Replacing bearings, found swivel balls empty - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2011, 01:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Looks fine to me
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2011, 04:32 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
mine leak too, probably due to pitting, i just keep them full of grease. it's worked for 6 years with np.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Awesome. Thanks guys. I thought so as well,but the engineer in me makes me think all things are bad.

Cheers,
Peter
Go Pack Go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2011, 10:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sure do. Agree on all counts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer
Does anyone else have a garage computer lol? I dont know anyone else that does...but it just makes sense. Music, internet, forums, and not getting your nice machine all greased up....maybe its just me.
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

That's not pitting...that's a factory blemish! Send those rusty pins back to George and tell him to give you your $$$ back. You don't need them. I bet you don't even need to shim your upper pins. Test your preload before you tear it down and see what the scale says. You may just need to fill your swivels with "one-shot" and repack your wheel bearings. Did you have crazy death wobbles before teardown?
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverchef View Post
That's not pitting...that's a factory blemish! Send those rusty pins back to George and tell him to give you your $$$ back. You don't need them. I bet you don't even need to shim your upper pins. Test your preload before you tear it down and see what the scale says. You may just need to fill your swivels with "one-shot" and repack your wheel bearings. Did you have crazy death wobbles before teardown?
No death wobble, just wanted to do the bearings and I seem to make the job get larger. Got my shafts from Keith, wow. Those things are hardcore!

Yea the pins looked super, don't think I need them.

Factory blemish lol, good one!
Old November 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

questions round 2

A couple things with the project today:

1. caliper pot wont push back in to fit new pads. I noticed at first that one side was out much further than the other. Top right pushed back in with a c clamp, lower right will not. So I take it that means the caliper needs to be rebuilt or replaced?

2. Swivel pin preload. That write up I got was real good. But I got the 16lbs on the fish scale (one large shim) before I put the cv shaft back in and stub axle. It was a nice smooth pull, pretty easy to identify.
Now that all of that is assembled, it was up to 25lbs. So I put some shims back in, but the reading seems real spikey at 22ish and then more at like 12. There are 2 points (near full lock either side) where is seems to be peaking bad (sticky spots). Too much full lock?

So I put in the new shafts from Keith, do you think that they have a different resistance in them and will make a different reading? I am using brand new top pins and 4 shims as of now. Maybe drive it a bit and see what its like when things are broken in some?

Overall not a bad job to get into. Some things seem like they were thought out well when designed, some things not soo much lol.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caliper.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	44102  
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
If you replaced the pin did you replace the bearing/race? 15lbs is what I set mine with with the swivel empty, the CV should not cause much drag IMO. I leave the swivel seal "loose" when I set the preload. It is unusual that a "fresh" swivel would have any tight spots, mine was buttery smooth through the entire movement. I cleaned and greased the bearings also. Its not like a wheel bearing etc, and I wouldnt get to excited about it. WRT shims I started with all new shims added about 5 removed a couple added a few untill I was dead on 15lbs of pull. My steering is a lot tighter and doesnt "center" as well but I had 7lbs of pull prior to my rebuild and stupid amounts of shimmy.

With those pads I would install one side then compress pistons and install the other side and bleed the brakes at the end. I am a novice by all means but all of the above has worked for me and everything is still all happy about 800 miles later.
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

It was real smooth with out the cv shaft installed, very fluid. I did have the seal installed when using the fish scale...But I got a nice 16. I did put in new bearings for the swivel pins as well.

After I put everything back together and thought I'd test it again, it was really different. The cv added a bunch of resistance while pulling. And near full lock at either end there a spot that is more difficult but otherwise seemed fine. Not sure why, but that's all I can figure. I didn't test my pull before disassembly to get a baseline, but it was very easy to turn.

Thanks!
Pete
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I took everything back down this evening and got the 1.5 ish kg with another shim. So....should be all good now. Geez it's not much pull...but one wouldn't think that much kg would feel like anything.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:46 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

bathroom caulk a common solution?

LOL. So after getting the drivers side all good I went into the passenger side tonight. Mostly event free. At first I was happy to see some fluid still in the swivel on this side. So after taking things apart and I get to the swivel seal...man its hard to get off. And only one of the plates on the back is there. Well ok, let's see whats going on. Well the ring came off and I saw this lol. and bent it up nicely too. hummmmm don't think thats stock. Also a nice bit of clear silcone on the bolts for the retained ring. Some one else's great idea looks like.

And we have pitting! So waiting on parts again. Ugh.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caulk.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	44317   Click image for larger version

Name:	pitting.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	44318  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac