Removing Gear Shift on 97 D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Haston
Christopher Petite
97 D90 SW

Removing Gear Shift on 97 D90

I'm totally stumped on how to remove the t-handle from the auto trans. I have removed the handle cover, the plastic interlock thumb pin, the circlip, the 3/4" nut-- but that's as far as I have gotten and cannot see how to remove the handle from here. Any tips?

Follow-up Post:

Went back for a second search using different terms and found a post by Komos, who had run into the same trouble. It appears that he arrived at the same spot as me, but his shifter handle pulled free. Mine doesn't. I feel dumb.

Follow-up Post:

You would not believe how hard I had to pull up to remove the shifter-- but it eventually came free. Hope I didn't waste anyone's time with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2009, 02:14 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Please post some details, as I will need to do this soon, to clean up some wiring in both my trucks.

Old March 29th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Haston
Christopher Petite
97 D90 SW

In short: Use small screwdriver to pop the top off the shifter handle. Release flat clip to be able to slide thumb lever free (this portion of the disassembly is hard to describe, but you should see how the mechanism works one you see it). When releasing thumb lever, watch for the spring recessed in the opoosite, right hand portion of the "t". Use 3/4" socket to unscrew locking ring on shift stalk. Pull up on handle assembly to lift off the shifter stalk (thisis where I had to use a lot more force that I would have thought was necessary). Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, 97 d90, d90, vin