Remote water pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 31st, 2008, 10:33 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Remote water pump

Anyone use a remote electric water pump? I am considering it and would like to hear opinions from people who have first hand experience. Pros, cons? I am replacing my fan with a dual electric fan and adding a electric water pump seems like it could add some extra HP along with the HP gain from the electric fans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2009, 01:58 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

This is something used on some racing circuits and even there it is sometimes difficult to implement, ie used for short periods of time. Can't be used for "highway use".

Problem: mechanical pumps are far more powerful at driving GPM than electric pumps

Very likely you would run into cooling problems as you would not be able to drive the amount of GPM your engine needs.....especially with load, ie off-roading or highway.

Also, the HP gains would be relatively minimal, 4-8 at best likely. Also, account for the fact your alternator will have increased load which also loads the engine (decreased HP) and the longevity of the alternator.

You could also consider and "underdrive", ie smaller pulley (March makes these). This would drive the impeller less which means less work for the engine which means some extra horses. Again, problem is it may not supply the engine with enough cooling.

I like the idea of loosing the cooling fan and replacing with electric fan much better.
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Thanks for the info. I was under the assumption that since Summit had a number of pumps for different makes of cars it could be used on the road. My water pump is working just fine so I'll hang on to it.

My truck had cooling issues until I found my expansion tank cap gasket was rotten and leaking. Replaced it and no cooling problems. I got a good deal on dual fans so I am giving it a shot to see what happens. I'll keep my old fan in the truck for a while just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

It's not that it can't be done it's just that it has it's limitations (and strengths).

I like the idea of being able to swap it out very easily when it goes bad. But the mechanical pump is pretty durable. Electric pump would last about 3,000 to 4,000 hours depending on manufacturer.

To take full benefit of the electric pump you have to render the water pump useless, ie bypass the pulley with a different belt or remove the impeller inside the pump. If you don't bypass the pulley the pulley is still something that can wear out and still loads the engine albeit less than with the impeller in place.

I'm curious is anyone knows what the flow rate is on the OEM mechanical pump?? How about for the 2.8HS??
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

You sure those Summit pumps aren't for water-cooled intercoolers?

About all you can do to improve a water pump is the impeller design - not a simple task unless you're a machinist - and a larger and lighter pulley - possible for non-serpentine setups.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
This is the type of pump I was refering to. 55gpm with a 10,000 hour life span. A little too pricey though.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Does anyone know what the mechnical water pumps flow on the 3.9 V8 or the 2.8HS??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
remote, water, water pump