Replace the whole damn exhaust or just muffler and tail? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Replace the whole damn exhaust or just muffler and tail?

Iíve got a 97 D90 with about 55K miles on it. As you can see from the pics itís time to do something with the muffler and tailpipe. Actually the tailpipe is pretty new - previous owner - but where the end of Y meets the muffler itís literally hanging by rusted steel. The strange thing is the rest of the truck only has very minor rust Ė the exhaust from the bottom of the Y back isnít so happy! Iím in Florida but the truck was in Maryland for about a year or so.

My question is this: Should I just replace the whole damn thing $$$ or just replace the muffler on back at a local muffler shop and have them cut past the bolts and weld it? The cats are not making any noises Ė how long do they typically last? Iíve seen a ton of posts but Iím not sure how the condition of the bolt-on area compares with others. Iíd rather do the right thing and not need to deal with this in a year or so. The Y pipe seems in decent shape actually but the cats and muffler are original.

Also, my previous D90 was a 1995. I replaced the muffler with a Flowmaster (Delta 50 I think) and magnaflow cats. It actually sounded a bit too aggressive for me. Can someone point me in the right direction of a more or less stock (wimpy) sound? Yes Iím a pansy! Does anyone run a delta 60?
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

As far as cats Ė Iíve heard about them being tough to fit, close to the frame, etc Ė anyone know which makes would not sound too aggressive but breathe a bit better than stock (assuming everyoneís advice is to get new cats while Iím under there)

Hutch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muff_tailpipe.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	17305   Click image for larger version

Name:	muff_ypipe.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	17306  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

If you could sandblast the connection side and cut it clean (both pieces), you could add a clean section and weld it back. I could just bend pipe for you and fix it, but I probably really far away from you here in the midwest. I would not buy new exhaust. I would find a friend with a muffler shop and buy him a few beers. I worked mine over and cut the tail pipe about a foot behind the muffler.
And I love you too
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Shane-

Thanks for the reply - there is a local muffler shop (non-chain) that will do custom work at pretty decent prices so I think I'm set.

So are you suggesting that really this should be considered a "repair job" meaning don't change anything out just cut/blast/re-weld with some new pipe?

If the cats are going to need replacing in a year or two I'm thinking I might as well do it... and while I'm replacing the cats might as well replace the muffler! Love the way that spirals... uggh. As long as I'm not replacing the Y-Pipe I don't think it will be that bad to replace all 3 but let me know if it just doesn't make sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch
Shane-

Thanks for the reply - there is a local muffler shop (non-chain) that will do custom work at pretty decent prices so I think I'm set.

So are you suggesting that really this should be considered a "repair job" meaning don't change anything out just cut/blast/re-weld with some new pipe?

If the cats are going to need replacing in a year or two I'm thinking I might as well do it... and while I'm replacing the cats might as well replace the muffler! Love the way that spirals... uggh. As long as I'm not replacing the Y-Pipe I don't think it will be that bad to replace all 3 but let me know if it just doesn't make sense.
Of couse the best way is to put new stuff on. You could be good for a long time with a fix. I guess it comes down to what you want to spend money on. My cats were beginning to split a bit. I just blasted everything clean, added some new welds where needed, a couple of hours and a few beers back on the road and probably good for another ten years.

One thing that I'm not sure of ....what is the method to dissabling the 02 sensors? When running too much boost in my vette, one of the cats came apart inside and blocked airflow resulting in blown head gasket. I simply cut the cats at the factory welds and fitted a piece of pipe and ground the welds clean for air flow purposes. Plug and play to turn off the 02s and all good. I wonder if that is possible with the antquated electronics in the Defender.

Anyone got an answer for this one?
And I love you too
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
I think I've decided to keep the cats as there are only 54K miles on them and they look and sound fine. The muffler is looking so-so and it's not that pricey to replace when I replace the pipe. So I'm going to try to find a not *too* loud of a muffler. I might try the Flowmaster Delta 60 in hopes that it's a little quieter than the Delta 50 but if anyone has any suggestions on one that is near or only a bit louder than stock I'd appreciate it.

Question: Looking at the attached picture, if they cut to the left of the end of the Y-Pipe what inlet diameter muffler do I need? On the other hand if they decide to keep the bolt-on section what is the diameter if they cut on the right (in essence the stock muffler size I guess)?

Hutch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	greenshot_2009-01-17_15-42-52.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	17359  
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Magnaflow.
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I just had to deal with the same thing on mine, but I couldn't get the rear part of the ball flange out of the front. That's even though the Y-pipe is only 2 years old. I did find both halves new at my local shop and just cut/welded them in. Took me like 15 minutes.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

i have an NRP available from the cat back.
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
flynn23
Scott Kozicki
97 NAS D90 SW

How much? I was going to order a kit from Rovers North this week.
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

300 its in the for sale parts.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Just to follow this up...

I decided to replace from the cats back. Figured the cats have plenty of life on them. I went with a magnaflow muffler and it sounds great. Deep, not tinny or hollow sounding, but not too obnoxious - that's, of course, provided by the driver himself . I prefer it to the Flowmaster Delta 50 I had on my 95, but of course that's personal opinion.

I didn't end up going with the local muffler shop and I wish I had. I went with Midas - good folks at this one and they did very clean work but it was much more than I could have gotten away with at the local shop.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

I think you did right with the Magnaflow. I replaced the virtually-new OEM muffler on my '95 (It sort of seemed out of place, because it was too quiet) with a single stainless Magnaflow, and I couldn't be happier. There is no droning inside at any RPM, and it's not too loud outside........in fact, it's as close to what I would have "ordered" if I could have bought an exhaust that way......
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I just replaced my cats this weekend with magnaflow, I already had a borla stainless exhaust on it,...yepper it sounds just right for me...

But the pain in my back, shoulder's and neck from the ackward position of cuting & welding the new cats tell me I'm outta should amigo.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, exhaust