Remove ECU on 94 D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 12th, 2007, 05:50 PM
RBees
Robert Bees
1994 D90 #8

Remove ECU on 94 D90

I'm having a problem starting my D90 which abruptly died today. I'm pretty certain that the issue is mositure related since we have had some pretty heavy rain in the past few days, and that the ECU may be involved due to the clicking that comes from that area when turning the truck over. I'd like to pull the ECU to see if it's wet and dry it, and also to check the fuel pump relays etc. Mine is an early '94 with AC, and the AC blower unit is mounted directly in front of the ECU which is bolted to a bracket on the bulkhead.

Does anyone have any helpful hints on how to remove the AC components and get the ECU out ?

Thanks,

Robert Bees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Can't help you on removal, but the same thing happend to me a few years ago. Heavy rain storm in SC, full top on and windows closed and the ECU got wet somehow (vents were closed too). It required a new ECU which was around $1600 if I remember. Can't complain though, that's the only time in 13 years the old girl has failed me I am sure someone here can help you get it out. Good luck Robert.
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
RBees
Robert Bees
1994 D90 #8

ECU Removed

As a followup in case others have the same problem, it's really not that hard once I got into it. You have to remove the two nuts below the blower that hold the assembly to the bulkhead (the left hand one is behind the mat that goes over the tunnel). Then pop off the little black hole covers on the lower airvent assembly and remove all of the screws that hold it in place. Once that is off it exposes the top of the AC radiator assembly, and there are 3 more bolts that sceure this to the dash. After all of these are off, you can pull the whole AC assembly forward (it's still attached by the refrigerant hoses) and get to both the ECU and the fuel pump relay.

It turns out that my ECU was indeed waterlogged. It didn't help that someone had previously reassembled it and kinked the rubber gasket, leaving a clear path where water could (and did) get in.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that once it has dried out it will work and the truck will start...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, ecu