Removing driver's window runner / guide / channel removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 27th, 2011, 03:00 PM
ikavo
ian
1995 D90 Wagon

Removing driver's window runner / guide / channel removal

Folks,

Anyone know how to get the channel out? I have a 95 D90 with the little tab broken - the one that keeps the glass from being sucked out of the guide when you roll up the window.

It installs behind the runner/channel that holds the glass, so that has to be removed. It appears to be made of metal, and it is attached in some very solid way - it doesn't appear to snap in. Looking at the front edge of the door, which has no idication of rivits, bolts, or anything else, leaves my pretty mystified on how to get it out.

Any help would be appreciated!

Karsten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2011, 03:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The clip has a c-shaped bit of metal that holds it behind the felt channel. There are several small phillips head screws embedded in the felt which holds the channel in. You really need an awl or a nail to find the screws, then you can take them out. It takes a lot of finesse to get the channel out without bending it severely. Plus the front and real channels run all the way down inside the door. This fix will require removing the door guts and glass. Sorry it's PITA, but it gets easier the more you do it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM
ikavo
ian
1995 D90 Wagon

Thanks Jim. Bad news that it is a pita, but hey, to do the job right, it usually is .

When you mention the awl, is that to score the rubber that is between the two felt 'walls' that hold the window, so that you can figure out where the screws under it are?

And yes, I learned the hard way how easy that thing is to bend. When I tested to see if it was clipped in, I may, well, have tried to gorilla it out by force....not a good idea, as I learned the hard way.

Thanks again,

Ikavo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2011, 03:21 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The awl is just to probe for the embedded screw heads. LR seems to insert them randomly, so you can't got to two different doors and find the screws in the same places. I've got a thread somewhere here on rebuilding doors (I think it was started by tomaco1) - do a search for re-keying doors.

Old October 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM
ikavo
ian
1995 D90 Wagon

Folks, sorry for asking a potentially dumb question again, but are the screw heads in between the felts that hold the glass (clearly only found with the glass out of the way)? I've probed around with the awl, but haven't actually found any screws....

Thanks!

Ikavo
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
There are 3 screws on the top . 3 in the front ( one located on the slope of the window frame ) and 3 in the back

Imagine a 8 1/2 x 11 3 hole piece of paper, use that pattern to find them, while Jim is right about odd location, that is the pattern, with the exception of the front channel there is 1 close to top edge, 1 close to the lower edge before the slope and 1 on the slope.

Doug and I spent a nice amount of time refitting these suckers on Shrek
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:17 PM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
The retaining clip has a tab that locks it in place behind the felt channel, no rivets, no screws. Look for an image of part number MWC4371 on the web and youll figure it out. Before that, was 2 parts being MWC4371 the retainig clip and MWC4370 the plastic button for window guidance. Now its all one part# CUC100140, wich by the way doesnt look as nice (in terms of finish and manufacture) as the part it supercedes.

Both of them are missing on my recently bought white 110 also, so is good to know where those screws are. I ordered them allready so when they come Ill take some pictures of the job.

Cheers,
04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old December 20th, 2015, 07:32 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
(&#@!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The clip has a c-shaped bit of metal that holds it behind the felt channel. There are several small phillips head screws embedded in the felt which holds the channel in. You really need an awl or a nail to find the screws, then you can take them out. It takes a lot of finesse to get the channel out without bending it severely. Plus the front and real channels run all the way down inside the door. This fix will require removing the door guts and glass. Sorry it's PITA, but it gets easier the more you do it...

I am going to replace both the channel and the shim....and the little thingy....I'm not worried about bending it on the way out, only on the way in...

I'd like the Board to notice I've been using "search"

Does anyone have a step-by-step recollection of this? I have the front/top channel and the plastic spacer is on its way but I sure would rather not remove a window..

Any help!??

Much thanks!!

KCD

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old December 26th, 2015, 11:28 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
bump for Christmas DYI!!

bumpity bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
I am going to replace both the channel and the spacer....and the little thingy....I'm not worried about bending it on the way out, only on the way in...

I'd like the Board to notice I've been using "search"

Does anyone have a step-by-step recollection of this? I have the front/top channel and the plastic spacer is on its way but I sure would rather not remove a window..

Any help!??

Much thanks!!

KCD

Old December 27th, 2015, 02:20 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Ta da!!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2133019985.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	475.7 KB
ID:	138004

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
channel, vin, window