Removing the fan & Fan clutch assy/ water pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2006, 11:44 AM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Removing the fan & Fan clutch assy/ water pump

I know most of you probably have gone through this, but I figured, I'd throw this out here for the next person who may do a search.

So the Service manual, says to hold the pulleys in place by sticking some kind of rod in the pulley, and holding it in place, while spinning the fan clutch assy off with a big wrench.
Well, I'm sure y'all know, there IS NO notch in the pulley, so I put one there. Drilled a hole large enough to hold a screwdriver, and used that to get the fan clutch assy on there. Hopefully, there is no detrement, and it'll make the next removal easier.

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I normaly use a chain wrench to hold the pulley but sometimes it can leave a few scares on the pulley
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Arbik,

Get that thing fixed in time for Rover Rendezvous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2006, 12:14 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Rr6

Hey Kelly,

I'm trying to
Got a long way to go...but hopefully, I"ll knock out some stuff today.
If you're free, give me a ring, and swing on by, I dont need help, but I can sure use some land rover wisdom. (Mother of god, I love driving these thing, but I sure do miss my jeeps when its time to work on them)
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

i've been staring at my fan for the last day(okay like 2 hours that i had to work on the truck)
I'm a little confused by the manual, is there a bolt on the front of the fan that needs to be removed?
Do i need to take the radiator out first?

is it normal to want to kill the last guy who installed the radiator hoses for leaving all the hose clamp tighteners in completely inaccesible positions?
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
i've been staring at my fan for the last day(okay like 2 hours that i had to work on the truck)
I'm a little confused by the manual, is there a bolt on the front of the fan that needs to be removed?
Do i need to take the radiator out first?

is it normal to want to kill the last guy who installed the radiator hoses for leaving all the hose clamp tighteners in completely inaccesible positions?
I just did it on my RRC, same engine, so I assume they are similar enough for me to answer this:

1: No, it's the nut on the fan assembly that spins off. It is reverse threaded, so try moving it right for loose, not left.

2. You don't need to take the radiator out to get it off, but watch you don't ding it up real bad.

3. Yes, find PO and whip the sh*t out of them. I considered just cutting all the hoses/belts and replacing it got so frustrating.
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
I just did it on my RRC, same engine, so I assume they are similar enough for me to answer this:

1: No, it's the nut on the fan assembly that spins off. It is reverse threaded, so try moving it right for loose, not left.

2. You don't need to take the radiator out to get it off, but watch you don't ding it up real bad.

3. Yes, find PO and whip the sh*t out of them. I considered just cutting all the hoses/belts and replacing it got so frustrating.
If you got a 97 its not reverse thread, it comes off like any nut (Learned the haard way)

Neil

PS: A rubber strap wrench will hold the pulley nicely, even with the belt on.
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt

so is their a nut on the radiator side, or is it the nut "inside" the fan on the motor side?

I have a 94.
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

inside
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
'97 D90

I am putting on a new water pump on the '97 D90, and I was wondering if there is anything strange I should lookout/be careful of?
I know from Niel that the nut is not a reverse thread, anythig else.
36mm wrench...
Thanks in advance!
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thats about it dude. Be careful not to drop the fan when you get the clutch off or you might break the blades. It also helps to have the U tool to hold the pulley and the other wrench to turn the nut. The tools the mechanics use are skinny so that way they both can fit into that narrow space between the pulley and the nut. See if you can borrow one from a mechanic. Good luck.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
Thats about it dude. Be careful not to drop the fan when you get the clutch off or you might break the blades. It also helps to have the U tool to hold the pulley and the other wrench to turn the nut. The tools the mechanics use are skinny so that way they both can fit into that narrow space between the pulley and the nut. See if you can borrow one from a mechanic. Good luck.

Neil
after everything was said and done with mine i checked out prices for new fans, incase i broke mine, and for a bit more then the price of a rover fan i could upgrade to electrics... still might go in that direction...
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Bicycle shops have thin wrenches that work great for the fan. Just smack it with a soft hammer & done.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Another "cheap" alternative for the wrench. Buy a cheap POS wrench from the autoparts store and grind it thinner. Works great and cost me about 6-7 minutes and $3.
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:02 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottYates
Another "cheap" alternative for the wrench. Buy a cheap POS wrench from the autoparts store and grind it thinner. Works great and cost me about 6-7 minutes and $3.
I spent about 12 bucks on a wrench, i figure if i used it 3 more times from now till i die that would be alot...
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:48 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Anyone knows nut size and if it's left or right hand threaded on a v8 4.6 ?
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
So if I understand this correctly since I will be doing this any day the 97 is loose to the left? I have the 36mm wrench do I need a second wrench to hold the fan in place while loosening the fan bolt?
Thanks

------ Follow up post added February 1st, 2011 02:53 PM ------

http://landroverforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27766

found this tech
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:28 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I used a vice-grip and the VC fan off easily on my 94. just had to angle it just right to fit in the space that was there. It was easy to do once the fan cowl was off. (I replaced it with a Kenlowe but keep the VC Fan for emergencies in case the Electric fan fails on a trail run).
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

The fan nut is super easy to break loose. An old timer LR mechanic showed me a trick last fall and its never failed me since. Make sure to leave the belt on (not needed but helps)

Get a crecent wrench that will fit on the nut.
Get a big hammer.
Grab the wrench in one hand and and start gently pulling towards the passenger side. With the other hand start smacking the top of the crecent wrench firmly. The pulling and hitting force breakes the nut loose in two or three wacks.
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:55 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
Anyone knows nut size and if it's left or right hand threaded on a v8 4.6 ?
So it's a 36 mm wrench and it's right hand threaded.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, fan, fan clutch, vin, water, water pump