Replaced passenger cat and now I get check engine light - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpalmer
Mike, I take it the Y-pipe in this thread is long gone?

Follow-up Post:

You see, the problem here is that I already paid $300 for the local Meineke to fix my rattling cat problem. Now I am going to be putting more money into it. I don't want to half ass it, I want it fixed right. Can I put a different cat in and fix the issue, or do I have to buy the entire Y assembly?
If you know a a specific cat that would work fine, let me know the brand and model number.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
How do you know what our ROX Y pipes costs considering we have never offered them via mail order and have never priced them outside of an entire system? In fact our Y pipes will not even work without our tail system so I'm a little curious as to how you know the retail price on something that I don't even know the retail price on. ????
I feel kind of stupid talking about the ROX exhaust system like a sales pitch considering there are no current plans to mail order it.

I am still interested in a new exhaust system but you are contradicting what you told me on 4/3/07 via email:

ROX systems are availble mail order, but we are out of stock for a few weeks.
They are 1790. for the entire system (manifolds back) made from 304
stainless with Random Tech cats.

This is how I know the retail price.

So what's the word, are they available by mail order or not? And if you don't think 1790 is expensive then I guess we are at a disagreement.
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Mike, I'm not trying to pick nits, but you seem to be referring to a quote for the entire system. I think that ECR Mike was referring to a sub-set, just the Y pipes as not being available separately. Apples n oranges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Wow... that is one old email... out dated by over 14 months.

Our initial efforts were going to be to sell the system mail order, but we quickly dropped that as I realized we just don't have the time to do it. We have too many trucks to get done. Its been over a year since we dropped the mail order concept and we have even changed suppliers of the parts since then, going with thicker pipe and different cats. So that price is way out dated, as are the specs.

I don't think under 2K (sorry I don't know the exact current retail as we just made some more changes to the muffler and those have not been factored into the price yet) is costly for a full 304 stainless system with lifetime cats that adds performance, longevity an ground clearance. Consider the NRP made out of 516 stainless (rusts) and cats that will need replacing down the road is about 1800.

I have a very different view. I rather buy the right thing once and never mess with it again, where the others will look only to price no matter how crappy a solution and then deal with it again in 3-4 years.

Again... this sounds like a sales pitch for something I'm not trying to sell.
Hope that answers the question though.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:11 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
And the price of stainless has gone way up in the last few years too. In 2003, I bought a full stainless Stebro exhuast for the GTV, it cost 650 dollars. Now they sell the same kit for almost 1500.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs
Mike, I'm not trying to pick nits, but you seem to be referring to a quote for the entire system. I think that ECR Mike was referring to a sub-set, just the Y pipes as not being available separately. Apples n oranges
Again, not trying to sell anything, just answering the question.
grnrvrs is right. Our Y pipe is not available as a Y pipe only. To make the system flow correctly we made changes to the Y pipe and ours will not bolt up to a factory tail section. Ours is a front to back system only. You can't install pieces of it with other exhaust bits.

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Wow... that is one old email... out dated by over 14 months.

Our initial efforts were going to be to sell the system mail order, but we quickly dropped that as I realized we just don't have the time to do it. We have too many trucks to get done. Its been over a year since we dropped the mail order concept and we have even changed suppliers of the parts since then, going with thicker pipe and different cats. So that price is way out dated, as are the specs.

I don't think under 2K (sorry I don't know the exact current retail as we just made some more changes to the muffler and those have not been factored into the price yet) is costly for a full 304 stainless system with lifetime cats that adds performance, longevity an ground clearance. Consider the NRP made out of 516 stainless (rusts) and cats that will need replacing down the road is about 1800.

I have a very different view. I rather buy the right thing once and never mess with it again, where the others will look only to price no matter how crappy a solution and then deal with it again in 3-4 years.

Again... this sounds like a sales pitch for something I'm not trying to sell.
Hope that answers the question though.

Thanks for the clarification.

I felt that you were attacking me or were pissed at me for making a statement regarding information you had given me.

I would still be interested in your exhaust but I can't go across country to get it. So without mailing it I'm sh*t out of luck. Oh well, I need to look elsewhere I guess.

No hard feelings.
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:49 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

try these, they seem reasonable. I've used them in the past on my 95 (not GEMS obviously) and had no problems, almost as cheap as your Midas fix.

http://www.catalyticconverterwarehou...0@@DEFENDER+90

THESE GUYS HAVE FREE SHIPPING THOUGH AND ITS THE SAME PRODUCT.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...7&N=0&uts=true

Neither is stainless either
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:07 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Again, not trying to sell anything, just answering the question.
grnrvrs is right. Our Y pipe is not available as a Y pipe only. To make the system flow correctly we made changes to the Y pipe and ours will not bolt up to a factory tail section. Ours is a front to back system only. You can't install pieces of it with other exhaust bits.
I wish you would sell this!! I completely agree with buying the best thing once rather than a facsimile twice.

I think the price would be about right when you factor in the quality and especially the engineering and ingenuity that goes into it.

Is it that hard to box up and have UPS or FedEx pick it up and deliver it my wanting hands?? I'll pay Holly a little extra to "getrdun".
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo
Is it that hard to box up and have UPS or FedEx pick it up and deliver it my wanting hands?? I'll pay Holly a little extra to "getrdun".
I think this is just a way to limit the demand for it (see earlier messages). Everybody would be pissed if they did not have the time to build and ship fast enough.....

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Our initial efforts were going to be to sell the system mail order, but we quickly dropped that as I realized we just don't have the time to do it. We have too many trucks to get done.
That's the line I was looking for
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

bingo!

After dealing with, and seeing the fall-out from, places like Safari Gard with delays in product, etc etc... its better for us to concentrate on what we do best... building trucks.

Its tough when people call on Monday and want the stuff shipped same day and that it should all be in stock and ready to go with easy instructions. I'm the same way though. If I order a mail order part I want is now... and I know we can not meet those expectations, so it is better for us (ECR) to stay away from that.
Right now that just isn't something we have the man-power to do.
I'm not trying to be elusive or exclusive... I just know that it would turn into a problem for us right now, so its better not to go down that path. We can barely produce the systems we need in time for in house projects.. let alone doubling that demand.

Mail order is something we want to do... it just never seems to be the right time.

Old July 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
bingo!

Its tough when people call on Monday and want the stuff shipped same day and that it should all be in stock and ready to go with easy instructions.
If people understand this ahead of time then their expectations are met. I would wait 4-6 weeks or more if I had to for the right product. People do it all the time.

How difficult can the instructions be for an exhaust?!?! It's a freakin' bolt on....literally. As long as it fits how can it go wrong.

I can understand your trepidation and I respect your restraint. But you have made it very clear that you are not focusing on mail order and you are not equiped to do it efficiently (BUYER BEWARE).

As long as I get the product I paid for and I'm willing to wait why punish me because I don't live near you! You obviously can do what you want....you are the boss. But if you are willing to put it in a box and send it, I would LOVE to use it. No expectations.

I say this all in affection for ECR as I love what they do and how they do it. Just wish I could get some of this awesome stuff.
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:15 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

We should all start emailing and calling ECR until they give into our demands. "

"We want the products and we want them whenever you can get them to us. You must abide by our demands or grave consequences well fall upon you."

That ought to do it.

I'll await my exhaust system now>

Just kidding of course.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Anyone have a used Y pipe?

97 D90 SW
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

I have a 95 used Y pipe, exc. shape you can have for scrap value.
You'd need to cut the cat out and put it in yours or weld in rear 02 sensors bunges into the pipe.

Old July 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
I have a 95 used Y pipe, exc. shape you can have for scrap value.
You'd need to cut the cat out and put it in yours or weld in rear 02 sensors bunges into the pipe.
If Shawn does not take it, I'm interested if the cats are not rattling.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, check engine light, engine, ht