Replacement of a brake light switch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 10th, 2016, 11:52 AM
chuckchambers
Chuck Chambers
1989 turbo diesel 90

Registry
Replacement of a brake light switch

I had a hesitancy to replace the brake light switch on my 1989 td Defender.

After correcting some wiring issues, cleaning all the grounding points in the system, I was able to get the brake lights operating by using a jumper wire across the terminals. So, isolating the final problem to the switch, I replaced it.

The old switch came out without having to remove the brake master cylinder and booster unit. I did not have to loosen and remove the brake pedal tower. By working at the top of the tower, right up against the firewall, and its cutout/relief, the new switch went in. A slight adjustment for the 5mm pedal stroke to illuminate the brake lights - and I was done.

Total time for this switch replacement was 25 minutes. As I do not have a garage and it was 28F here in Santa Fe, I am pleased that it did not take longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2016, 01:35 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
Funny just did mine a few months ago as well. We have lot of Rover guys that hang out in the SW; if you are up this way look me up..............
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, brake, ht, switch