replacement door frames - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

replacement door frames

Is there anywhere out there to source replacement door frames, possibly galvanized? I have searched and searched but can't seem to find anything. I don't know if the ones I have are worth repairing because if corrosion where the window frame meets the upper door frame and around the actual latching mechanism and a couple of the doors seem to be tweaked( tops don't line up when the door is closed) Am I going to be forced to just buy a whole new set of doors? The thought of this kills me since everything is there and working properly, just the frames are shot.

Thanks for any help, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There is a place in the UK that does them.

Wolffab repaired his.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
bar11
rob grentz
1994 defender 90

I bought a set from e-bay look up 'LAND ROVER DEFENDER FRONT DOOR FRAME REPAIR SECTION' that is how it was listed on e-bay i'd hook a link but i'm tech-tareded.. I havent received them yet but when I do I'll lecha know my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

The problem I am having is the bottoms of the doors are ok, the corrosion I want to eliminate is where the window frames connect to the body of the door and on the side where the door latch/lock is located. If they could be fixed I would do it and galvanize them myself but I think the job would end up costing more in time and energy than the cost of purchasing even some used door frames that had minor rust on the bottoms but had solid uppers and were straight. I have very little free time like I am sure most of you out there can relate to(as I am sitting here at work in the corner with my computer on D90) I may just have to get some stripped frames sent over from the UK and do my best with them. Someone could probably make a killing fabricating complete door frames.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Jay,

A member just sold his galvy door frames. Maybe he can help you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
I would recommend going and getting new take off doors with roll-up windows. Worth every penny in my opinion. Contact Stephen Peters www.safarihp.com as I know he has some.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
Someone could probably make a killing fabricating complete door frames.
Buying NTO doors is much cheaper than trying to beat Solihull at fabricating door frames.

Refurb the old doors as best you can and keep them as a pair for wheeling that you don't mind busting up.

The reason you don't see anyone making complete door frames is because no-one can make any money doing so while spares are available.
Old September 25th, 2011, 08:21 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wasn't someone making all aluminum replacement doors? I remember someone posting about this a while back...
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

If you don't mind doing the work and have a welder they are not hard to repair yourself. You can get replacement channel from all he major parts company and have them hot dipped when you are done. I have done several sets and it worth doing if you have the time. Also a LOT cheaper.
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, door