Remove Wiper System - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 5th, 2016, 01:40 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Remove Wiper System

Need to take the wiper motor and drive and arms all off the bulkhead. Where to start? Can't find this in any of the workshop manuals I have.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I think I saw it somewhere here...
LandroverworkshopDVD | Defender Bulkhead Repair Fitting |

Dude has viddys on youtube if you can understand his British...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 5th, 2016, 02:02 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Some of it is there, may be more, but I'm scrolling through all those vids! Thanks.

1965 IIa SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I saw this somewhere a few weeks ago-- I need to do this too!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 5th, 2016, 02:29 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
EDIT: just need to know how to get wheel boxes and cable detached, looks like I just want to keep motor with cable.

1965 IIa SWB
Old January 5th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Need to take the wiper motor and drive and arms all off the bulkhead. Where to start? Can't find this in any of the workshop manuals I have.
Remove wiper arms first!

Instructions in order below, call if you get hung up on anything.

Instrument cowl off, upper dash off, lower left cover (wiper motor cover) off, wiper motor unplugged, remove wiper motor strap (note orientation of nut-plate so that it clears the support ridge hidden in the bulkhead), unscrew wiper motor from cable tube and withdraw the cable and motor (use gloves and a plastic bag to get hold of the greased cable), remove the two small nuts from the back of the wiper arm wheel boxes and remove the connecting tubes and end tube, remove the wiper ferrules, remove the rubber covers, unbolt the wiper wheel boxes from the front (13mm i think) and draw the wheel boxes into the truck to remove.

Installation is the reverse of the above unless you are converting to TD5/TDCI type arms.

Have fun!
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:02 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Can't get wiper motor and cable undone unless I pull wiper motor apart.

The wiper arms come off the splined nut at end, so I'm not sure why I would even need the small hex bolt to hold that splined nut on the end. Either way, I have four different types of hex wrenches, but not one of them fits that hex bolt. It seems to be 2.25. I have 2.5 and 2.....

I can't figure how to get cable out of wheel boxes, even with the back plate unbolted, the front plate is shaped in such a way as to hold the cable in place -- does it draw out from end?

1965 IIa SWB
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Like Brian, I typically pull the drive cable with the motor together and reinstall the same way. Take the wiper arms off so there is no resistance and pull the motor/cable through. The wheel boxes will spin as the cable pulls through so be slow and methodical. Removing the tube and wheel boxes is pretty easy as long as the splined hub comes off the wiper shaft.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 5th, 2016, 03:18 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Since I'm an idiot, and don't know the names of anything that I'm talking about, I'll use pictures so you can help me.

First one shows the wiper arm shaft. I cannot remove the splined mount nut whatever thing the wiper arm actually slides onto. It is lose, even spins freely, but won't come off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	138577  

1965 IIa SWB
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its just a force fit. I have had to cut them off before due to rust but the shaft it fits on simply has a flat side and the set screw is meant to lock it to that flat so it locks to the shaft. If you have the splined collar spinning on that shaft the sucker should pull off.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 5th, 2016, 03:33 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
That's why I don't understand why these are doing this. I figured it was either a groove, or a flat side.

Why do I need to take the back of the wheel boxes off? All the manuals say to do this, but even if I do, I can't get the cable off. It looks as if you have to draw the cable all the way through, but I'm not able to get it to budge, don't want to put too much force on it.

1965 IIa SWB
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yes the cable draws through. I don't remove the back of the wheel box's, as you say kind of pointless.

Have you removed the clamp on the curved part of the tube where the wiper motor clamps to the guide tube ?

It sounds like your wheel box's may be locked up with rust or were they working before you started teardown ?

Getting the cable out is independent of getting the splined hub off of the wheel box shaft.

FWIW wheel box's are sub $50 and sometimes a cutoff wheel makes more sense than spending hours wrestling a worn out one.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...l%20box&page=1

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 5th, 2016, 04:06 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yeah, thanks. I'll see if my other set can be removed, order new if I need to.

Wish simple jobs like this didn't waste so much of my time. People always ask why I can't get my Rovers up and running.... this is why.

1965 IIa SWB
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Since I'm an idiot, and don't know the names of anything that I'm talking about, I'll use pictures so you can help me.

First one shows the wiper arm shaft. I cannot remove the splined mount nut whatever thing the wiper arm actually slides onto. It is lose, even spins freely, but won't come off.
Get out the torch (carefully) and some penetrant - make a small screw puller if needed - but Doug is correct that the process is sometimes much easier if you order new parts and resign yourself to cutting them off to save time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions