Repair Shop Needed - Sacramento - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Repair Shop Needed - Sacramento

Searched and didn't find anything. Cerrones is just to far away to be practical.

Have a not so nice clattering coming from either the transfer case or trans. Truck still shifts fine and goes into lock hi/lo. But you can hear it pretty well from within the cab at idle if you lower the window. Sounds like a nut or something rattling around inside the case for lack of a better description.

Need someone with more knowledge than myself to diagnose before I go pulling things apart. If there is someone around Dixon that wants to take a listen and give some advice I will reciprocate with beer.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Is Rover Hybrids a little closer to you than Cerrones?. I have read good things about him on this site. Shane is his name I think. Have not seen him on the site for awhile though.
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Slushbox rattle at neutral w/ tcase in neutral. I banged on all the cats and they seem solid. Sure seems like a tcase issue but no problems on shifting. Super odd.

Thanks for the references. I am going to spend some more time trying to isolate then go somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

It sounds like something loose being tossed around in side one of the cases. I will try the neutral roll with both shifters and see what I hear.

Thanks so much for the diagnosis tips. Really appreciated.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:01 PM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

JS;

Thx for the neutral tips. Based on that, and reading other threads I decided to pull the Y-pipe before paying for a professional. Noise went away. Cat needed to heat up a bit before rattling, that's why banging on it when cold produced no noise.

Thanks D90 Source!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac