replacement oil cooler lines Tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

replacement oil cooler lines Tdi

OK, so finally got around to doing this on the 110.

1. parts list:

Parker 11143-8-8-8 M FerruLok Flareless fitting to 1/2" hose, qty 2 per line
Parker 431-8-RL 1/2" ID 2 wire compact hydraulic hose/3500 psi

2, Pics below show a diagram of original and new, the line layout (as per original), a closeup of the fittings and the replacement 90-deg pipe for the straight pipe segment at the adapter (read below).

Now for the saga:

The long line on the Tdi exits the oil filter adapter with an 90-degree pipe, pointing perpendicular to the block. The hose then routes another 90-degrees towards the front.

The other line exits perpendicular to the block and the hose turns 90-degrees towards the front.

The first line presented no problem. The second did. The original fitting at the adapter did not expose 1-inch of pipe, the minimum needed for these new fittings. The stupid old crimp is right next to the adapter fitting - no pipe length at all in between. So, I used one off a tranny line, about 2-inches long. Also, because of the stiffness of the new hose and the length of the crimp fitting the line ended up short and also touched the inner fender even with maximum bend.

I did not like this so I used an existing 90-degree bend off a tranny oil line. The original fitting for the oil filter adapter would not fit though the elbow so I had to cut the pipe, fit the fitting and weld it back together. Now the short line has straight hose towards the front. Also, the stock bottom pipe at the cooler has a bend up to meet the top pipe, both attached by a nice rust-attracting metal clip. I cut this pipe to leave about a 2-inch length at the cooler end - just enough for its original nut and the new fitting nut. So, the hose on this line is now longer but with a better layout. There is a bolt hole underneath the AC compressor which wil be used to attach a stiff piece of plastic to hold both line hoses. This is not really necessary since the new hose is very stiff but what the heck.

I also plan on wrapping the lines with some sort of heat repelling tape or tube - as in AC lines. Again, not necessary on the Tdi but why not.

Thankfully, I was able to get a used set of tranny lines to do this. I could find noone locally who could crimp (or swage) an o-ring seal line. Actually I did, but only up to 3/8-inch OD. These lines are a bit larger at 7/16-in or 12mm.

Will be fitting the small line tomorrow so we'll see if nay problems arise.

Cost: less than $50 per line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	6132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tdi_2_new_lines.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	6133  

Name:	Tdi_new_line_elbow.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	6134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tdi_new_line_straight.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	6135  

Name:	Tdi_new_line_fittings.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	6136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tdi_straight_replace_fittings.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	6137  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2006, 04:25 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Nice job Art! Thanks for posting. This looks like a great long term solution.
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Great job Art, looking good. Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turned out all said and done.
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2006, 06:34 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

It's installed and running fine. Have not wrapped it yet but this is less critical for my application. The hose is very stiff so no support is required other a tie wrap as a backup.

My modification to stock: look at the top hose in the second pic. The pipe on the left is angled up to meet the other pipe, where they are both clamped. Leaving it stock like this would have need a VERY short hose, so I cut the pipe to about 2" going to the cooler. Hose length is then about 12".

Again, less than $50 per line with your original ends - can't beat that!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, tdi