Repair or Replace 3.5L V8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 26th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Robert Eller
1989 110 V8
Cool Repair or Replace 3.5L V8

Hello, i'm new to these forums, new to Land Rover and new to working on cars, but I'm enjoying all of it. I searched the forums for similar posts, but came up empty.

I've had a 1989 110 V8 with about 100K mi for about a year and have made progress on some things, but the engine eludes me. The chap I bought it from replaced the exhaust manifolds with non OEM parts and in the process chucked part of the cold air intake system. He put filters on each carb, and all of the lines and hoses that went to each cylinder and to the block are either gone or dangling, with bolts filling the place where they used to go in the cylinders.

The engine runs better than it used to, after replacing the plugs and other electricals and having a well-reputed land rover shop tune the engine. However, it still doesn't 'go' as it should. It revs smoothly with the clutch in, but sounds puttery and lacks power when under a load. It seems like it can ALMOST go better, but not quite.

I currently get about 11 mpg, and would like this to be better for the long haul.

So some questions:

1) Do the parts that are missing from the Orig air system that go to each cylinder etc cause symptoms like this?
2) Would it be advisable to swap the non OEM exhaust system for the right parts, then replace the OEM cold air system parts that are missing?
3) Should I be looking at something else for the lack of power (I realize that it's only rated to 130hp or so, but one of my friends has a V8 that runs much better)
4) If replacing the engine would be better and less costly in the long term, what is the best way to go about that? Are there kits to convert the car to other common light truck engines like Chevy/Ford/Toyota/other? Can you convert a petrol to a diesel?

Many Thanks in advance...

Old May 26th, 2014, 05:50 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
Welcome to the board.
Your profile says you're in the UK so that 11mpg is scary since Petrol is costing $8 a us gallon and your gallon is bigger!!!!
So somebody modified your intake system. Let's see some shots of what you have under the bonnet.
How's the spark? Timing? Etc. checked hoses for vacuum leaks? Those disconnected hoses could well be causing issues. How's the compression?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

lack of power, v8