Remedial Tech- Headlight Change Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2006, 06:36 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Remedial Tech- Headlight Change Problem

Alright so I got a new set of e code hellas. The passenger side indicator wire harness dropped back behind the panel and is too short to grab out, will I damage anything by giving it a hard tug or is it going to pull something free? The thing is so damn short I can't get it out far enough to plug back in the indicator housing. Question 2, and the bigger one. The boss for the running light below the indicator holds on the surround. One of the screws won't come out, it turned but won't back out of the hole. I guess the hole is stripped or something? I need to get it out because that lamp has to be changed since it is out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Stupid problems for such a simple task.
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2006, 10:03 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have absolutely no idea... But, if you need a hand, I will help you install them.

Old January 24th, 2006, 10:21 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

IT's f'in ridiculous how much I love this truck but how poorly alot of things on it are executed. I spent the better part of an hour trying to get the screw out. The thing is I don't want to break the plinth/boss but the screw won't let go it just freely spins. Would it be a bad idea to just dremel the backside off. You can't even get a set of pliers or wrench back there.
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2006, 12:03 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Sometimes you can wedge a small screwdriver or blade of a knife between the plinth and what it is screwed in to. This will pull it away and put enough pressure on it so that while you unscrew the screw, it should back out.

Follow-up Post:

I used a magnet on a stick that I bought at pep boys to grab the wiring harness back out of that tiny hole. You could make the same thing with a wire hanger. Just bend a loop into one end and stick it in there until you get the wire wrapped around to loop and pull it out. It's funny, my passenger side is too short and your drivers side is too short. Go figure. they should have left an inch or two for ease of bulb changing. I guess that's why the dealers get paid the big bucks. I doubt it would hurt anything to give it a slight pull. You will probably have to replace the harness soon anyway, because right when you think it is all finished, you will find out that you have a new problem that you created while fixing the last problem.
That is how my Defender works anyway. It fights me all the way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht