replace water pump on 95 RRC - Chattanooga - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:23 AM
signalMTB
Rusty
'97 NAS D90 / '94 RRC / '05 L322

Registry
replace water pump on 95 RRC - Chattanooga

I need to replace the water pump on my RRC, 2 questions for you all...anyone have any opinions on all the aftermarket ones out there (Proline, AllMakes, AllMakes OE, Beck Arnelyetc.)?

I see lucky8 has the AllMakes OE for $90, probably just go with that unless there are big objections.

Second question...anyone in the Chattanooga area have a fan removal tool I can borrow?

Third question...anyone on this forum even remotely live near Chattanooga?
many others that have sold
Instagram: @SecondDailyClassics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:47 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

They're all comparable in quality. I typically buy locally from Bap-Geon but use Trevor at Rovahfarm frequently. You can rent the tool for free at most auto part stores (you pay for it then get refunded when you return the tool). Do not remove the serpentine belt prior to loosening that fan clutch as you'll need all the leverage resistance you can get. Shock the fan clutch nut using a heavy rubber mallet or similar to smack the 36mm wrench. Just pulling on it isn't going to work. I don't use the pulley wrench that levers against the pulley bolts because these 10mm bolts can easily be damaged or shear off. If the water pump pulley rotates you'll probably need to remove the belt and use a strap wrench to hold the pulley firmly. An extra set of hands comes in handy here. It loosens counterclockwise. Be sure to lube the water pump threads with a copper based anti-seize before reinstalling the fan clutch. After you've got the fan clutch installed give it a light tap on the wrench to snug it (clockwise).

'71 IIA 88" LS1 hybrid
'84 110 5 door 'Nigerian Princess'
'90 RRC
'97 D1 LSE (parting out)
'02 D2 Kalahari
'02 D2 SE
'02 D2 SE
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:06 AM
signalMTB
Rusty
'97 NAS D90 / '94 RRC / '05 L322

Registry
[QUOTE=ezzzzzzz;700216]They're all comparable in quality. I typically buy locally from Bap-Geon but use Trevor at Rovahfarm frequently. You can rent the tool for free at most auto part stores (you pay for it then get refunded when you return the tool). Do not remove the serpentine belt prior to loosening that fan clutch as you'll need all the leverage resistance you can get. Shock the fan clutch nut using a heavy rubber mallet or similar to smack the 36mm wrench. Just pulling on it isn't going to work. I don't use the pulley wrench that levers against the pulley bolts because these 10mm bolts can easily be damaged or shear off. If the water pump ...[QUOTE]

hey, thanks for the advice...good idea on renting the tool also. Won't be able to touch it for a week or so, the 951 failed emissions and the L322 is in need of a new compressor. drowning in car repairs at the moment.
many others that have sold
Instagram: @SecondDailyClassics

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, ac, water, water pump