Replace body capping - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Replace body capping

Hi Guy's,
I have a question. How long does it take to replace the body capping on a 110? I know it depends on skill etc but roughly how long did it take you guy's that replaced it?
And is it tough to do by your self?

Cheers jeroen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2011, 11:15 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

If the top is off, it is fast. About 20 minutes to drill out the rivets and another 20-30 to rivet. That excludes the time to redip.
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Thanks Clay,

My top is still on there. So how much work and time to remove the top? do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2011, 11:36 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

working by myself in the driveway it took me the better part of a Saturday to get em off after I removed all trim, rear door, headliner top, sides, roll cage etc.

I would imagine if you had help, you could remove the cage, front headliner and rear door only. Unfasten all bolts securing top sides to tub, T-Post, middle row seatbelts and windshield and lift it off/up as 1 big unit. Then you drill out rivets as described (or do this in an earlier step) and pull em off.

I think if you were well prepared, were focused and real lucky it could be done in a couple of hours.

One thing that I ran into was that the holes for my replacement capping did not match up to the new holes. I elected to have my existing blasted (almost apart due to the amount of corrosion, repaired and dipped.

All in all the round trip on this for me was a couple of weeks of topless bliss, and one real bad rain storm.
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Hi MAtt,
Thanks for the detailed info! Now i know to get a buddy of mine to help me, and we might pull it off in a weekend. I sure hope the new body capping holes line up with the existing ones.
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeena river rover
Hi MAtt,
Thanks for the detailed info! Now i know to get a buddy of mine to help me, and we might pull it off in a weekend. I sure hope the new body capping holes line up with the existing ones.
Not a chance. Are yours trashed? Why not remove, repair and galv.
Old December 8th, 2011, 04:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I did the ones on a NAS D90 in about a day's work but that included the tailgate which was probably 3 hours unto itself and the door tops were a bear to get off and I had to drill out rivnuts which you won't have (95s have rivnuts for the fiberglass top). Once the roof is off, you should have them off in half an hour and back on with a BIG rivet gun, in an hour. I used a small rivet gun and was ready to shoot myself by the end.
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

LOL, No my capping's are beyond repair i think. There are holes in it, 2 inch wide! So i don't think you can fix that? So i need the big gun
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

When I removed mine they were rough, after blasing I had gigantic holes as well. Took em to some local guys that worked some magic on em. pics here http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9965
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:21 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Ron, what do you mean by big? When I did mine, I used an elcheapo Ace branded hand riveter. 2-3 pumps per rivet, easy.
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Hi MAtt,
I read your posting. Very nice that guy did some real magic on your capping. I don't think i can find a guy like that in my area But i keep it in mind for sure!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, body