Reinforced Tow Hitch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 11th, 2005, 11:42 AM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

Reinforced Tow Hitch

All,

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about how to increase the tounge weight capacity of the factory NAS 2'' hitch on D90's. I've got a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier that I'd like to use with my bike. The carrier is about 60 lbs and the bike is another 500lbs. I know the factory hitch with stock suspension is rated for 350 lbs.

So far the only change i've made that may help has been adding a full OME (HD front/ MD Rear) suspension and HD shocks. I've looked into those air bladders as helper springs-- but the look crappy and I believe that the OME springs are capabale of supporting the weight alone.

-Nedim

P.S. I just saw my friends Chevy 2500 has a 1000 lb tounge capacity... WOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I really think the limitation is the NAS bumper itself. You're not coming anywhere close to the load capacity of the rear springs even by carrying that weight hung off the back like that. Recall that the GVW of the D90 is 6003 lbs and the vehicle itself only weighs about 3500 lbs.

You could always remove the NAS bumper and install a crossmember mounted hitch like you see in the the LR magazines. I dont know precisely what the effect on the hitch capacity would be, but I dont think there is much that can be done for the NAS bumper's capacity.

That advice is worth precisely what you paid for it.
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

Hitch

are you speaking of a hitch like this??? Rovers North sells it and is checking on the tounge weight rating.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2005, 04:58 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

OMHO, a D-90 is the wrong vehicle for this application.

Basically, what you're looking for is a heavy-cargo hauler (~600 lbs. tongue weight). You need a pickup truck, preferably 3/4 ton or higher.

This ain't a D-90. They're supreme off-road vehicles. In large part, the reason for this is their very-long-travel and high compliance suspension system. This, plus the very short wheelbase (which makes for a great break-over angle), makes them very poor for hauling. Hanging that amount of weight off the back end will make for a very bad driving experience.

Yes, the GVWR is 6000 lbs. But the main reason for this is to avoid the gas-guzzler tax. It can handle this weight if it's even distributed in the interior between front and rear. But the vehcle is just plain not designed to handle alot of tongue weight.
Old March 16th, 2005, 03:42 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I thought some of you might be interested in this.

I have been looking for a 2" hitch receiver for my 110, it already has a pintle mount that I don't realy need. I was looking at the RN one but $200 was a little rich for me. I just found this one(bottom of the page).

http://www.wrightparts.com/

With a 10000 lbs rating and $50 it could be the solution. I also like that it will sit up higher and not hang below the rear cross member.

Does anyone have any idea how much wieght the rear crossmember can take?
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:19 AM
jabber
m j

Do you have to drop the gas tank to put something like that on? Or is there enough room to squeeze the bolts in?

I just got a pintle hitch (gotta love Ebay!) and am going to be putting it on soon.
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:47 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

You can get dixon bate tow points and others installed without dropping the tank, it's tight, but I did it. So I think that would work. Might look goofy though.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I took my pintle off without dropping the tank, but I don't have the tank guard off at the moment so that might get in the way. Did the pintle come with a mounting kit? Mine was mounted a little different then I expected, I can take photos of it if you need.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:02 PM
jabber
m j

I'd love to see pics... My pintle is actually a straight forward bolt up to the rear crossmember (the holes line up nicely). I was thinking of reinforcing the xmember with some steel plate.
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

Reinforced Tow Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler110
I thought some of you might be interested in this.

I have been looking for a 2" hitch receiver for my 110, it already has a pintle mount that I don't realy need. I was looking at the RN one but $200 was a little rich for me. I just found this one(bottom of the page).

http://www.wrightparts.com/

With a 10000 lbs rating and $50 it could be the solution. I also like that it will sit up higher and not hang below the rear cross member.

Does anyone have any idea how much wieght the rear crossmember can take?
The max carrying capaicity of the rear crossmember is really what I'm looking to find out. I spoke to the folks at Rovers North and they believed that the stock NAS rear bumper could handle more weight than a hitch mounted on the crossmember since the stock one mounts up to the corners of the crossmember while these hitches mount to the center (which they believed was weaker)
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkD90
The max carrying capaicity of the rear crossmember is really what I'm looking to find out. I spoke to the folks at Rovers North and they believed that the stock NAS rear bumper could handle more weight than a hitch mounted on the crossmember since the stock one mounts up to the corners of the crossmember while these hitches mount to the center (which they believed was weaker)
Is it just me or does that sound backwards? And don't all the Defenders in the UK have their hitches on the center of the cross member?
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I guess it makes sense if the stock bumper is distributing the load but military 110's use a pintle mount bolted to the croos member and then use Sankey trailers to haul around some good loads. Most hitches are designed to distribute the load from the rear bumper to the chassis but the rear cross member is the chassis.

I will have to find out what the cross member is rated to.

Jabber: My home computer is down so I haven't been able to post the photos yet. The pintle is bolted with the four bolts but there are two thick plates of steel that sandwich the rearcross member. So looking at it from the pintle it would be the pintle, a thick piece of steel, the cross member, another thick piece of steel and then two nuts on each bolt. I'll get the thickness of the two pieces of steel for you.
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:18 PM
jabber
m j

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler110
Jabber: My home computer is down so I haven't been able to post the photos yet. The pintle is bolted with the four bolts but there are two thick plates of steel that sandwich the rearcross member. So looking at it from the pintle it would be the pintle, a thick piece of steel, the cross member, another thick piece of steel and then two nuts on each bolt. I'll get the thickness of the two pieces of steel for you.
No problem... I think the thickness is more important than anything. As I realize the Xmember thickness wouldn't really hold up.

Also, Do you think you could get me pic/s of how the military bonnet latches attach to the wings and bonnet.
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:55 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Here's a diagram of the pintle mount, I'll get the thicknesses for you. No problem on the hood latches.

I also found that these pintles are rated at 4 tons.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (921.1 KB, 134 views)
Old March 19th, 2005, 12:22 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

with the above diagram: #5 is 5/16" thick, #6 is 1/4" thick.

# 6 is a square piece that covers the rear cross member from top to bottom and #5 fits into the back of the cross member so is shorter but wider then #6.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hitch