Replacing Door Top Glass on ST 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM's Avatar
Michael Sabanovich
1994 Defender 90 #1880
Replacing Door Top Glass on ST 90

Someone broke out the drivers side sliding window (door top) of my UNLOCKED '94 D90 to steal the crappy original radio. I'm not having good luck replacing the glass. I ordered the replacement glass from a local windshield company for $200+ and when I picked up the truck the glass was was not right. As they don't understand the vehicle, they cannot make the repair good. . The biggest problem is the fit.. No one is this city of 5 million knows how to properly fit the glass into the frame.. I can take a little rattle, but can't handle having to hold the glass in place on bumpy roads..Also the replacement has a different tint.
I am looking for a source that I can ship the door top to and have glass (the original tint) replaced and properly fitted with correct rubber seals etc...
Anyone know of a resource?

Old October 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Gore Ranger
1989 RRC
you might find that a new door top unit is the same price as trying to change the glass.

I would try Rover Down South and see if they have any.

Old October 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
I second Jeff's recomendation... Return the glass, get your money back and call George at RDS.

Old October 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
First of all, replacement glass panels (OEM) are about 50 bucks each from the discount house called Rovers North.

Second, the channels that attach to the pieces of glass are press-fit on. Get some pondliner in a couple thicknesses from a home depot or lowes and experiment until you get a nice tight fit, then trim the excess.

Also, the whole unit comes apart by drilling out the rivets at each end of the inside track, and the 4 around the lock handle. Then some screws in the bottom of the channel and you are good to go.

While you are in there, replace the felts while you are at it, also about 5 bucks each from bargain basement warehouse Rovers North.

Lastly, any professional shop that cant figure out a LR sliding window must be staffed by morons.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, ac, door, glass