removed my cats today(running rich?) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2006, 12:49 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

removed my cats today(running rich?)

so the other day i drive the 90 around the block about 15 min. first off when i started the truck before i left there was a ticking noise come from under the truck. so i crawled under to check it out and it was coming from the catalytic converter under the driverside. so i drove it around for about 15 min. got back home and left it running - no more ticking after warmed up (so i was pretty sure it was the cat)then i look under the truck and the drivers side pipe around the cat is GLOWING cherry red. so today i take it the muffler shop and he tells me i have a fuel delivery problem and its burning up the inside of my cat(so what a great excuse to get rid of them) anyway i am looking for what could cause this-my guess is bad o2 sensor? but shouldn't that give me an orange check engine light?i removed the o2 sensors to look at them tonight and the driver side was covered in a black soot the pass. side had very little black just around the top.cleaned them off and put o2s back in.also i had the fuel injectors refurbed, cleaned and flow tested (a while ago in the process of the rebuild)so i dont think its the injectors. also (i dont know if this anything to do with anything)but i reset the red service engine light last week and it came on again the other day and then tonight after i looked at the o2 sensors and started it-no red service engine light??????any thoughts anyone?????/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If you are running overly rich, it will as you mentioned, cause a black sooty covering on the outside of the sensor. If it's caked up enough, it may also cause the engine to run even richer by causing a mis-reading in the sensor itself. The heating element in the sensor might have gone bad, and because of their location they need it to function properly. From your description, the ticking noise was probably coming from the cat too as it was expanding due to the extra heat it was generating.

I'd check the sensor again in about a week, and if it's dirty again I'd try replacing it. Either that, or swap the sensors left and right and see if the problem follows the sensor or stays on the same side. If you are going to replace the cats, I'd wait until after the fuel problem is solved. That way you don't burn up another one.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Doesn't the water temp sensor cause more swing in fuel richness than the o2 sensor? If I recall, this sensor can go out, causing the engine to run extremely rich, all the while no "check engine" light appears.
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2006, 05:18 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

hans-i was going to swap the sensors (left and right)but i did not think of that one until after the cats where removed-so i dont have to worry about replacing another.now the cats are gone will i still get the black sooty stuff? robert-water temp sensor is new
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, the black sooty stuff on the O2 sensors isn't from the cats, it's from unburned fuel coming out of the engine. It's more of a symptom of the extra-rich condition of the engine, but can also mess up the fuel mixture if too much gets caked onto the sensors.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions