replacement oil cooler lines Tdi
OK, so finally got around to doing this on the 110.
1. parts list:
Parker 11143-8-8-8 M FerruLok Flareless fitting to 1/2" hose, qty 2 per line
Parker 431-8-RL 1/2" ID 2 wire compact hydraulic hose/3500 psi
2, Pics below show a diagram of original and new, the line layout (as per original), a closeup of the fittings and the replacement 90-deg pipe for the straight pipe segment at the adapter (read below).
Now for the saga:
The long line on the Tdi exits the oil filter adapter with an 90-degree pipe, pointing perpendicular to the block. The hose then routes another 90-degrees towards the front.
The other line exits perpendicular to the block and the hose turns 90-degrees towards the front.
The first line presented no problem. The second did. The original fitting at the adapter did not expose 1-inch of pipe, the minimum needed for these new fittings. The stupid old crimp is right next to the adapter fitting - no pipe length at all in between. So, I used one off a tranny line, about 2-inches long. Also, because of the stiffness of the new hose and the length of the crimp fitting the line ended up short and also touched the inner fender even with maximum bend.
I did not like this so I used an existing 90-degree bend off a tranny oil line. The original fitting for the oil filter adapter would not fit though the elbow so I had to cut the pipe, fit the fitting and weld it back together. Now the short line has straight hose towards the front. Also, the stock bottom pipe at the cooler has a bend up to meet the top pipe, both attached by a nice rust-attracting metal clip. I cut this pipe to leave about a 2-inch length at the cooler end - just enough for its original nut and the new fitting nut. So, the hose on this line is now longer but with a better layout. There is a bolt hole underneath the AC compressor which wil be used to attach a stiff piece of plastic to hold both line hoses. This is not really necessary since the new hose is very stiff but what the heck.
I also plan on wrapping the lines with some sort of heat repelling tape or tube - as in AC lines. Again, not necessary on the Tdi but why not.
Thankfully, I was able to get a used set of tranny lines to do this. I could find noone locally who could crimp (or swage) an o-ring seal line. Actually I did, but only up to 3/8-inch OD. These lines are a bit larger at 7/16-in or 12mm.
Will be fitting the small line tomorrow so we'll see if nay problems arise.
Cost: less than $50 per line.