Removing Rear Step Bumper - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

Removing Rear Step Bumper

I was wonderng if there are any tips/ special tool needed to remove the rear bumper. The reason for doing this is to clean out some rust on the rear cross member. Most of it seems to be straight forward enough...but looking at the bolts behind the bumper tube (on the corners) seem to be the real challenge. Is this a job for a simple box end wrench? or do i need to get creative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Spray the nuts with lot's of PB Blaster the day before. Also, support the bumper. It's heavier than you think.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

It's all just "righty tighty-lefty loosey" unless the bolts break because of corrosion. That's why the PB Blaster is important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2005, 02:30 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

It's all very straight forward; however, 4 bolts on the bottom of the bumper hold the gas tank skid in place too. You won't drop your tank by removing them, but you do not want to break those bolts! Spray them, spray them again and again. Loosen them, spray, then tighten them back, then loosen more than you had before, spray again, tighten... you see where I'm going with this. If the bolts get hot from the friction of forcing them loose... stop! You will break a bolt if you continue, I'm speaking from experience.
The bolts going into the bumper tube are no big deal from what I remember, I used either a box wrench and/or a ratchet for the whole job.
Good luck and don't break any bolts!
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Listen to Davids advice on getting those bolts out. Its exactly what I had to do and I still got one turn too much excited and broke one. Dont rush those boys.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Also you have to pull it away because they mount through tubes. You can wedge it out from behind the tire carrier but it is not recommended.

Ron
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
It's all very straight forward; however, 4 bolts on the bottom of the bumper hold the gas tank skid in place too. You won't drop your tank by removing them, but you do not want to break those bolts! Spray them, spray them again and again. Loosen them, spray, then tighten them back, then loosen more than you had before, spray again, tighten... you see where I'm going with this. If the bolts get hot from the friction of forcing them loose... stop! You will break a bolt if you continue, I'm speaking from experience.
The bolts going into the bumper tube are no big deal from what I remember, I used either a box wrench and/or a ratchet for the whole job.
Good luck and don't break any bolts!
I accidentally broke all 4 of those bolts, what do I do now?
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybahr
I accidentally broke all 4 of those bolts, what do I do now?
Drill and tap them, or just drill out completely and put a nut on the inside. Sucks to be you

hth
charles
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yep, its the drill. I only broke one of them, but it still sux. You have a good drill?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 19th, 2008, 10:10 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

If you're not putting the step bumper back on, is there any reason to put the bolts back in there? From what I can see they don't look structural or anything.
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Yep, its the drill. I only broke one of them, but it still sux. You have a good drill?
I had to drill all 4 bolts. Now, what do I do??????? I have really managed to screw this whole thing up!!! PLEASE HELP

Thanks,
Kenny
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Kenny, what's wrong?

Do you have the bumper off yet?

Are you trying to fix the holes (drill and retap)?

Do you have all the bolts out but it still won't come off?

Don't forget there are 2 tubes that insert into the crossmember where the step angles up on each side. IIRC, there are 1 or 2 bolts at each outer corner, 1 on each side of the gas tank, 4 up into the bottom of the crossmember, and 2 threading into the tubes that stick into the rear crossmember.

Old July 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Jim, I have the bumper off. However, I snapped the four bolts on the bottom of the crossmember. I have spent the last 6 hrs drilling the bolts out. So now I have four hollow holes. I will need to retap, however I'm not sure what size I will need. I had to drill the hell out of these bolts, and now the hole is quite a bit bigger than it was before. Thanks for the quick reply Jim

Kenny
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

You needed these:
http://www.4grabit.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Saved me on several screw ups!

Good Luck.

Dendy
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:50 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
look at the biggest drill size you used and compare that to a drill/tap size chart to pick a tap that will put the appropriate size threads in the existing hole. get some bolts and antiseize lube and youre good to go. lots of metal back there so a size or two bigger shouldn;t make much of a difference. Might even make them less prone to snapping off 10 yrs down the line when you need them out again.
here's a decent chart.. http://www.korit.com/tapndrill.htm

~Steve
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Does anyone know the size of the 4 bolts that go into the bottom of the rear crossmember? I managed to drill the old bolts out this weekend....(about 12 hours total) I am going to retap the holes this week. How hard is that job going to be? I've never done anything like this before. Since I snapped the heads on all 4 bolts, I don't have a bolt to reference. I also think I'm going to have to use wider bolts too. I was looking at ECR website, and saw that they just use a few coats of epoxy primer on the rear crossmember, which looks absolutely amazing. I'm also looking into getting all of the rear components....rear light bar, rear bumper, and the tire carrier and it's components powdercoated. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on powdercoating? My main concern is the rear bumper, I have no idea how much it costs, I've never had anything powdercoated before. Thank you everyone for your help and input.

Kenny
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Kenny, see Steve's post above. At this point it doesn't matter what the stock size is. You need to get a tap for the size hole you have made now. Make the holes clean and round if they are not, and then get a tap for that size bit (making sure you can source bolts in that size/pitch). All you need is some cutting oil and a little patience and you can have new threads in those.

Pricing for powder coating will vary by area, and be affected by the prep time if you don't prep them yourself. Around here it would likely cost $200+ to get those powdercoated.

hth
charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, rear step bumper, vin