Replacing Battery Cables - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
mikeybob2@msn.com
Michael Sabanovich
1994 Defender 90 #1880

Registry
Question Replacing Battery Cables

I bought new battery cables and think they should be fairly easy to replace but before i tear anything up I wanted to see if there are any quirks I should know about????.

My 1994 D90 sat in the (damp Galveston Island) garage for 6 months. needless to say my battery was shot. I replaced the battery, it started right up, backed it out, washed it, went to start it to take for a ride and nothing.. lights and all electrial are fine.. battery is at 12.5 volts.. Not even a click from the ignition. Banged on the starter. Nothing.. Starter is the second one, dealer replaced 30,000 hwy miles ago, so I am assuming the cables are coroded where I cannot see it. If it's not the cable, then it's another $160 tow to the Rover Shoppe in Houston..

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Probably just a bad connection. Take both battery wires, remove both ends and clean up really well. Also check the starting lead in the solenoid of the starter.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

12.5 is pretty low, your batt. may just be dead. Someone else on here had the same problem with about the same voltage reading a few weeks ago and it was the batt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
12.5 is not on the high side, but should be enough to generate the starter click (mileage varies, but should be about 75-80% charged). I'd say that you have water somewhere that needs to be displaced. Are your lights working? in cab light working? Is this just a starter issue or something else (can you hear the fuel pump relay/fuel pump when you turn the key in the ignition?...)
In term of starter wire issues, I'd also suspect the starting lead to the solenoid of the starter (as Red90 said). Common source of issues.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
mikeybob2@msn.com
Michael Sabanovich
1994 Defender 90 #1880

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
Are your lights working? in cab light working? Is this just a starter issue or something else (can you hear the fuel pump relay/fuel pump when you turn the key in the ignition?...)
In term of starter wire issues, I'd also suspect the starting lead to the solenoid of the starter (as Red90 said). Common source of issues.
Everything electrical works fine and there is no noise from anywhere...
Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
That doesn't mean you don't have a bad connection...... The starter need a lot of amps just to do anything.

Jump from the main lead to the solenoid and see what happens. Pretend you are an auto thief....

Make sure all your ground leads are clean and good.

12.5 V is normal. If you really think it is the battery, try a jump start.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, battery