Defender Source Forum banner

Replacing Alt, H20 pump, fan clutch, and belts - Advice needed

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  robisonservice 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

So I took the plunge...and bought a new alternator, fan clutch, waterpump, thermostat, belts and hoses and clutch master cylinder for the D90. At 122K miles, its my daily driver/trip car..so I dont want to take any chances and have something go bad in a remote area. I figure, I"ll use the old ones as working spares...for in-field repairs if needed.

If any of you guys have any advice on making any of these swaps easier, I'd appreciate it.
Also, what else do you guys recommend I change? I've done the oil cooler hoses, I"ll be doing the PS hoses tomorrow as well.
Meanwhile, I'll be doing the radiator flush also.

Any wisdom would be greately appreiated.

thanks,

-arbi

#3 ·
Yes, be EXTREMELY careful with the bolts in the water pump. There are 14 bolts in it, of two different threads and about a half dozen different lengths. If you put too long of a bolt in the wrong hole, it's real easy to snap the head off and then you'll need to pull the whole timing cover to bring it down to a machinist (ask me how I know this). Also, they ain't the strongest bolts for their size, so get the torque specs and go easy on them. But definitely DON'T mix them up. Just use some hi-tac or other similar product on the gasket to hold it in place, the brush on stuff sometimes called gasket adhesive. Don't use anything like RTV silicone or other 'gasket maker' materials from a tube, they cause more problems than they cure in that type of situation.

You might also want to do a new fan, as I've heard stories that the plastic degrades over time causing fan failure. Mine had a few chips missing from the blades when I went to the electrics. At the very least, give it a close inspection.

While you have the coolant system drained, maybe take the radiator down to a good shop and have them put a drain spigot in there, it gets real old real fast when the only way to empty it is pulling off a 2.5" hose.

-Hans

#4 ·
With regard to the bolts that retain the water pump . . . . we see quite a few Rovers where the water pump bolts were over-tightened by an overzealous installer, and the result is that the front cover gasket squeezes out, causing oil and/or coolant leakage. To fix that you end up removing the pump again, the oil pan, the crank pulley, all to remove the front cover.

So be very careful of that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.