Repeatedly blowing undehood 30A fuse - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 3rd, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
Repeatedly blowing undehood 30A fuse

Ok, this is getting odd. I'm repeatedly blowing out the 30A under-hood fuse that's marked 'lighting' .

But every time it goes, I loose everything but the dash lights.

No power to the ECU, no power to the starter, no power to the distributor, no gauges.

But I can't figure out what the common connection is between the circuits.... unless maybe the ignition switch wires are on wrong, and it's using the lighting feed for the switch?

Follow-up Post:

Well, just tested every way I could think of and confirmed it.... The main fusebox under the hood on mine was wired backwards. The lighting fuse and ignition fuse wires are reversed at the box, so when I should have been going through a 60amp fuse it was going through the 30amp and probably just barely enough to fry it. My guess is that it's time for a new fuel filter and it's putting a bit more load on the pump, which makes sense since it always blew out during the first few seconds when the pump was priming the system for the first time.

Follow-up Post:

Scratch that, it's a short somewhere in the lighting circuit..... I'll deal with it tomorrow. At least it's narrowed down quite a lot for possible circuits.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 6th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253
I had a sticky starter relay that was blowing one of my 30A's underhood. New relay two weeks ago, no 'stuck-engaged' starter and no blown fuse (so far...)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

hood, wing