Replace fan clutch or go electric - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2015, 11:37 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
I really hate..

to sound stupid, but don't these NAS D90's have a little electric fan to provide some additional air flow?

You can see it in this picture. (taken before I took off brush bar)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95def4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	125239  

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

The twin electric fans in the P38 are designed as pushers to cool the AC condenser. They won't push or pull enough air to cool your radiator. Even in the P38 owners had to upgrade them as they found them inadequate even for cooling the AC condenser. Even if that wasn't the case considering a 15 year old fan from a junk yard as your main cooling setup is playing with fire. Engine cooling is not where you want to save $ by compromising!
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:45 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
to sound stupid, but don't these NAS D90's have a little electric fan to provide some additional air flow?

You can see it in this picture. (taken before I took off brush bar)
My 97 with A/C had one. It is a last ditch before it overheats fan. It is set to come on at a pretty hot engine temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

If you have the $ an electric water pump is also an option. It'll give you about 4-5◊ GPM more coolant flow at idle, You'll gain about 7HP at 3000RPM, you can have it running when the engines off, wont have to remove the fan clutch when wading and it has a lifespan of around 60K. You may have to upgrade your alternator for the extra power and have an adapter plate made.
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Understanding that an overheat can cause headgasket failure, what do you think is more likely: electrical failure or mechanical failure? your answer to that answers your posting question.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:13 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
So here is a semi related question....if removed the Viscus fan and added an electric on a 19J...could I then mount a pulley where the fan was for an A/C belt and create some kind of bracket for the compressor?

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Understanding that an overheat can cause headgasket failure, what do you think is more likely: electrical failure or mechanical failure? your answer to that answers your posting question.
It sounds a simple answer....but.... There is a 100% failure rate on the viscous units from what I've seen. A well executed electric system will be as reliable. How many modern cars overheat due to failed electric fans?

Adding in a high temperature alarm is the best solution to prevent overheating. Very little cost.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Can an ERC6859 be run on a 19J?

That seems like a cheaper way to have Adam get a pulley to drive a compressor.
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It sounds a simple answer....but.... There is a 100% failure rate on the viscous units from what I've seen. A well executed electric system will be as reliable. How many modern cars overheat due to failed electric fans?

Adding in a high temperature alarm is the best solution to prevent overheating. Very little cost.
agree on the temp alarm, unless you are like me and have a vdo gauge staring at you in the face. I don't need no stinkin' alarm.

i think a failed viscous is much easier to identify during routine engine off maintenance inspection than an electric fan failure. And my days of chasing electrical gremlins in the field are over. never going back.

Old July 17th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
And my days of chasing electrical gremlins in the field are over. never going back.
It is all about the implementation quality. When done correctly, you will never have an electrical failure.

An audible alarm is the best. You normally should be looking outside and not at gauges.

Old July 17th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
An audible alarm is the best.
Ha! This coming from a TDI guy! I recommend this audible alarm model for diesel applications.

Old July 17th, 2015, 02:50 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Is that a speaker or a snorkel to route air to cool the rad?!
Cop motor, Cop brakes- must be Cop snorkel!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is not super loud in my truck. Wind noise is the biggest thing. I have a beeper for both high coolant and high EGT on mine. No problem hearing them.

Old July 17th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
When I did my radiator, I replaced the viscous coupling as well, they are in the $40-60 range and they are about the most common part on the entire vehicle with other vehicles of non-Landy make. The only perhaps tricky part is the wrench for holding the viscous coupling shaft. It is thin wrench, but you can borrow it for free from the likes of AutoZone.

As for heat and overheating. Lets see last summer i spent three weeks in the Black Rock desert pulling a 7,000 lb roller with my 97 at 3-5 mph. It never even moved off the center of the cooling gauge, even running AC. If the concept isn't broken, don't change it to a new engineering solution.

Old July 17th, 2015, 03:21 PM
gilby
Chris
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
When I did my radiator, I replaced the viscous coupling as well, they are in the $40-60 range and they are about the most common part on the entire vehicle with other vehicles of non-Landy make. The only perhaps tricky part is the wrench for holding the viscous coupling shaft. It is thin wrench, but you can borrow it for free from the likes of AutoZone. As for heat and overheating. Lets see last summer i spent three weeks in the Black Rock desert pulling a 7,000 lb roller with my 97 at 3-5 mph. It never even moved off the center of the cooling gauge, even running AC. If the concept isn't broken, don't change it to a new engineering solution.
Impressive!!
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

What a mess ! A high temp alarm is not " the best solution" for preventing overheating! A capable cooling system is on the other hand! You guys do realise that there is a 20 second give or take delay in the actual coolant temp and this alarm! A whole lot of damage can be done in that time! Maybe thats one reason manufacturers also dont agree.
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Obviously you want a good cooling system, but things fail. Viscous units, belts, water pumps, rads plug with mud... Endless amounts of possible reasons one day your engine will overheat. Knowing right away that the temperature is high (before it gets too high), lets you pull over and figure out what has failed. If you rely solely on the gauge, most likely you will miss that chance. Normally it happens while climbing a 5000 foot hard off road trail and the last thing you are doing is looking at gauges.

Old July 22nd, 2015, 05:48 PM
gilby
Chris
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Went electric after all. Also found a cracked heater core in the process. Since my blower motor doesn't work, and I've been plenty warm in the winter, I bypassed it. I'll tackle that gremlin later. Needle nary wavers off midline now. Thanks to all!
G
Old July 23rd, 2015, 04:12 AM
lennix
Lennie
1993/Defender Tdi200

While I believe that if you mainly do fairly light-weight leisure related work with your Land Rover in cool to moderate temperatures, it would be fine with an electric fan, I would personally at least opt for the clutch fan for this kind of vehicle. Considering that it would probably be cheaper for Land Rover to fit an electric fan from the start, Iím assuming that all aspects considered, the clutch fan setup is still seen as the best compromise. Likewise all other heavy duty 4x4ís that I know of employ a similar system despite the reliability of modern electronics. Personally I have a modified arrangement employing a Land Cruiser direct drive fan, which I recond has saved a cracked cylinder-head or two over the years. But I regularly use my Defender for demanding overland work in a hot climate.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 07:39 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

I ran a 'black magic' electric fan on my '71 IIA with the Chevy 4.3 V6 as there was no room for a mechanical fan. While fording in the creek off Gregory Island at Pearl's Pond I dropped into a rather deep hole. Water came in through the grille. That influx burned up the motor and broke several blades. I was down and out until an overnight replacement came into Charlottesville. If you decide to run electric I highly suggest a dash switch and warning light to cut power to fan for fording. The factory fan and clutch work reliably when in good order. The noise and hp draw aren't that big a deal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions