remove flex fan - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2005, 09:13 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

remove flex fan

I'm trying to remove my flex fan for an electric fan install. Problem is I cant get the *&% thing off. So far I've removed the radiator (and a whole bunch of other stuff to get to it) to get better access. I've busted the fanbelt in trying to use that to hold the pulley as I try to undo the nut. I need a method of holding the pulley/waterpump while I loosen the nut (reverse thread, I think I have that right). I dont have a whole lot in the way of tools though. Once done with this, I'll be able to get going again.
Right now I'm at a loss as to how to proceed to get it off. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I use a bike wrench 32 mm as it is thin & give it a sharp rap with a dead blow hammer.
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:35 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

a sharp rap with a hammer and screwdriver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2005, 10:38 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
a sharp rap with a hammer and screwdriver
Tried that. Didnt work. Course I cant find my BFS so I had to resort to a standard (not big) screwdriver.
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

You know, I can't remember if it's the V-belts or the serpentines..... (funny, since I did the same thing myself) but one of them is reversed threads. I know I was bashing mine all afternoon before I realized that.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey I know someone local to you who has some tools and a Rover that runs, maybe he can swing by and give ya a hand?
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:35 PM
javelinadave
-
-

94 should be a reverse threaded V-belt from what I remember.
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:28 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Hey I know someone local to you who has some tools and a Rover that runs, maybe he can swing by and give ya a hand?
Yah, I think I'm ready.

Its a '94 - v-belt. The 4.0 in the '97s introduced the serpentine belts.
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM
johnlee
John Lee

Scott,

I don't know if you want to take your tool kit this far, but this is what we use at the shop:

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=751

You attach the appropriate sized wrench to your fan clutch, then attach the rod to the wrench, and then attach the rod your pneumatic hammer. The smallest burst will shock loose the nut and your fan clutch will come off very easily. This arrangement is expensive and complicated, but it works beautifully as the impacts from the pneumatic hammer will easily shock loose the fan clutch nut without having to hold the fan clutch stationary.

Another method is to use the appropriate sized wrench and then hit it with a hammer to try to shock loose the fan clutch nut.

My 97 has a 36mm nut. I'm not sure if the 94's and 95's are different. I don't think they are though.
Old October 13th, 2005, 10:28 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Thanks for the above sets of suggestions. I got some help with some better tools and we managed to shock it enough to come off. And for the record - yes - its reverse thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan, flex