Replacing Decal with a new one - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245

Replacing Decal with a new one

I bought a new Land Rover decal from Rovers North. I am wondering what I should use to remove the old decal...as it is missing the L A N from Land Rover, see picture below. What should I use to remove the glue and the rest of the letters? Also, how do I put the new decal on so it looks as it should from the factory?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decal.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	11496  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
You can use GooGone to remove the sticky surface, it can be picked up anywhere...Autozone, Kmart, Walmart, etc. Put it on a rag, rub it on the sticky area and let it sit for a few seconds.
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:45 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
You can use GooGone to remove the sticky surface, it can be picked up anywhere...Autozone, Kmart, Walmart, etc. Put it on a rag, rub it on the sticky area and let it sit for a few seconds.
Can googone affect the paint? Will it takeoff any clearcoat or anything like that? When applying the new decal, how do I make sure it is totally straight, and do I need a hairdryer to warm the adhesive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:48 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

I used goo-gone to remove the glue from the rear load mat in the back it works great, needs some elbow grease, but works great. No damage to the paint at all. Best thing is my truck smelled like oranges for weeks after using it! When you reset the decal mix 2 DROPS of dawn detergent with an old spray bottle full of water. Spray it on so you can reposition if it's not perfectly straight. When it's on good just smooth it out nice and let it set. Then go back and peel off the white paper that lays over the decal.
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

I am using "3M Adhesive, Wax & Mark Remover" now to remove the adhesive after removing all the carpet. just damp the area, wait a few sec then use a plastic scraper. did not harm the paint and the glue came out with ease.

found it in pepboys for around $8.
Attached Images

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

I use gasoline, works instantly, available (in the garage) wont hurt the paint, get a rag and dip it in the mower, snow blower whatever....

or go buy that other stuff
Old December 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I second the 3M. I used it way back when on my 95 D90 and it worked like a charm. Did no harm to paint.
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrrvr
I use gasoline, works instantly, available (in the garage) wont hurt the paint, get a rag and dip it in the mower, snow blower whatever....

or go buy that other stuff
lol..I wouldn't be surprised that 3M stuff is just rebadged gasoline~ it certainlly smelled the same.

darn it...I could've saved some money...I can get 3 gallon for what I paid for the 3M thing.

thanks for the info!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Ok, I've got the decal now, however in looking at the decal itself, it is not just one sticker. All of the letters of "Land Rover" are individual stickers themselves. How do I ensure that the letters are all even on the truck? I just don't want some of the letters to be uneven. Any help would be great. I'm also wondering how I'm going to remove the old letters. I bought goo gone, but how do I get the old letters of, considering they are thick hard letters.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Heat the letters up with a heat gun or blow drier. Use your finger nail to pry up the letter. Then use a piece of plastic (like an old credit card) to wedge between the letter and the painted surface.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
Heat the letters up with a heat gun or blow drier. Use your finger nail to pry up the letter. Then use a piece of plastic (like an old credit card) to wedge between the letter and the painted surface.
Thanks, so after I get the old letters off, how do apply the new letters on?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

since they're individual stickers why not just replace the missing ones, then you don't have to worry about getting the old ones off. I'd use some masking tape (blue painters tape) to get the bottom in line and go from there.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
If anyone else runs into this, I just helped my brother replace the M3 badge on his bimmer. We used a piece of dental floss to take off the old letter by "flossing" behind the letter and pulling it off. Then we sparingly used some acetone (nail polish remover) to get the sticky off. We didn't hurt any paint or clearcoat.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
If you can, take a picture before you start working, so you have a good idea on how the letters were placed...unless you have access to another D in the area.

Since Googone shouldn't hurt your paint, you can apply it liberally onto the old letters...wait about 10 seconds and start peeling. As you're peeling you might need to apply some more googone, it will help to move it along faster.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

I would get an "overhead marker" the kind that writes on transparencies and wipes off easily. Mark out the center of the hood, and some layout lines, and go for it.

Did they send you individual stickers for each letter, or are they all together at the moment?? If they are all together, then peel the "Masking tape" type top sheet off, and the letters should all come up with it, and you can position them, then peel the masking tape off, leaving the letters on your truck.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:22 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Decals for vehicles come mounted with two pieces of backing. You first peel off the one stuck to the back that covers the adhesive, then you apply the decal. Once you are happy with where it is, you peel the covering off the front. Last time I bought one of these land rover letter sets it was packaged that way. If yours doesnt have it you got screwed. A piece of contact paper can be used if necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Decals for vehicles come mounted with two pieces of backing. You first peel off the one stuck to the back that covers the adhesive, then you apply the decal. Once you are happy with where it is, you peel the covering off the front. Last time I bought one of these land rover letter sets it was packaged that way. If yours doesnt have it you got screwed. A piece of contact paper can be used if necessary.
I ordered the sticker from RoversNorth.com however in looking at the sticker, it has the letters in between two sheets of paper...one side is on the actual fron of the letters, and the other side is on the adhesive part of the letters, so how would I be able to position the letters evenly?
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Here's a pretty good guide meant for decals, but the principals apply:

http://www.needasticker.com/application.htm
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybahr
I ordered the sticker from RoversNorth.com however in looking at the sticker, it has the letters in between two sheets of paper...one side is on the actual fron of the letters, and the other side is on the adhesive part of the letters, so how would I be able to position the letters evenly?
You peel the paper off the back, position the letters, and stick. They are already aligned with each other, you just have to get them in the right spot on the grille. The piece of paper in the front holds them all together in place until they are stuck - then you just pull the front paper off when you're done. Do you not feel confident to eyeball the position of the decal? If not, align the letters using rulers or whatever you want, and use masking tape to mark where the edge of the front paper goes. Then use that as a guide when doing the actual sticking.

Old January 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

KENNY- 1. Don't panic. this is pretty easy and you won't mess it up. 2. If I were you I would A: Take blue painter's tape and run it along the bottom edge of the old decal so you have a straight edge to re-align the new decal with. You could also use a grease pencil and a straight edge. B: Use a blow dryer to heat up the old glue and gently peel off the old decals. C: Use the Goo-Gone to remove any remaining glue residue. Put the Goo-Gone on a rag and then rub it off to prevent removing the painter's tape. D: Use some Windex or rubbing alcohol to prep the area and remove any residue from the Goo-Gone (it's basically citrus oil) E: Mix a couple of drops of Dawn dish washing detergent with some water in spray bottle and apply liberally to the area where the new decal goes. F: Align the new decal with the edge from the painters tape. If it needs some adjustment just do so, that's what the soapy water is for. Make sure to press the letters firmly to make sure they stick. G: Have a couple of beers while the glue sets and the water dries. Better to leave it for a couple of hours. I don't know how fast you drink. H: Peel the top sheet off the decals. Don't pull straight back! Pull along the body of the vehicle. Think 180 degrees not 90 degrees. Pul sheet VERY slowly. Don't rush this step. After some more time you can clean up any residue left from the soapy water. That's it. I have done full door decals on a couple of our company trucks using the exact same method. Works every time. Just don't rush the amount of time between applying the decal and pulling the top sheet. If the glue isn't completely dry you'll pull the decals right off with the top sheet.
Really it's pretty simple. The blue tape will give you a straight edge and the soapy water let's you move the decal around if it's not perfectly where you need it to be. Just take your time and have fun it actually kinda fun to do and it will look great when you're done!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac