Relocate 1984 fuel tank - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:50 PM
anfonee1
Jeffrey
1984 D90 RHD SW

Relocate 1984 fuel tank

Is it possible to move the fuel tank to the later position in a 1984 and the filler neck to the rear? Logic tells me it is but I have never seen anyone do this. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
No. But you can add an aftermarket rear tank or modify things to add a genuine rear tank if you want. Most people keep the side tank and then have double the capacity.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 30th, 2014, 11:21 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Well, it is possible. But its a ridiculous amount of work to make it look right. You would need to replace at least that tub side panel (major bodywork) or replace the whole tub with a TD5 tub. You also need to weld the necessary brackets on the frame.

So the most important question would be why? Don't be so vain about the location of your fuel filler. Your truck is a 1984. Accept it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2014, 06:54 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Embrace it, you mean
Old July 31st, 2014, 07:50 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Luurv it, perhaps.

I don't think it's too crazy to think about going to a rear tank. A side tank hangs low off the chassis, needs a complex skid for protection from rocks, and the tank itself is fairly difficult to find here in the states. The rear tank is cheaper here in the states, the skid is a much simpler design, and creates room under the seatbox for additional storage.

It has been done by some members of the forum, but does involve relocating the filler slot, either by replacing the whole side panel (as others have said) or by cutting and welding a new keyhole into the existing panel, then TIG welding a patch over the old keyhole.

Then again, it is just extra money spent.
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:57 PM
anfonee1
Jeffrey
1984 D90 RHD SW

I am going to be repainting the tub anyway so a new side panel or whole new tub isnt that big of a deal there are actually other reasons as well that I ran into with the build of my white truck like the tank blocks the from where side steps want to be attached.
Old July 31st, 2014, 03:01 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
if you are looking for howtos on the internet, look for people who have installed auxiliary fuel tanks in early ROW trucks.

They keep the side tank and add a rear tank, and a new filler keyhole for the rear of the tub.
Old July 31st, 2014, 03:40 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

If your looking for a tank I know where one is for sale. :-)

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=2439
Old July 31st, 2014, 07:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A nas tank will require a bunch of mods and be an expensive way to go. The only cheap route is a used TD5 tank and doing mods to fit. Otherwise go for a plug and play aftermarket tank or custom bud one.

Old July 31st, 2014, 10:52 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

It was my impression that the NAS tank and the td5 tank are very similar, not to mention trying to find a used td5 tank in the states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
A nas tank will require a bunch of mods and be an expensive way to go. The only cheap route is a used TD5 tank and doing mods to fit. Otherwise go for a plug and play aftermarket tank or custom bud one.
Old July 31st, 2014, 11:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You find it in the uk. $650 will get you a plug and play aftermarket one. There is no point hacking up your chassis unless it is to fit a cheap tank. There are also Jeep tanks that can be made to fit.

Old July 31st, 2014, 11:13 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Soooo I wasn't gonna chime in but I guess I will just for shits and giggles you guys aren't gonna like to hear what I am about to say but I don't really care bc it's practical and a cheap and easy way to install a rear tank for less then $250, with a little fab skill. So with that said I have done this a half dozen times now and I was working on one today, I'll take a couple pics tomorrow to show the work. We have used this application on both 3.9 autos along with diesels alike it really doesn't matter only difference is that we run an external fuel pump for the EFI v8's. So what you will need is a early CJ 5 fuel tank pre 77, a rover sending unit for a side saddle tank and a few other odds and ends. The CJ fuel tank fits between the rear frame rails as if it where designed to fit! I like to roll the side lip down to make it easier to install. The side saddle sending unit mounts right in the stock CJ mount, you will need to cut the down tube to fit the shallower depth of the CJ tank. There are several ways to mount but I typically just weld two tabs on the rear cross member and a J hook on the front. I also like to use the Stock CJ skid as well for a little reinforcement. As for the filler hose I just us a 90 elbow and mount the fuel filler inside the rear tub. NO CUTS of the body are required, you just simply reach inside the wheel well to fill the tank. You guys can say what you will but this is a simple cost effect easy install that you can do in a matter of a few hours.
Old July 31st, 2014, 11:16 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Thanks for the tip Brewie!

That CJ5 fuel tank sounds like the perfect way to get an extra 15 gallons of extended range into a ROW truck! I would it would be straightforward to tee the filler neck into the actual tub filler neck instead of drilling a hole into the wheel well.

Either way, thanks
Old July 31st, 2014, 11:20 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Take it a step further and install a polik valve to run two tanks it allows you to select the tank and the sending unit so your gauge will read which tank/unit it is pulling from. You can get a new CJ tank for $150 and a skid for $75 the rover sending unit is like $50 from rover farm and I use 1" 3/16 plate for my brackets(you will need about 8")
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:10 AM
3muckypuppies
Chris
Defender 90

Gidday Fellas,

This is my first post on this forum.

I'm running a 4.6 GEMS in a 90 that started out life as a 1989 diesel so it has the standard tank under the right hand (driver's seat here in NZ) seat. It was barely enough fuel to get between patrol stations let alone anywhere else. I have a RR in tank pump to feed the motor that required a wee bit of hole clearance to fit.

To get more fuel capacity I made up my own tank for the space under the rear body where the later tanks go. The bottom of the tank is 3mm steel and the rest 2mm, a couple of slosh baffles inside and a standard sender unit and in tank low pressure fuel pump for a TDi.

The filler on my truck is just behind the driver's door. I added a smaller steel tube (inch ID?) into the side of the main filler that is connected to the rear tank. A breather from the rear tank is plumbed into the main filler breather. By poking the fuel pump nozzle or jerry can spout into the smaller tube I can fill the rear tank.

I fill the main (underseat) tank from the rear one as I need to. A three way switch lets me check the fuel levels in either tank.

The only thing I can't really do is transfer the fuel from front to rear. Having another high pressure pump in the rear tank as a redundancy might be kinda cool.

Dunno if this helps, but that's my 10 cents worth.

Cheers.
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:44 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Brewie, the world needs Butchers, Doctors, Wheelers and Collectors. Eventually one of the collectors will buy my tank. Hell I may try your idea and I would have two to sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Soooo I wasn't gonna chime in but I guess I will just for shits and giggles you guys aren't gonna like to hear what I am about to say but I don't really care bc it's practical and a cheap and easy way to install a rear tank for less then $250, with a little fab skill. So with that said I have done this a half dozen times now and I was working on one today, I'll take a couple pics tomorrow to show the work. We have used this application on both 3.9 autos along with diesels alike it really doesn't matter only difference is that we run an external fuel pump for the EFI v8's. So what you will need is a early CJ 5 fuel tank pre 77, a rover sending unit for a side saddle tank and a few other odds and ends. The CJ fuel tank fits between the rear frame rails as if it where designed to fit! I like to roll the side lip down to make it easier to install. The side saddle sending unit mounts right in the stock CJ mount, you will need to cut the down tube to fit the shallower depth of the CJ tank. There are several ways to mount but I typically just weld two tabs on the rear cross member and a J hook on the front. I also like to use the Stock CJ skid as well for a little reinforcement. As for the filler hose I just us a 90 elbow and mount the fuel filler inside the rear tub. NO CUTS of the body are required, you just simply reach inside the wheel well to fill the tank. You guys can say what you will but this is a simple cost effect easy install that you can do in a matter of a few hours.
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:07 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

So here are a few pics of the tank install, the silver one is the one we are currently installing and the black one is another one that we did on a diesel. You can see the filler neck feeds right into the stock position that the NAS plastic tank does as well. The hardest thing is the frame supports that takes some southern engineering good luck guys is anyone wants or needs more info please feel free to pm me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2772504505.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	99897   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2307947549.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	99898  

Name:	image-418799431.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	99899   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2893323344.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	99900  

Name:	image-2347897319.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	99901   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4068212541.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	99903  

Old August 1st, 2014, 06:48 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Need to find something cheap and easy like that for the NAS 90s
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:17 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

well to go the opposite way I affixed the ROW side tank in my NAS. I cut the seatbox out and you fill it up under the pass seat. It has its own fuel guage and I transfer pump to the main tank. I think if you look in the mods section, I posted it or possibly in the tech section. If I had to do it again, I would just have the filler neck in front of the rear wheel.
Old August 5th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
well to go the opposite way I affixed the ROW side tank in my NAS. I cut the seatbox out and you fill it up under the pass seat. It has its own fuel guage and I transfer pump to the main tank. I think if you look in the mods section, I posted it or possibly in the tech section. If I had to do it again, I would just have the filler neck in front of the rear wheel.
Do you need to use the compartment under the passengers seat to do that? ( mine is full of ecu and car audio amp )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1984, fuel, fuel tank