Replacement seats for D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Replacement seats for D90

Hi,

Looking to swap out my seats in the 90 for something a little more supportive. Has anyone fitted any of these :

http://www.corbeau.com/products/susp...seats/baja_jp/

or these :

http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/moab/

I like the Moab as they are available in neoprene for easy cleaning.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2010, 01:53 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Hi,

Looking to swap out my seats in the 90 for something a little more supportive. Has anyone fitted any of these :

http://www.corbeau.com/products/susp...seats/baja_jp/

or these :

http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/moab/

I like the Moab as they are available in neoprene for easy cleaning.

Andy

Ya I just put the Moabs in about a month ago in the neoprene. They are pretty good, not great, but good. I don't know that they are more supportive than the originals though. I think if you get new foam and recover you are in just as good a situation as the moabs.

B
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Thanks for the comments on the Moabs. The passanger seat was done last year, my drivers is a QT fibreglass challenge seat.... fine for me but the wife hates it. She also doesn't like the standard passanger seat either. So, have been given spend approval on a new pair..... just can't decide what to get yet.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2010, 03:52 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

You could maybe look at the Corbeau A4 as a replacement. I had a pair in there and they were pretty nice. My gripe and the reason I got rid of them was that when I was getting into my rover you had to get over the bolster of the seat each time. It is a much more sporty seat than the Moab and will definitely hold you in place better, but like I said it is a pain to get in and out of the vehicle with them in.

B
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

That's the bi the wife hates about my challenge seat.... you have to climb into it.... doesn't help that the truck is on 35's with a 4" lift also and she's 5' nothing

Have also been looking at these :

http://www.mastercraftsafety.com/rubicon.php

Cost more but they get very good reviews from the 'jeep' & rock crawling brigade.

Most of the after market I've looked at are quite 'laid back' unless you get one with an adjustable back. Doesn't seem alot of point spending money for a recliner in a truck cab.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:40 AM
Ronanmd1
Jason
1997 D90 HS2.8

Welcome

Hey there Andy - good to see you on the board. Welcome from foggy Alberta

Jason
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
That's the bi the wife hates about my challenge seat.... you have to climb into it.... doesn't help that the truck is on 35's with a 4" lift also and she's 5' nothing

Have also been looking at these :

http://www.mastercraftsafety.com/rubicon.php

Cost more but they get very good reviews from the 'jeep' & rock crawling brigade.

Most of the after market I've looked at are quite 'laid back' unless you get one with an adjustable back. Doesn't seem alot of point spending money for a recliner in a truck cab.
I have the Original. Went and looked for you. Good seat, had it for 4 years. Even set one on fire.

The PRP's are just as good and cheaper http://www.prpseats.com/store_seats.html. And they supported me, so it would be killer if you considered them.

Cheers.

Sorry for the short reply earlier. Really busy lately.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:06 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

I second the PRP seats. I have them in my RRC and they are very, very good, but the bolsters are quite high and tough to get over.
The owners of PRP - I think a couple - are very nice to deal with also.
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:33 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronanmd1 View Post
Hey there Andy - good to see you on the board. Welcome from foggy Alberta

Jason
Watcha bud,

At least it's stopped raining here.... you'd think it was spring already

Andy
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
I second the PRP seats. I have them in my RRC and they are very, very good, but the bolsters are quite high and tough to get over.
The owners of PRP - I think a couple - are very nice to deal with also.
Check out the new Daily Driver seat. Comp back with low bolsters. Perfect for a weekend wheeler.

That said, the high sides are very nice at keeping you in when you topple. I had a gentle rollover last time out and even with the 4 points, the seat was nice to have like it was.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
xrover
Len Cater
1997 D90

One thing to consider is the PITA of getting to your battery compartment. I ended up going with Exmoor so I could still get in there easily. Only 4 bolts sounds easy on paper, but since they rarely line up perfectly you'll be taking off your knuckles, and potentially stripping the captive nuts. I even had a remote battery cutoff installed and remote boost terminals installed, and still found not having access to under seat was more than a pain.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

That's a good point. I installed remote terminals and cut-off switch too. Not sure why I would need to get in there otherwise though.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrover View Post
One thing to consider is the PITA of getting to your battery compartment. I ended up going with Exmoor so I could still get in there easily. Only 4 bolts sounds easy on paper, but since they rarely line up perfectly you'll be taking off your knuckles, and potentially stripping the captive nuts. I even had a remote battery cutoff installed and remote boost terminals installed, and still found not having access to under seat was more than a pain.
Thanks..... but not an issue as the two batteries are in their own box in the rear tub.... truck will be traybacked at some point in the future so want seats that'll work for when I do that. All their is under the seats are two custom fuel tanks, access only required for the fuel pumps & senders.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Thanks..... but not an issue as the two batteries are in their own box in the rear tub.... truck will be traybacked at some point in the future so want seats that'll work for when I do that. All their is under the seats are two custom fuel tanks, access only required for the fuel pumps & senders.

Man you have to snap some photos of that setup and post them. I have seen the under pasenger seat fuel tanks, but never one under the drivers seat.

B
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Here ya go....

Their sized to suit the Southdown tank guard I already had fitted & I had Southdown make me one for the opposite side. Actually cost me the same money.... sweet !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03771.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	24627   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03773.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	24628  

Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Anyway... long term plan is to build it into one of these.... I have the D2 for weekend camping trips and the 90 will be for fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trayback.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	24629  
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Here ya go....

Their sized to suit the Southdown tank guard I already had fitted & I had Southdown make me one for the opposite side. Actually cost me the same money.... sweet !
That looks pretty awesome. So how many fill points do you have 2? 3? And how many gallons can you carry now?

B
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
That looks pretty awesome. So how many fill points do you have 2? 3? And how many gallons can you carry now?

B
Have the origional on the 'RHD drivers' side and a second on the 'LHD drivers' side

If I top the tanks right off I get about 65L in each.... 5 more than the std 90 tank..... not alot but whilst the fab guy was making one tank, it wasn't much more for him to make the second.

Only down side now is I can't fit the Gigglepin extended rear radius arms

However, it means I'll have to do the 100" conversion on the frame when I trayback it to get the extended arms I want...... oh dear

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, ac, d90, seats