Removing Window Tint - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question Removing Window Tint

Anyone out there know how to remove window tint? I want to remove the window tint on my sliding door windows. Will a razor blade work?

Mike

95 D90 ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Anyone out there know how to remove window tint? I want to remove the window tint on my sliding door windows. Will a razor blade work?

Mike

95 D90 ST
I'm interested in this too, but i want to do my back window, the tint reflects like a mirror, so every time a car is heading toward me from the front it looks like one is about to barrel into me from behind!
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:02 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Windex and a razor. Start at one end and lift it, spray large amounts of windex and peel back at a 45 degree angle. It's easy. Did the same to mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
I'm interested in this too, but i want to do my back window, the tint reflects like a mirror, so every time a car is heading toward me from the front it looks like one is about to barrel into me from behind!
Mine does this without tint, too. Just FYI. Been fooled many times!
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

David and Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I get reflection from my windows too. When the are open to one side, they "double-up" making it very difficult to see out of, especially at night. Also, (this may be a dumb question) will the razor blade scratch the glass?

Mike

95 D90 ST
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:34 PM
d90xjay
J Phillips
1997 D90 SW

Hmm, I've been wanting to add tint to my back windows for some time now to cut down on the reflections. Guess it doesn't help. I would have hated to install the tint only to find out reflections are still there.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Is the stock NAS D90 windshield tinted?

If it is, how hard is it to remove the tint?

Mine is 14 years old now and has thousands of little pin pricks on it (from sand and dust blowing etc). I was hoping I could just re-tint the window and save myself from buying a new windshield. I was going to re-tint the rest of the windows so I might as well do the windshield as well.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

I just removed window tinting from 4 RR windows and what really made it easier was to buy a 4 - 5" wide window scraper with a handle. It is about 3 or 4 times wider than a regular razor-blade window scraper, so it cuts your time by about two thirds. Plus you can really push hard on it without the razor retracting.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal

Mine is 14 years old now and has thousands of little pin pricks on it (from sand and dust blowing etc). I was hoping I could just re-tint the window and save myself from buying a new windshield. I was going to re-tint the rest of the windows so I might as well do the windshield as well.
Not tinted as far as I can tell. You may want to try one of the winshield polishing kits from a place like Griot's or Eastwood, could be just the ticket.

I'm personally waiting for a nice bullseye rock hit to start cracking. Took the rock hit 3 years ago and it just doesn't want to crack enough that I can get the insurance company to replace the glass. Hopefully this winter.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

Stock glass, when tinted, never have removable tint. As far as aftermarket tints, they're almost never applied to the windshield, and, as a rule, are only on the inside.

You're stuck buying a windshield, or asking your insurance company to buy one for you. They're not very costly.

Old September 28th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Stock glass, when tinted, never have removable tint. As far as aftermarket tints, they're almost never applied to the windshield, and, as a rule, are only on the inside.

You're stuck buying a windshield, or asking your insurance company to buy one for you. They're not very costly.
Damn. I think you're right Jim. It's not the answer I was looking for. I'll have to buy a new windscreen but since I have so many other things on my list of improvements, this little cosmetic issue is further down the list.

Thanks!
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:20 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover

Mike

95 D90 ST
Single edge razor blades work fine for removing the plastic film, but you will need a can of 3M solvent for the glue, this makes it real easy.
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:20 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
My Dad used to be in the tint business back in the 80s. The best thing to do is to get another sheet of tint or thin plastic sheeting. Spray a a solvent (not sure which kind but essentially a base to dissolve adhesive) on the tint and lay the plastic sheeting on the tint. Let it soak. The solvent will eventually soak through and loosen up the adhesive on the tint layer you are trying to remove. Then a good old 4" blade and scraper will do it. It's not easy but that trick should help a bit.
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
Jim, I am getting ready to get all my D90 windows tinted. You were saying that if the glass is stock then the tint is non-removable, ie, part of the glass vs a film. Is this correct? The tint shop is asking if there is any tint that needs to be removed before the application of the new one.

I assume that this has to be taken into consideration when choosing the tint type because putting a tinted film on an already tinted glass might take your level of tint from legal to illegal, depending on the state's regulation.

Are the gaskets/rubber trim around the windows easy to remove? I have never done it and I want to make sure I give the tint shop some pointers, if any are needed.

Thanks!
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:37 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
someone told me WD40 works, haven't tried it yet..
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Jim, I am getting ready to get all my D90 windows tinted. You were saying that if the glass is stock then the tint is non-removable, ie, part of the glass vs a film. Is this correct? The tint shop is asking if there is any tint that needs to be removed before the application of the new one.

I assume that this has to be taken into consideration when choosing the tint type because putting a tinted film on an already tinted glass might take your level of tint from legal to illegal, depending on the state's regulation.

Are the gaskets/rubber trim around the windows easy to remove? I have never done it and I want to make sure I give the tint shop some pointers, if any are needed.

Thanks!
There are only two colors available as stock - clear, and blue-green. The blue-green isn't appreciably darker, but there is definitely a color-shift. If your original, stock, LR-supplied windows are tinted grey, then its got to be aftermarket, and thus removable. I don't think the difference between stock tinted blue-green glass and stock clear glass would be a consideration in the final darkness of the tint.

Which window gaskets are you talking about? Alpine windows and rear corner windows are held in with rubber seals, the back glass on a station wagon is glued in, the sliding side windows float in tracks, etc - I'm not sure what configuration you're dealing with or where you are putting the tint.

I should qualify all this by saying my only experience is removing aftermarket tints because I can't stand the stuff. It took a lot of adhesive remover, razor blades, glass cleaner, and time. Fortunately Tisdale wasn't home at the time so he didn't have to hear all the swearing.

Old November 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
There are only two colors available as stock - clear, and blue-green. The blue-green isn't appreciably darker, but there is definitely a color-shift. If your original, stock, LR-supplied windows are tinted grey, then its got to be aftermarket, and thus removable. I don't think the difference between stock tinted blue-green glass and stock clear glass would be a consideration in the final darkness of the tint.

Which window gaskets are you talking about? Alpine windows and rear corner windows are held in with rubber seals, the back glass on a station wagon is glued in, the sliding side windows float in tracks, etc - I'm not sure what configuration you're dealing with or where you are putting the tint.

I should qualify all this by saying my only experience is removing aftermarket tints because I can't stand the stuff. It took a lot of adhesive remover, razor blades, glass cleaner, and time. Fortunately Tisdale wasn't home at the time so he didn't have to hear all the swearing.
Thanks Jim. All my windows are stock. It looks like there is a blue/green tint to them. I'm talking about the sliding side windows, alpine windows, and rear window gaskets. I assume they will have to remove the rubber seals to access the glass in order to install the tint. Hopefully they won't have to disassemble the sliding glass on the side windows in order to install it. If they do, I want to make sure they put it back together properly and don't break anything. I can imagine they don't work on Defenders very often so I want to make sure they do it right.
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I couldn't tell from your pic if you had a station wagon or a soft top with a fiberglass top on it. Usually tint places are pretty good about getting tint right up to edges of glass areas, but lots or cars have those blackened areas around their glass which makes it easier.

I don't know what they propose, but I'm guessing they'll just do the windows by which ever method is easiest, even if it produces a sub-standard result. I doubt they'll take out any windows at all. Taking the glass out of the sliding windows is not a quick and easy job, meaning they'll: 1) not do it 2) fuck up the job 3) bill you heavily, or 4) all of the above.

You mention that you are assuming some stuff, which is bad. If I were you I would dedicate at least one trip to show them the truck, go over the various kinds of windows with an installer, and agree on the method by which they'll do the job (and the approximate bill). If they don't give you a good vibe at that meeting or are dismissive of your concerns, then go somewhere else.

Old November 11th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I would try to find a good local tint shop that high end consumers are using. A good shop will give you a lifetime warranty against bubbling and discoloration. They should stand behind their work, otherwise go elsewhere. I don't know all the tricks of the trade, but I have watched them do it a few times and it's really impressive. I just stay out of the way and I've never had a problem with the shop I use; they know what they're doing.

Removing it is really quite easy. All you need is a razor blade and an ammonia base window cleaner. The ammonia dissolves the adhesive and turns it into a soupy consistency that is easily removed with the razor blade, then just spray heavily with the cleaner again and wipe clean with a cloth.
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It's a station wagon. I plan do it exactly as you described. Visit, pick out tints and go over the windows at the shop. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin, window