Replacement seats for ST?? What are the best? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Replacement seats for ST?? What are the best?

Any suggestions on good seats to replace my stock ST D90 seats? I have seen some good and bad posts on Exmoor. What's the consensus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

I just re-did my seats with the Exmoor kit from Rovers North and added heating elements. Looks great, was super easy and is the best upgrade I have made to my truck...especially because it started snowing today in Portland and suffice to say the stock heater in my ST is beyond insufficient.
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:32 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Has anyone installed the Exmoor Elite seats in their ST? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2009, 07:52 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

I think we had a set of the Elite's about a year ago. I know that when we had them they were not public yet( that's what they told us...), anyway, what we did not like was the fact they were very small. I'm 5'10 and weigh 165 lbs, and I felt really squished while sitting in them, to point it was uncomfortable. Like I said, this was a year ago, I don't know if any changes were made. Overall, for the price(then), the complete package did not appeal to me,... the quality is on par with everything else the Brits make,... take that as you will.
First impression was they looked pretty cool, everyone thought so, but 5 minutes in the seat changed our minds...
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:52 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I tried the elite seats too and hated them utterly, for the reasons Carey mentioned. They might be comfy for petite women...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 31st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Any other suggestions then.......I may just keep my stock seats with a new set of badger covers.
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:47 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

I personally think that the stock seats with brand new foams and seat heaters and Badger covers work well. Just my opinion though. New foam makes an incredible difference!
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I installed the Black Canvas Exmoor Trim Seats with Outlast foam and seat heaters last spring. Same finish as the Ministry of Defense uses I hear. The Black Canvas looks & feels great. The outlast foam is the same foam that is used in Snowboard boots to regulate temperature. Not sure if its just my imagination but the Outlast foam also seems a bit firmer than stock. I like that as well. I also installed ET inward facing rear seats (the thicker kind) in the rear and although the foam and fabric is great, the folding mechanism is pretty useless and the gauge of steel used is too thin. Not too happy about that. The front seats are great however.
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:20 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Anybody try Corbeau GTS IIs or Recaros? Thinking about an upgrade as well.
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:49 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

carl - can you provide details on your canvas and outlast seats? plus where you sourced them from.
i want a similar setup

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old January 1st, 2010, 04:17 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Anybody try Corbeau GTS IIs or Recaros? Thinking about an upgrade as well.
I have Corbeau GTS IIs in mine and I love them [no really, I love them.. ]. Seriously, I am 6' 3" and regular Defender seats kill me. I drove from South Carolina to Phoenix AZ in 2 days with the Corbeaus and had no problems. They are also really comfy off road. The side bolsters hold you in better and you seem to get less shaken around and beat up on a long run over rough tracks.

Only problem is access to the under seat boxes and battery as with any non-LR seat set up.
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

if you want to save money, you might look for some used LR seats from an LR3, Freelander or Disco. typically $200-500per set and you get back seat and they r comfy. I was thinking about buying a set on ebay for $300, like new and black leather with heaters. I held off but if i go on some long road trips this summer i may go for it. i also have a kawasaki 4x4 mule with no bench in the back and i was gonna use the LR rear seat and get a bracket made so i can have additinal seating in the rear of the mule. mule rear seats are $800 and this seamed like a nobrainer for me.
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

I've got the Exmoor with heating elements as well with the G4 trim. I love em !
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:30 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory
I have Corbeau GTS IIs in mine and I love them [no really, I love them.. ]. Seriously, I am 6' 3" and regular Defender seats kill me. I drove from South Carolina to Phoenix AZ in 2 days with the Corbeaus and had no problems. They are also really comfy off road. The side bolsters hold you in better and you seem to get less shaken around and beat up on a long run over rough tracks.

Only problem is access to the under seat boxes and battery as with any non-LR seat set up.
I have the Corbeau Sport Seats and at 6', 220# they are also comfy. Agree about the off road comfort and the under seat access. But I just keep a 13mm spanner in the truck and they'll pop off in a few minutes.

I just need to add that with the side bolster and a mild lift they are a mild pain to get in and out. I use my sliders as a little step and that helps a bit.
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Recaro make great seats ... you can find them in many german made cars, all my Golf GTIs and Audi TT had them in the UK ... a quick search of ebay can normally find a large selection, the only challenge is getting the seat base removal for access to battery etc. Standard fitment on the Captain seat of the Starship Enterprise but can't recall which series though!

I've just re-trimmed my standard seats with an exmoor kit and fitted heat seaters and that worked out pretty well. The new foam makes a huge difference and it's not difficult to do.

I guess the question is why do you want to change the seats? What is it about the current seats you are trying to remedy?
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce
Recaro make great seats ... you can find them in many german made cars, all my Golf GTIs and Audi TT had them in the UK ... a quick search of ebay can normally find a large selection, the only challenge is getting the seat base removal for access to battery etc. Standard fitment on the Captain seat of the Starship Enterprise but can't recall which series though!

I've just re-trimmed my standard seats with an exmoor kit and fitted heat seaters and that worked out pretty well. The new foam makes a huge difference and it's not difficult to do.

I guess the question is why do you want to change the seats? What is it about the current seats you are trying to remedy?
Original seats have just gotten to that point that I need to do something. Recover or replace? I leaning towards just recovering or going with badger. Sounds like new exmoor foam may be a good call as well.
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Robert,

Mine were a special order through Rover's North. As far as I know they're the only licensed distributor in the US. If you can wait they can put it on their monthly container you only pay shipping within the US. I have attached a couple of pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356
carl - can you provide details on your canvas and outlast seats? plus where you sourced them from.
i want a similar setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2142.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	24029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2143.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	24030  

Old January 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I installed heated leather power seats out of a Bravada great seats great price

down side, it was harder to get to the battery.
might be on this site under custom mods dont remember... : D
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I ordered my exmoor covers direct from the UK John Craddocks .. it was very competitive price compared to RN even with their US only shipping charge.

A few hours work made my seats look and feel new.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

seats

I bought/installed used Hyundai Tiberon sport seats...love them. Paid $150 for both, the fit is excellent, only had to drill and relocate one side of the stock mounting holes. Seats are blk/gry cloth with plastic backs & map pockets...very durable. Height matches closely to stock with a longer seat bottom, lumbar support, and side bolsters. I added 2 stage seat heaters...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, seats