Replacing Decal with a new one - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 4th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245
Originally Posted by JBOD77
KENNY- 1. Don't panic. this is pretty easy and you won't mess it up. 2. If I were you I would A: Take blue painter's tape and run it along the bottom edge of the old decal so you have a straight edge to re-align the new decal with. You could also use a grease pencil and a straight edge. B: Use a blow dryer to heat up the old glue and gently peel off the old decals. C: Use the Goo-Gone to remove any remaining glue residue. Put the Goo-Gone on a rag and then rub it off to prevent removing the painter's tape. D: Use some Windex or rubbing alcohol to prep the area and remove any residue from the Goo-Gone (it's basically citrus oil) E: Mix a couple of drops of Dawn dish washing detergent with some water in spray bottle and apply liberally to the area where the new decal goes. F: Align the new decal with the edge from the painters tape. If it needs some adjustment just do so, that's what the soapy water is for. Make sure to press the letters firmly to make sure they stick. G: Have a couple of beers while the glue sets and the water dries. Better to leave it for a couple of hours. I don't know how fast you drink. H: Peel the top sheet off the decals. Don't pull straight back! Pull along the body of the vehicle. Think 180 degrees not 90 degrees. Pul sheet VERY slowly. Don't rush this step. After some more time you can clean up any residue left from the soapy water. That's it. I have done full door decals on a couple of our company trucks using the exact same method. Works every time. Just don't rush the amount of time between applying the decal and pulling the top sheet. If the glue isn't completely dry you'll pull the decals right off with the top sheet.
Really it's pretty simple. The blue tape will give you a straight edge and the soapy water let's you move the decal around if it's not perfectly where you need it to be. Just take your time and have fun it actually kinda fun to do and it will look great when you're done!
Thank You so much, those are very good instructions. Now I feel confident that I can do it...I just wanted it to look stock, I just didn't didn't think I get all of the letters aligned perfectly. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Again.

Old January 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black
I can tell you and me are a lot alike. I consistently over-anylize things and beat them to death. Even the simplest tasks in life . I remember something about making mountains out of molehills. People on this board have helped me with so many things. It's great when I actually know what I'm talking about and can help someone in return. Let me know how it goes!
P.S. make sure it's not freezing cold when you do this or do it in a warm area or run a heater in your garage or something.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions