Removing front fenders ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Removing front fenders ?

Anyone have a nice how to write up?

I need to get this thing torn down to get the used frame to JimC and so I can start by swamping everything over to the new bulkhead.
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
1) Take off grill surround
2) remove the fender flare by pushing through all the centers of the plastic rivets.
3) use an extension to take out the 4 or 5 panel bolts that connect the rear flange of the fender to the bulkhead, one more is at the top of the fender on an "ear" connecting to the bulkhead.
4) remove the bolts at the rear of the fender liner, the long one at the front that goes through the chassis (easier with the rad out) and any stuff attached to inner fender (charcoal cannister, overflow bottle, washer bottle etc)
5) take off inner and outer fender as one piece (air intake plenum just pops off)

Did I forget anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Crazy Fish
Sean

Registry
0) Get beer
1A) Drink Beer
3A) Drink Beer
5A) Relax, drink beer
Finish wing, finish rest of beer, call friends telling them how easy it was
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
6) Move to the other side of the truck
6A, 8A, 10A as appropriate

Old October 21st, 2008, 12:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ok ok ok. So I was trying to get the outer and inner fender off seperately. Forgive me, I am a series guy.
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:03 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, thats the deal. I could never get to all the fasteners to separate the inner and outer with the assembly on the truck. I'm not sure its possible.

Old October 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I saw some polynesian chick on the internet that may be able to do that.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I use a more limited tool set.

Old October 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
below the 4 bolts holding the fender to the bulkhead is a bolt that is verticle and holds the bottom of the fender to the bulkhead outrigger. Make sure you don't miss that one on each side.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Are you talking about the small bolt that connects the stabilizer to the foot well? I forgot about that one.

Old October 21st, 2008, 10:34 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Yeah, thats the deal. I could never get to all the fasteners to separate the inner and outer with the assembly on the truck. I'm not sure its possible.
That is easy on the LH fender, not on the RH one though (RH one is doable on a 90, but not on an NAS 110 due to the HVAC system) Imaged attached on 90 with fender on but skin off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07361.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	15834  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thats why you get paid the big bucks. I cringe when I see the mags where they just cut the outer fender off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin