Removing fender dents - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Removing fender dents

I have dents in each outer fender that I have been trying to get removed. The paintless dent folks so far won't touch them. One I can understand, the other doesn't seem that hard to fix. I've been to one auto body shop and it was pricey- even if I did the remove/replace.

The one from the right fender is hard to see, it's bent but there is no crease or paint damage. I really just want my flare to fit correctly on this fender. The left fender paint is damaged.

Any ideas on removing either of these? My initial thoughts are to remove the right outer fender and beat it from behind with a rubber mallet. Or to pull on it with the fender attached to the truck. I'm not expecting perfect results, just some improvement.

Thanks,
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCO_020710_592.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	25676   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCO_020710_589.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	25677  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
The paintless dent folks so far won't touch them.
Why is that? ...because it is aluminum?
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
I believe so, they just say they can't get them out.

he round one with the paint damage I can see would be hard to get out but it's not like they are going to ruin the paint. The bend in the right fender I would think they could do. Especially since the flare is off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Call your dealer and find out who they use... It can be done, it just takes time.

I would go to harbor freight and pick up their body hammer kid for $25.00 and take the outer fender off and work on it yourself.

Old March 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
Garth is correct, it only stretches and will never get back to original shape like regular sheetmetal.
You can however get it close, but then fill it with body filler.
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Alexandra - call Larry or Lisa at Arapahoe Collision & Mechanical. They've pulled dents on two of my Defenders, and several others that I know of. Mark
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:35 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
they will compound out.....
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Buy two new fender skins for $120 each and have them painted. Or, take the skins off and take them to a body shop.

The skin metal is very soft. You might even try picking up a cheap hammer and dolly set from Harbor Freight and massage the dents out. It's not that hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
When front outers get dented, I just replace them... Like Jonathan said. Its cheaper
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I just paint over the dent.
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I just leave the dents My daughter added a new one this weekend - if I had been anal and fixed the others I'd be pissed. Instead I smile
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Actually, if anyone could find the pics of Trevor's yellow 109 ( the rear right tub was pushed almost 10" as well as the rear corner panel) and this is how it looked after it was corrected and repainted.

All done with Heat and old fashion body work, it did not crack, and was streched back to perfect smooth finish
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tubfixed.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	25685  
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I would agree. Just leave it. Unless you are the type to armor-all the tires, then just replace the skins.

-Jeff
Not the tires, just the dash and Armor All is gross, have a much better dressing for my truck

Thanks for the ideas. I am leaning towards getting the right one out myself and getting a new left outer skin and having it painted. Should be easy enough.
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:17 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

There's a place in Louisville called SVC- or SBC. They apparently are very good at aluminum repairs and do a lot of work for Land Rover Flatirons.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:42 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

You can also get the outer wings in GRP now which is a lot more dent resistant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The place in louisville is SVC--they do great work. I would always recommend them. When I built my 90, I (like a lot of you) wanted to do everything myself so I learned body work in general and then aluminum body work. Big dents, small dents, you name it, my used panels had them. You can definitely work body panels--similar techniques as steel in that you can use a hammer and anvil, but different techniques in how the aluminum reacts. Unlike steel, you don't "pop" dents out the same, oil canning is different, when working steel you can ease and relax it and even shrink it and that just doesn't work with aluminum. You can absolutely hammer aluminum, but you do it softer as anytime you hit it, you thin it so there is no "shrinking" dents per se, but you can relax them close to shape. I even removed a few. I cracked one spare piece to see how to crack it, but other than that, I never cracked a panel. My usual technique was to slowly work it back into close shape and then use aluminum filler (All metal) to smooth it the heck out and then prime/paint. I tried heat/dry ice and that works for some particular situations but very few and it is more of an art. Large sections of panel, like your door panel, don't try and be a hero---trust me that those are the worst. You try and work them but every thing you do makes them thinner--hence more material and they end up doing the push-in one way, pop-out the other thing--very frustrating. Good luck correcting that one, Einstein. Don't overwork aluminum. It does not like high heat. It does not forgive being hammered hard--at all. It can be filled--if you are close, fill it and sand it down. All you dentless guys--yes, you can remove them, but not with a hammer--more like a heavy palm of your hand on the inside and your other hand on the outside (can be anvils too) and relax it with human power--works MUCH better. My best repairs have still been with my knuckles in leather gloves. Couple panels attached. If you have particular questions, just PM me. The front dent is a gonner--push it out close, fill , move on. Personally, I would leave it and paint it something really cool with an air-brush.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prep and paint 001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	25687   Click image for larger version

Name:	new paint2 001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	25688  

Old March 12th, 2010, 04:25 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Alex- just an fyi- buy the blanks and cut the holes for the cage. NAS outers = $350+/- and blank $120... I would buy a spare set, leave these as they are til it drives you nuts, then replace them both after they are really beat up. Don't think the dents won't happen any more, 'cause they are aluminum after all.

Old March 12th, 2010, 08:01 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

There are more varieties but $90+shipping gets you something that will bounce back a bit if hit.

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFE...ir_intake.html

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:26 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Alex- just an fyi- buy the blanks and cut the holes for the cage. NAS outers = $350+/- and blank $120... I would buy a spare set, leave these as they are til it drives you nuts, then replace them both after they are really beat up. Don't think the dents won't happen any more, 'cause they are aluminum after all.
At the nuts point. I just did the seat trims and have been cleaning the paint for literally 2 months. I think I have it as clean and shiny as I can for a D90 that has been out of the garage. It's really starting to look good again. Just waiting on the new rear bench trim and to repair some holes in the dash front switches the PO installed. Finish the SS hardware, install the AC (2 years later) and I should be able to leave it alone! HA- I doubt that.

These and the corner piece are the last of the exterior. Bumper, tire carrier and light bar should be back from PC next week. When I looked at RN they showed the NAS D90 for $129 + shipping- I guess that is the blank. I would assume the paint shop would be able to cut the cage holes based on the old panel correct? I'm not too great at cutting holes, boards, things that involved a saw tend to be measure 5 times and cut 10 times. I haven't taken the fender off, just the flare so I wasn't sure if it was one big hole for the cage or 4 smaller holes just for the bolts.

Alex

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin