Repainting 95 AA Yellow to Arles Blue - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2005, 08:01 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Who gives a shit about how valuable Yellow defenders are? it's your truck man, paint it whatever the hell color you want. If you paint your yellow one blue, you've just made the yellow ones that are left that more "valuable"...I'm surprised all the guys with yellow 90's aren't writing in begging you to paint it blue. paint it, man.

my truck's white. maybe I'll paint mine. Maybe black...or willow green. maybe matte black...how cool would that be? matte black with gloss black flames. maybe I'll rhino line the whole thing. or spray paint it camo. The point is, it's my truck, and it's bad ass...no matter what color it is. I don't worry about selling it. i rarely wash it, and i don't spend a lot of time worrying about it getting scratched either. i do whatever the hell i want with my truck and you should too.

when did we as a group get so caught up in how much our trucks are worth and what the resale value is gonna be like? Here's a news flash, in a couple of years it'll be legal to start importing 90's over here from the UK and when that happens the bottoms going to fall out of the US D-90 "market" anyway. (if there's a market left)

Hell, maybe I'll start importing BOAT LOADS of 90's...I'll paint them ALL AA Yellow and sell them on e-bay. I wonder what that would do to the AA Yellow market over here?
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2005, 08:20 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
Here's a news flash, in a couple of years it'll be legal to start importing 90's over here from the UK and when that happens the bottoms going to fall out of the US D-90 "market" anyway. (if there's a market left)?

Yeah, right. RHD, 1983 D90's (not Defenders) with a ton of good 'ol English rust will surely eliminate interest in 1994-97 NAS Defenders. Give me a break! Oh, and good luck finding 1983 LHD ones as good as the NAS.

There will always be a strong market for the NAS because they're the best versions available. If you want your Tdi you can convert yours now. So, there you go - the best of either world.
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:21 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Who gives a shit about how valuable Yellow defenders are? it's your truck man, paint it whatever the hell color you want. If you paint your yellow one blue, you've just made the yellow ones that are left that more "valuable"...I'm surprised all the guys with yellow 90's aren't writing in begging you to paint it blue. paint it, man.

my truck's white. maybe I'll paint mine. Maybe black...or willow green. maybe matte black...how cool would that be? matte black with gloss black flames. maybe I'll rhino line the whole thing. or spray paint it camo. The point is, it's my truck, and it's bad ass...no matter what color it is. I don't worry about selling it. i rarely wash it, and i don't spend a lot of time worrying about it getting scratched either. i do whatever the hell i want with my truck and you should too.

when did we as a group get so caught up in how much our trucks are worth and what the resale value is gonna be like? Here's a news flash, in a couple of years it'll be legal to start importing 90's over here from the UK and when that happens the bottoms going to fall out of the US D-90 "market" anyway. (if there's a market left)

Hell, maybe I'll start importing BOAT LOADS of 90's...I'll paint them ALL AA Yellow and sell them on e-bay. I wonder what that would do to the AA Yellow market over here?

Bro,

Go back and read the posts again, we don't care about the resale value, we only advised him it would be smarter to start with a less valuable truck, like say a WHITE one, and then paint it. Just trying to save him some money. Everything else you said was mostly accurate. carry on.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:23 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

a WHITE one...LOL...good one David. I wonder how many guys with white 90's will get offended by that comment? By the way, what color is your truck? yellow?

seriously, if you were dying to have a different color 90 than what you currently own, would you really consider selling your truck and trying to find another vehicle that is the color you want? who would do that knowing that a lot of what's for sale out there is high mileage and may have potentially been abused offroad or neglected on road?...with any used car, and especially with these trucks, you don't really know what you're gonna get...BUT...if you already own a truck that you've had for some time...you've driven it, you've maintained it and know the service history, you have the receipts, maybe you even named it...(I knoiw alot of us do) etc...I think that means a helluva lot. More than what Kelley Blue Book says in my opinion...

Let's say you've had an Austrailian Shepard for several years and one day you decide that you want a dog with short hair...do you sell the family dog and go adopt a Lab mix from the shelter? Hell no you don't... you take your dog to the groomers, you get him a hair cut, then take him home and play fetch. I don't know what the hell that means, but I think there's a moral in there someplace.

All I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with a guy wanting to paint his f***ing truck...After all, some people think cucumbers taste better pickled... huh? what? Our man Hunter likes pickles. More power to him.

And for the record, i happen to love my WHITE truck...even though it's actually brown most of the time...
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:56 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Just pointing out the pitfalls - the fact that to do a good job, and that AA yellow 90 looks like a good 'un will take a lot of time and effort so that it doesn't look like some back street blow over job.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Sell it. someone out there will pay very good money for an AA yellow LR. You've really got to strip the vehicle down completely to get the paint in all the right places. Think of the work just to get all the components off of the bulkhead (fire wall)and then sanding all those nooks and cranies.
It's got to be done to look right. just doing the outside won't cut it - you'll knock huge amounts off of it's value.
That's why my shit brown 90 is still that colour

Not that my truck has much value to start with
and there are some rust issues in the bulkhead top rail that are next on the list to be sorted.
Camo...... now theres an idea
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:11 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I saw one at MAR someone took a wire brush to and "de-painted" it to a nice metallic silver.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Any color would be cool, just if you are going to do it, like others said, do it right and strip it down and paint everything. THere is nothing worse then removing a part and finding another color painted under it or tape lines....
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

speaking of rust on the bulkhead, man am I getting some of that. i just noticed it a few weeks ago and haven't addressed it yet. what I can see is hidden away behing the AC vent on the passenger side. how big of a deal is this gonna be? could i just POR 15 it or what?

sorry to hijack this thread...
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

i have a blue 97 sw, care to trade??
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:12 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hey Roverboy - just to help you hijack the thread:

Sure you can POR15 the bulkhead, I POR15'd all the seams and some other areas when I had my truck apart. The only thing you really need to be aware of is that some parts of the bulkhead are one sheet thick, some parts are boxed in so you cant get to the inside, and some areas like the footwells are two pieces of metal sandwitched together. Just be aware of it so you can treat the rust from both sides. Just painting POR15 on a seam on the floor wont help much if the other side exposed to the weather is left to rust. One thing I did was drill a little hole in each of the "ridges" on the underside of the footwells - then I sprayed lots of waxoyl in these cavities.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Jim thats a really good idea!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:09 PM
Helihntr
Hunter Seley

Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback.
When I bought this defender I bought it knowing that I will never EVER get rid of it. To me the defender series vehicles are simply the best! Resale value is not an issue I will never sell. I think when I paint it Arles Blue it will not lose its value twofold. It will be the only Arles Blue 95 ST. I love that color and must have it. I also think keeping it a "factory color" is cool. I will absolutly do a complete disasembly, proper prep, and repaint. As far as titleing and insurance I will look into trying to document the change to keep the paperwork straight....but again another great point and thanks! I think the best way to learn about my D is to get in there and work on it!!! Its the only way to truly get to know it inside and out. With help from a few very experienced freinds and this forum my teardown & rebuild should be outstanding. Thanks to this forum I will consider doing some other things while its down. Thanks again for all the replies.....and Roverboy - I'm with you!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:40 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh, you're committed to doing a good job? Well have at it then! It will actually be a great chance to galvanize stuff, powdercoat, waxoyl, POR15 or whatever else you care to do to protect your Rover parts. Have a good time doing it and keep us up to date.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:47 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Why do they do that, sandwiching two bits of steel together? They just know what's going to happen

To further hijack the thread
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Hunter, there is a guy local to me that has a clean 94 Arles Blue ST with aournd 100,000 miles. New tcase and tranny. If you are interested, I will tell him to contact you by email.

Chris
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Jim,
what an EXCELLENT idea with the drilling and the waxoyl, man. BRILLIANT!!!

I'll definitely do that when I tear it down for the repair...

tom
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:01 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Jim,
what an EXCELLENT idea with the drilling and the waxoyl, man. BRILLIANT!!!

I'll definitely do that when I tear it down for the repair...

tom
I don't need to drill............

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, arles blue, paint