Removed Gas Tank, Now What? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2007, 02:05 PM
redrockrover
Russell Phillips
1994 Defender 90

Removed Gas Tank, Now What?

I am glad to say that I have removed my rear bumper, gas tank skid plate and gas tank. It would not have been a very difficult task except that every bolt was seized with rust. The skid plate was also very rusty and almost rusted through in several places. I guess that is what you get when a 94 D-90 spends it whole life in Salt Lake City, UT. Utah uses lots of salt on the roads in the winter time. I am very good friends with my drill and right angle adaptor and dremel tool. Some of the bolts were very hard to access and broke off inside the bumper.

I have not had the D-90 up and running for a while and it had about half a tank of gas when I last drove it. That half tank can really add up to extra weight especially when attempting to do this project alone. Needless to say I broke what I think are the vent ports. I have attached pictures of the gas tank removed with the two ports (I think they are vent ports). Can anyone elaborate on what these are and how to replace them?

I am going to fix the rust on the bumper, the rear cross member, the frame, and replace the skid plate. While I am in there with the tank removed what should I do for preventative maintenance? I have not had any problems with the fuel pump, but I do not have to have the experience of removing everything to get at it again. Should I replace it while the tank is out? When I put everything back together I will use lots of ant-seize so the bolts will not rust as bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT435003.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	8189   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT434837.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	8190  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT434834.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	8191  

'94 AA Yellow
# 891
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Russ,
those pieces just pop out of the tank. The bad news is that you will have to take the pump assembly out to get your hand in the tank to apply pressure from the inside. They take some force, but should just pop out.

While your in there, clean all of the electric terminals with some contact cleaner.
Old February 10th, 2007, 04:45 PM
mhill
Mike Hill
95 D90 ST / 91 RRC Hunter

Cutting an access panel for the pump now will make replacing it down the road much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM
redrockrover
Russell Phillips
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billakris
Russ,
those pieces just pop out of the tank. The bad news is that you will have to take the pump assembly out to get your hand in the tank to apply pressure from the inside. They take some force, but should just pop out.

While your in there, clean all of the electric terminals with some contact cleaner.
Sounds good I will clean all of the electric terminals while the tank is out. I was able to pop the one on the left out as you can see the gas spill marks on the tank. I actually broke the left one and need to replace it. Do you know if these are vent ports or what is their purpose? How do you access the pump assembly? I see the red ring and it looks like you can unscrew it.

Thanks againg Kris

'94 AA Yellow
# 891
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Those are vapor vents as far as I know. I dont know the actual term for them, sorry.

Unscrew the red ring, and the assembly should pop out fairly easily. It may take a little bit of a tug, but it isnt connected to the tank.
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:57 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

How many miles do you have on your D. Seems like a lot of fuel pumps go at around 100K. They cost around $300.

If you wheel close to home with friends, no big deal. If you wheel in remote areas alone it might be a good idea to replace the pump.
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:29 PM
redrockrover
Russell Phillips
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
How many miles do you have on your D. Seems like a lot of fuel pumps go at around 100K. They cost around $300.

If you wheel close to home with friends, no big deal. If you wheel in remote areas alone it might be a good idea to replace the pump.
I have close to 100k. There have been no issues wtih my fuel pump so I think I will leave it in and hope it does not go out anytime soon. I always wheel with a group so if it does go out I can get a lift home.

Russ

Follow-up Post:

[QUOTE=redrockrover]I have close to 100k. There have been no issues wtih my fuel pump so I think I will leave it in and hope it does not go out anytime soon. I always wheel with a group so if it does go out I can get a lift home.

Just an update. I ordered the vapor vents from Rovers Down South. Great price and had the parts in-stock and will ship out tomorrow. He also has a special on fuel pumps for the defender $200.00. Great price.

Russ

'94 AA Yellow
# 891

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, gas tank