remote turbo? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

remote turbo?

While watching tv this morning, I saw a program where they installed a remote turbo on a car. It really looked interesting. The kit that was installed was made by Squires Turbo Systems. I'd never seen anything like that before and I thought it had some positive aspects to it if applied to my underpowered 3.9.

I hope to do some upgrades to my vehicle, including larger tires, and I don't think that changing my gearing alone is going to cut it.

If anyone has any experience with, or knowledge about, this type of turbo system I'd sure be interested to hear what you think.

Thanks,

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It's a good system. Upside is more room in the engine, cooler temperatures, and easier access to the turbo for mainenance. Downside is it is supposed to sit where your muffler is so I could see that being a problem. Also, longer toobs increase turbo lag.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey, Dave

Thanks for your input, you are one knowledgable guy! I see your posts all over this place and I learn from them.

After a little more research, and if I can source the components at a reasonable price, I think I'll give it a try.

What the hell, If we don't explore new territory now and then we don't learn much.

Thanks again,
Rod

p.s. I've been watching your thread, that thing's a Beast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thanks for the kind words!! I appreciate it. Please note that I have experience with turbos but my experience with "Remote Turbos" is limited to watching one episode of TNN TRUCKS.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

I poked around the site and noticed that the air filter/inlet for the turbo is under the vehicle. That's definitely a problem for any vehicle that ploughs through mud or high water. It does, however, present some interesting snorkel location opportunities. I've owned turbo charged sedans most of my life (and raced in them for the last 4 years). The things I fear the most are water in the intake and dust so thick it can clog the filter enough for the turbo vacuum to break the filter in half and allow sand to bypass it (rectangle filter, happened once at a rally cross event).
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:06 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Less heat in the engine compartment, but more heat on your backside?
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wow, it appears that we all saw the same thing. I saw it on I think "Two Guys Garage" and I definitely don't like the looks of the setup I saw being installed under a Camaro.

The idea of replacing one of the exhaust tips with an intake just screams "water injestion" to me, with the associated replacement of connecting rods, and engine blocks.

Plus, having a turbo and the associated intake plumbing running the full length of the truck would just be asking for damage somewhere, as does the 20 feet of oil lines that run to the turbo and back.

I can see it's uses for a track car, but definitely not anything that will be going off-pavement.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I checked out the web site and have to agree with the opinion of not for off road, but. That's assuming you do what they did. There is a lot of open space where my muffler sits on my 110, tucked in the frame about mid truck on the left hand side and it would be easey to protect that area. That area is also the cleanest on the chassis so I don't think it sees a lot of road cr*p. Running a snorkel wouldn't be too hard, just bring it down from the roof along the side or just inside the truck.

This isn't something I would probably do but it's cool that people are looking outside the box.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
remote