Replacement Tires - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Nycabman
Status: Offline
Jason
97 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Armonk, NY USA
Posts: 9
Replacement Tires

Just purchased a 97 Defender soft top. Will certainly post some pics once I get it, in transit. Any suggestions on tires ? It has the bfg at's but need to be replaced. Have done some research on other brands, but still seems as though bfg's are still the way to go. I will be doing mostly road and beach driving, not much rock or mud. Thanks and looking forward to sharing info on this forum.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:13 AM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
I have Goodyear MTR/k in 35" on standby for my rig. I had them on my NAS and they performed nicely all around. Great off road and they didn't beat you up on the highway. I noticed ECR had installed quite a few of them on their recent builds. A little on the pricey side but they seem like a great do everything tire.

When I sold my NAS I helped the new buyer get tires. I got him 285 (33") Goodyear Duratracs. Really nice tire for the price. They have a meaty look but ride smooth and are quiet. I think they run on the small side so we fit them on with stock suspension and there is no clearance issues. They look great on the truck.

On my Suburban I have Firestone Destination ATs. My Bro-in-law has them on his RRC as well. I would say we are both happy with them in terms of performance. On the Suburban, we drove thru a pretty hairball snow storm last winter and it did really well.

For beach driving I think the main thing is tire pressure and driving style so most tire patterns should work.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
SMac's Avatar
SMac
Status: Offline
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,766
Stick with the BFG ATs for your use. Long lasting, OE fit, and quiet.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:33 AM
javelinadave
Status: Offline
-
-
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: -
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Stick with the BFG ATs for your use. Long lasting, OE fit, and quiet.
That's what I run on my daily driver. Great for everything but mud.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
red64chevelle
Status: Offline
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: East Greenwich, RI
Posts: 428
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
When I sold my NAS I helped the new buyer get tires. I got him 285 (33") Goodyear Duratracs. Really nice tire for the price. They have a meaty look but ride smooth and are quiet. I think they run on the small side so we fit them on with stock suspension and there is no clearance issues. They look great on the truck.
I had Duratracs on the wife's JK. Great tire in my opinion. Great wet, dry, and snow traction. Can't vouch for how long they would last, we traded the JK in on a RRS after about a year. I plan on getting them for the Disco when the BFG's wear out.
__________________
75% of all Land Rovers ever made are still on the road...
the other 25% at least made it home.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 30th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Nomar's Avatar
Nomar
Status: Offline
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central,Virginia
Posts: 4,288
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Stick with the BFG ATs for your use. Long lasting, OE fit, and quiet.
Agreed.

Time tested design and still the best bang for the buck.

Now, a friend of mine up in PA bought the "Treadwright AT" which is a retread copycat of the BFG AT and he loved them. About half the price of BFG.
__________________


Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 30th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Stick with the BFG ATs for your use. Long lasting, OE fit, and quiet.
Totally agree.
I ran BFG mud Terrains for years, but the ATs are so much better on the road
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 30th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Nycabman
Status: Offline
Jason
97 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Armonk, NY USA
Posts: 9
Thanks to all for the suggestions, seems like the bfg's are the way to go. 2 additional questions - any feedback on the rugged terrain model ? They seem to be more of a hybrid in that they are a little more road friendly and have 2 channels in the middle. Also, can the all terrain ko's be ordered without white lettering or do you guys just put the lettering on the inside ? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 30th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Jymmiejamz's Avatar
Jymmiejamz
Status: Offline
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,468
Registry
Just do not buy General Grabber A/T's. I have them on my Defender, and they are a terrible tire. I can't speak for noise, since I'm driving a 300 tdi Defender, but they have terrible traction on road. On wet pavement I get pretty bad understeer, and in the snow I may as well have racing slicks. I had Nitto Terra Grapplers on my DII which lasted a long time and had good all around traction. For an NAS truck, I'd probably stick with BFG a/t's just for the sake of keeping it factory. Make sure you get them without any white lettering.

------ Follow up post added November 30th, 2013 03:25 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycabman View Post
Also, can the all terrain ko's be ordered without white lettering or do you guys just put the lettering on the inside ? Thanks again.
I'm not sure where to get them, but I just installed one with no white lettering on a D90 about a week ago. I can ask the parts department where they got them on Monday if you haven't found out by then.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 30th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycabman View Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions, seems like the bfg's are the way to go. 2 additional questions - any feedback on the rugged terrain model ? They seem to be more of a hybrid in that they are a little more road friendly and have 2 channels in the middle. Also, can the all terrain ko's be ordered without white lettering or do you guys just put the lettering on the inside ? Thanks again.
I think some sizes still are available in all black letters. The ones I just had installed two weeks ago only were available in white letters, but we just mounted them with white letters facing inward. The tires are not directional, so this is completely fine.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:10 PM
fishEH's Avatar
fishEH
Status: Offline
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 1,113
My vote is for the DuraTracs. Mine had 30,000 miles on and offroad when I sold them and got larger tires. They had 11/32" of tread left, 18/32" is new.
Great is everything but thick mud, and they are more aggressive than the BFG AT.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
josh-man's Avatar
josh-man
Status: Offline
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: new england
Posts: 1,635
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycabman View Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions, seems like the bfg's are the way to go. 2 additional questions - any feedback on the rugged terrain model ? They seem to be more of a hybrid in that they are a little more road friendly and have 2 channels in the middle. Also, can the all terrain ko's be ordered without white lettering or do you guys just put the lettering on the inside ? Thanks again.
The bfg have white letters on one side and black on the other. Just make sure you mention your pref to the tech
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:38 AM
Jymmiejamz's Avatar
Jymmiejamz
Status: Offline
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,468
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
The bfg have white letters on one side and black on the other. Just make sure you mention your pref to the tech
They are available both ways. D90's came with black wall BFG's, not white walls with the white letters in the inside.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:51 PM
jafir's Avatar
jafir
Status: Offline
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centerton, AR
Posts: 1,580
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
They are available both ways. D90's came with black wall BFG's, not white walls with the white letters in the inside.
Black wall:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....KO10&tab=Sizes

raised white letter:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....WLV2&tab=Sizes
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:16 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,522
Registry
toyo at's or km2's or tsl's
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old December 1st, 2013, 04:51 PM
rlynch356's Avatar
rlynch356
Status: Offline
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 2,207
another vote for BFG AT's here. had them on 5 years and no issues in all except for deep mud (which is not a requirement from your post)
or i would go with the KM2's
__________________
Defenders don't wear out they just need more parts.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:33 PM
Nycabman
Status: Offline
Jason
97 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Armonk, NY USA
Posts: 9
Thanks for all the input, ordered the BFG AT's with black lettering from Tire Rack a couple hours ago. Now I just need the D90 to be picked up and delivered from Cali to NY ! If all goes well should have it in a week, looking forward to sharing pics with you all. Based on the PPI that I had done, the truck doesn't need much besides the tires, we will see...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:44 PM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
265/75/16 BFG AT KOs were $193(ea) at Tire Rack a few weeks ago (net of shipping) and of course not including valve stems, mounting and balancing. For some unknown reason the black lettered variants were like $5(ea) more expensive.

I always thought Tire Rack couldn't be beat in terms of price, but on a whim a strolled into my local NTB and they matched the price for the tires and I didn't have to pay shipping.
The kicker was that mounting, balancing and stems were INCLUDED!

Just something to consider. These guys (bricks n mortar) tire retailers/installers and getting with the program.

(Just a side note, when I mentioned that not all sizes were available in either black letters or raised white letters, that is true, but the proper size for an NAS 110/90 IS available in both black or white letters - just that my odd-ball compromise size 275/75/16 was only available in white letters....which we faced inside)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	85173  
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:47 PM
jafir's Avatar
jafir
Status: Offline
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centerton, AR
Posts: 1,580
Registry
Discounttiredirect is almost always cheaper than tirerack when shipping is factored in.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old December 1st, 2013, 10:45 PM
SMac's Avatar
SMac
Status: Offline
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
265/75/16 BFG AT KOs were $193(ea) at Tire Rack a few weeks ago (net of shipping) and of course not including valve stems, mounting and balancing. For some unknown reason the black lettered variants were like $5(ea) more expensive. I always thought Tire Rack couldn't be beat in terms of price, but on a whim a strolled into my local NTB and they matched the price for the tires and I didn't have to pay shipping. The kicker was that mounting, balancing and stems were INCLUDED! Just something to consider. These guys (bricks n mortar) tire retailers/installers and getting with the program. (Just a side note, when I mentioned that not all sizes were available in either black letters or raised white letters, that is true, but the proper size for an NAS 110/90 IS available in both black or white letters - just that my odd-ball compromise size 275/75/16 was only available in white letters....which we faced inside)
Beautiful truck Mr. Treehorn.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, tire, tires

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road-Worthy Replacement Tires Jason Farrell Defender Technical Discussions 10 April 2nd, 2010 02:41 PM
Tires: an odessy souza Misc. Chit-Chat 37 December 14th, 2009 05:57 AM
BFG MT Km 265 75R 16 tires Seriesman For Sale - Parts 8 September 8th, 2005 01:46 AM
Tires, Tires, Tires Joe P Misc. Chit-Chat 28 August 9th, 2005 09:58 PM
BFG AT Ko tires for sale Seriesman For Sale - Parts 6 August 18th, 2004 11:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Copyright