Defender Source Forum banner

Removing the fan & Fan clutch assy/ water pump

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Campbell 
#1 ·
I know most of you probably have gone through this, but I figured, I'd throw this out here for the next person who may do a search.

So the Service manual, says to hold the pulleys in place by sticking some kind of rod in the pulley, and holding it in place, while spinning the fan clutch assy off with a big wrench.
Well, I'm sure y'all know, there IS NO notch in the pulley, so I put one there. Drilled a hole large enough to hold a screwdriver, and used that to get the fan clutch assy on there. Hopefully, there is no detrement, and it'll make the next removal easier.

-arbi

#4 ·
Rr6

Hey Kelly,

I'm trying to :)
Got a long way to go...but hopefully, I"ll knock out some stuff today.
If you're free, give me a ring, and swing on by, I dont need help, but I can sure use some land rover wisdom. (Mother of god, I love driving these thing, but I sure do miss my jeeps when its time to work on them)

#5 ·
i've been staring at my fan for the last day(okay like 2 hours that i had to work on the truck)
I'm a little confused by the manual, is there a bolt on the front of the fan that needs to be removed?
Do i need to take the radiator out first?

is it normal to want to kill the last guy who installed the radiator hoses for leaving all the hose clamp tighteners in completely inaccesible positions?

#6 ·
tkavan01 said:
i've been staring at my fan for the last day(okay like 2 hours that i had to work on the truck)
I'm a little confused by the manual, is there a bolt on the front of the fan that needs to be removed?
Do i need to take the radiator out first?

is it normal to want to kill the last guy who installed the radiator hoses for leaving all the hose clamp tighteners in completely inaccesible positions?
I just did it on my RRC, same engine, so I assume they are similar enough for me to answer this:

1: No, it's the nut on the fan assembly that spins off. It is reverse threaded, so try moving it right for loose, not left.

2. You don't need to take the radiator out to get it off, but watch you don't ding it up real bad.

3. Yes, find PO and whip the sh*t out of them. I considered just cutting all the hoses/belts and replacing it got so frustrating.

#7 · (Edited)
JBurt said:
I just did it on my RRC, same engine, so I assume they are similar enough for me to answer this:

1: No, it's the nut on the fan assembly that spins off. It is reverse threaded, so try moving it right for loose, not left.

2. You don't need to take the radiator out to get it off, but watch you don't ding it up real bad.

3. Yes, find PO and whip the sh*t out of them. I considered just cutting all the hoses/belts and replacing it got so frustrating.
If you got a 97 its not reverse thread, it comes off like any nut (Learned the haard way)

Neil

PS: A rubber strap wrench will hold the pulley nicely, even with the belt on.

#8 ·
JBurt said:

so is their a nut on the radiator side, or is it the nut "inside" the fan on the motor side?

I have a 94.

#10 · (Edited)
'97 D90

I am putting on a new water pump on the '97 D90, and I was wondering if there is anything strange I should lookout/be careful of?
I know from Niel that the nut is not a reverse thread, anythig else.
36mm wrench...
Thanks in advance!

#11 ·
Thats about it dude. Be careful not to drop the fan when you get the clutch off or you might break the blades. It also helps to have the U tool to hold the pulley and the other wrench to turn the nut. The tools the mechanics use are skinny so that way they both can fit into that narrow space between the pulley and the nut. See if you can borrow one from a mechanic. Good luck.

Neil

#12 ·
Neil McCauley said:
Thats about it dude. Be careful not to drop the fan when you get the clutch off or you might break the blades. It also helps to have the U tool to hold the pulley and the other wrench to turn the nut. The tools the mechanics use are skinny so that way they both can fit into that narrow space between the pulley and the nut. See if you can borrow one from a mechanic. Good luck.

Neil
after everything was said and done with mine i checked out prices for new fans, incase i broke mine, and for a bit more then the price of a rover fan i could upgrade to electrics... still might go in that direction...

#14 ·
Another "cheap" alternative for the wrench. Buy a cheap POS wrench from the autoparts store and grind it thinner. Works great and cost me about 6-7 minutes and $3.

#18 ·
I used a vice-grip and the VC fan off easily on my 94. just had to angle it just right to fit in the space that was there. It was easy to do once the fan cowl was off. (I replaced it with a Kenlowe but keep the VC Fan for emergencies in case the Electric fan fails on a trail run).

#19 ·
The fan nut is super easy to break loose. An old timer LR mechanic showed me a trick last fall and its never failed me since. Make sure to leave the belt on (not needed but helps)

Get a crecent wrench that will fit on the nut.
Get a big hammer.
Grab the wrench in one hand and and start gently pulling towards the passenger side. With the other hand start smacking the top of the crecent wrench firmly. The pulling and hitting force breakes the nut loose in two or three wacks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.