removing %#^% spacers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

removing %#^% spacers

I'm swapping diffs for lower gears - front and rear - and I cannot get the damn 2" spacers off to pull the axles.
The axle flange nuts are flat against the inside of the spacer and flush to the spacer face.
Tried Kroil,
remounting the wheel with the spacer nuts removed and then pushing, and pulling,
beating on it with a dead blow hammer and
swearing at it (most effective).
Looks like it is bonded/corroded/galvanized itself to the LR hub. I don't have a torch and would probably burn the house down anyway.
Does anyone have a way to remove these POS.
It worries me that I could break something in the field and have to deal with these issues in less than ideal conditions, since I'm not having a SBOL in a garage.
Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm not quite understanding what the 2" spacer is referring to - on the rears the axle shafts will come out with the drive flanges and you don't have to disassemble any further.

Is you problem on the fronts as you're trying to get it apart enough to get the CV's out? A pic would help a lot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Jim.....

I went back out to take a picture of it and as I was looking at it I realized I had a large 3 point gear puller that would work. I had to really crank it down before it finally broke loose - but it finally did.
Looking at the spacer it appears that the center hole tightness to the axle flange/nuts and a corrosion bonding between the spacer and the hub was the problem.
So the next questions:
1. what should I smear on the back of the spacer where it meets the face of the hub to prevent corrosion and make it easier to remove - lithium grease?
2. any reason I couldn't have a bit shaved off the spacer center hole so I can get a socket on the axle flange bolts next time? Probably remove a 1/4 of an inch from the internal diameter.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Cut a sheet of gasket material and put that between and you will not have the issue again. The paper-like stuff not the cork.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

although not specifically the reason i did it, but it is a good reason, i used cap head socket bolts instead of the standard axle flange bolts.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Thanks for the paper gasket idea and the hex head bolts. I'll use both of them when I re-install the spacers
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I just paint some anti-seize on the offending areas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, vin