at Land Rover West Chester can do it.

you just need the right kit.
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:16 PM
snosrfr
Chuck
95 D90

Ron,
thanks for the reply. i'm curious, did you have this done? if so, can you tell me what they did? i'm assuming from your reference, "you just need the right kit" that it isn't as simple as give them your vin#, get a code and have a new key made...
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I would just call George at RDS and get a new key with 4 new lock thingamaboppers. Takes about 2 minutes to replace the guts on the three doors and ignition and your done. Cheaper than anything at a dealer too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Dealers have little key cutter things and you just need the right one for a 94 D90.

some locksmiths have it to.
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:38 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Also, for the key blanks what you want is a Leyland style key. I know triple-c.com has them for a 94 Defender because I ordered my blanks from them. With the proper blank a good locksmith can cut the key for your ignition. Good Luck
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:58 PM
snosrfr
Chuck
95 D90

Ron, David, Stephen,

thanks for the info guys! i'll try back w/ the dealership tomorrow. Stephen, i'll check out triple-c.com for the blank - THANKS!

-snosrfr
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

When calling flatirons, ask for Charlie in parts. If it is available, he would know.
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:29 AM
jcasteel
John Casteel
1961 Series IIa

Chuck, I worked for a locksmith for about 9 years while in highskrul and to help put myself through college. I wish I knew half of what that man had forgotten. It is certainly possible that the dealer has a machine to cut keys from a VIN#. However, your dealer may not have the equipment. I'd call and verify, with a different person, that the cutter is available.

The machine is a bit like a pistol. You dial in the depth of each pin and pull the trigger to remove that amount of steel from the key blank for each pin location. If the key is double sided, flip it over to do the other side.

If your dealer doesn't have the equipment then I'd call a dealer who does (he/she may require proof of ownership of the Rover), Ron Brown provided three dealers who should have the equipment.

Mr. Gusmus, my locksmith, died years ago but in lieu of other remedies I would call the oldest locksmith in town and ask him if he can make a key for your lock. If yes, then don't press him for time and you'll need to get the lock / vehicle to him. If you need it faster than that then try RDS for a new ignition lock or call any of Ron's dealers and have them fedex the cut key(s) to you.

A warning, The key cut by numbers will be as if that key was made in 1994, Your lock has now seen 11 years of use. The pins in a lock are usually aluminum or brass so there may be some wear in the lock which your "new" key won't have. Running the new key under a spinning steel brush may "wear" it enough that it'll work.

Life is simple ain't it?
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:59 AM
snosrfr
Chuck
95 D90

Chris,
thanks, i was definitely planning on asking Charlie - the man does know defenders!

John,
thanks for the knowledgable input. hopefully i can get a key cut from either the local or another dealership. i'll try the steel brush trick if it's too rough for the aged ignition tumblers.

thanks again to everyone for the advice and info!

-snosrfr
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:41 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I had a local locksmith at Kipling and Hampden Ave. cut me some keys (he had the blanks). They worked for a little while, but I stalled while leaving King Soopers and the steering wheel lock. My new key would not turn after that. I had to call my wife to bring me the original key. With the original there was no problem, turn the key and wiggle the steering wheel to unlock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac