Repainting 95 AA Yellow to Arles Blue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Helihntr
Hunter Seley

Repainting 95 AA Yellow to Arles Blue

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? How much is involved? How difficult is it to remove everything that needs to be primed and painted? Should I strip the yellow or paint over it?

Thanks in advance.
Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2005, 11:57 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

It might be easier to sell the yelow and buy a blue. You might even come out ahead.

Green is where it's at though!
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yellow and red are the two worst paints to paint over because it is obvious when you get a scratch. I would strip it. I have a couple red panels that I painted over and to do again, I would strip them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2005, 02:35 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Sell it. someone out there will pay very good money for an AA yellow LR. You've really got to strip the vehicle down completely to get the paint in all the right places. Think of the work just to get all the components off of the bulkhead (fire wall)and then sanding all those nooks and cranies.
It's got to be done to look right. just doing the outside won't cut it - you'll knock huge amounts off of it's value.
That's why my shit brown 90 is still that colour
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0991.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	3072  
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:51 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

You should remove every panel and the associated trim to paint it completely - in and out. As to the bulkhead, well, that's your option but you'll be sick of seeing that yellow if you don't do that as well.

Now, to remove the old paint you can do it yourself easily, cost effectively (?) and completely using baking soda. Just blast it off. It leaves the metal perfect for primer. Forget sanding!

As long as you're removing so much you may as well take everything off and treat the frame.

In the end I would just sell it and buy another, although finding a blue one is tough. Did they make blue in 94-95???
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

They did make the Arles blue in 94 because (that is what mine originally was).
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Mine is an Arles Blue 94 and I know of at least 2 others that I have seen in person.
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Why would you want to paint over a yellow one? I really wanted a AA 90 when I was shopping a few years ago but didn't want to pay what seemed to be a premium on them. I got Conniston Green instead which I almost painted G4 orange last year but to do it right took way to much work. If you're going to do it right you have to strip the truck all the way down to the bulkhead, don't just paint it over.
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:30 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Color change is a big no-go without complete disassembly. It will just look like total crap when done.
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:29 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Well that seems prety conclusive then!
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Helihntr
Hunter Seley

First thanks for all the feedback. I am repainting because I could not find a 95 Arles Blue ST. I believe in 95 they where only available as a SW. 97's - all auto. I thought about buying a blue SW but was advised not to try and convert it to a ST.....hard to find all the hardware to do it etc. So I bought the yellow with plans to paint it as an easier solution? Looks like I will be doing the complete disassembly. Arthur can you tell me more about the baking soda thing? I will post my progress on this project. Thanks again
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It's your truck and you can do whatever you want but I STRONGLY recommend against this. The Yellow is the most saught after model and the most valuable by at least a few G's. Sell it, and buy a white one that is 5 grand cheaper, take the 5 grand and get the best paint job on earth. It is truely a shame to ruin a yellow D. Its just my opinion, but in my mind, its like buying a Ferrari and putting a bumper on it from a 1978 Pacer wagon.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
It's your truck and you can do whatever you want but I STRONGLY recommend against this. The Yellow is the most saught after model and the most valuable by at least a few G's. Sell it, and buy a white one that is 5 grand cheaper, take the 5 grand and get the best paint job on earth. It is truely a shame to ruin a yellow D. Its just my opinion, but in my mind, its like buying a Ferrari and putting a bumper on it from a 1978 Pacer wagon.
Heck, I'll trade you my green one to do with as you please. Please don't destroy a yellow. There is a premium for yellow and Buck's suggestion is right on. That said, it's your truck to do with as you please. Good luck with the strip down if you do go that route.
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Why not Buy an Arles 94 and change the tail lights and marker lights like those on a 95? Other then the year thats the only real differance between the 2 as long as it has the the R380 tranns. I would think this would be by far the easiest way to go as it is very little work to change out the marker lights.
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Why not Buy an Arles 94 and change the tail lights and marker lights like those on a 95? Other then the year thats the only real differance between the 2 as long as it has the the R380 tranns. I would think this would be by far the easiest way to go as it is very little work to change out the marker lights.
The 95 has land rover printed on the steering wheel, door pockets, front door mechanism to keep the doors open, and rear tail gate lock. But wait, how would you know this stuff. Do you even know what door is
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I thought that stuff was all added by the dealer? And I know what a door is! I've been in your Defender!
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Adding to the chorus, changing colors is a bad idea. With any car, you can run into issues with things like insurance and title. With a cult vehicle having only 7000 (or so) counterparts in the US, you will take a hit in value. Given you already own the most valuable color, you will be diminishing value twofold.

From reading your posts, you will a) be doing a lot of this yourself and b) are not very experienced in this particular area. I can never understand why some sink $25k plus in a specialty vehicle and then shade-tree mechanic the thing. Who is really going to want to buy this later if you need to sell one day? Taking apart a vehicle should only be done with care, caution, and necessity, as they frequently never go back together the same when lacking real experience and using back yard tools and techniques. This may be fine for an old beater 4x4, but more than likely you will seriously regret it on your Defender.

You're not the same guy who wanted to drop in a chevy v-6 in place of the rover v-8 are you?
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:32 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I painted my truck and I had to break it down into slamm pieces. Unless you are planning an entire rebuild don't do it. IT will then turn into a can of worms and you will also have to replace tons of other crap. Like everyone elso says, look for a different color. Actually what is the difference. Its a D. they are all cool.
Old April 30th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Hunter, in the end it is YOUR truck and you can do whatever you wish with it. That being said, I wouldn't go for a new paint job. To do the job right would involve stripping the truck down to the frame. Perhaps a good option if you were doing a frame up restoration, but not a good option if you want to have it available to drive and enjoy. In the end it is your decision how much mony or time you are willing to invest.

I agree with Randy. Its a D. they are all cool.

Yousef: Is the front door mechanism meant to keep the door open? I thought that it was designed to shatter knee-caps and crush shins. Apparently mine is malfunctioning
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Hey Hunter,

I thought the last time we talked you had decided against painting it. It would be a shame to paint a truck that nice. But like we've discussed before it's your Defender . Hey, just so everybody else knows what we're talking about, this is Hunter's D-90....

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4071

Will H.
'97 D-90 #1008

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, arles blue, paint